How To Restrict Navigation?
I currently have a custom favorite on the main menu screen that links directly into my emulators in the advanced launcher. 99% of the time, when I hit the "BACKSPACE" key to back out to the main menu, it goes directly there from my custom favorites menu.

However, here is where the problems comes the other 1%...

Occasionally, when I hit the "BACKSPACE" key to back out, instead of going up to the main menu, it backs out to the "DEFAULT" category menu of the Add-On. Then, if I hit back again, it goes up to the Add-Ons menu. Then, after hitting it the third time, if finally goes back out to the main menu. This is extremely problematic in trying to run my XBMC in full "Kiosk" mode so users don't get confused and start having to figure out menus.

I'd like to essentially have a two menu system: main menu > emulators (via the custom favorite) and then back out in the same way from the emulators > main menu without going in-between to the add-ons menu.

Any thoughts in what causes this or how to restrict it? I'd be willing to edit XML files if needed.
Are you including the "return" parameter in all these cases to tell it to go back directly to your launching-off point?
(2013-07-09, 18:26)artrafael Wrote: Are you including the "return" parameter in all these cases to tell it to go back directly to your launching-off point?

If I'm understanding your question, that sounds like something that would been included in some type of XML edit. Up till this point I have not had to do any of that.

To accomplish my goal I added the emulator level of the advanced launcher to my "Favorites." Then, in the settings menu I created a "Custom Favorites" panel. I named it "Emulators" and selected the Favorite from the list. I then used the "Hide" option in Night-Eden to remove all other menus from the main menu screen so only the "Emulators" custom menu is visible.

So, I turn on XBMC, get the splash screen, from the splash screen I get a singe menu option titled "Emulators." When I select Emulators, it takes me inside advanced launcher when I can pick the console, which takes me inside that menu to the ROMS for that system.

It's when I start backing out from here in order to get back from these levels and going back up is where I sometimes get dumped into the Add-Ons menu. Sometimes not and it just goes back up to the title screen as planned. It's kind of hit or miss. I'd like to restrict this somehow so it only navigates to certain screens.

Any thoughts?
You could remap the back key to go straight to the home screen instead. My key map here has a example of the command that is needed:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1448025
(2013-07-09, 20:30)xbmcmod101 Wrote: When I select Emulators, it takes me inside advanced launcher when I can pick the console, which takes me inside that menu to the ROMS for that system.

It's when I start backing out from here in order to get back from these levels and going back up is where I sometimes get dumped into the Add-Ons menu. Sometimes not and it just goes back up to the title screen as planned. It's kind of hit or miss. I'd like to restrict this somehow so it only navigates to certain screens.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to pose the question over on the Advanced Launcher add-on thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724

Someone there may have some ideas as to why the behavior is inconsistent.
(2013-07-09, 20:49)teeedubb Wrote: You could remap the back key to go straight to the home screen instead. My key map here has a example of the command that is needed:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1448025

I'd be willing to try that. I checked the keymaps folder but it was empty. How would I go about settings custom nav keys that could help in this regard?
Yes its empty by default. Any key maps in the user directory will override xbmcs defaults, so your need to create one. You can copy over the one from the xbmc system directory and edit that, but I prefer to keep just my changes in the user key map to keep it easy to maintain. I'd post an example but copy and paste doesn't keep the formatting on my phone, but a key map with just that change will be 7 lines, lines 2 to 5 plus the 3 closing tags in my example. The wiki is very helpful with this.
(2013-07-09, 23:36)teeedubb Wrote: Yes its empty by default. Any key maps in the user directory will override xbmcs defaults, so your need to create one. You can copy over the one from the xbmc system directory and edit that, but I prefer to keep just my changes in the user key map to keep it easy to maintain. I'd post an example but copy and paste doesn't keep the formatting on my phone, but a key map with just that change will be 7 lines, lines 2 to 5 plus the 3 closing tags in my example. The wiki is very helpful with this.

Thanks for the help. I did find the nav XMLs in the keymap folder and have been experimenting with them. I have someone looking in the Advanced Launcher issue, but in the mean time I'm trying to develop a plan B. Here is what I've come up with, yet I've hit another small snag.

Using the "keyboard" XML file as an example, you find the entry for what the BACKSPACE and ESC keys do. In the Settings menus of XBMC, when you create a custom favorite, fortunately it lists the exact XML command in the menu: IE: ActivateWindow(10001,"plugin...etc).

So, if coped this down and replaced the command in the "keyboard" XML file of the BACKSPACE key entry with this. So now, no matter where I am in my setup, it always dumps me out into the Emulator select screen when hitting the backspace key...which essentially is what I wanted. So...small victory there.

However, here is the only little issue with this:

Lets say you have 10 emulators. Atari being the first and PlayStation being the last. So, when the emulator screen loads you have to scroll over 10 spots to reach the PlayStation emulator in order to play those games. Now, you select the PSX and you get the game library. Now, under this setup, if I were to hit the backspace key with the newly alerted keystroke, it dumps me back out into the emulator select screen BUT back at the first entry on the left, which would be "A" for Atari. Normally, it would back out one level up, but stay on the last focused panel, which should be the PlayStation since it was the one I had just selected. It may seem nit-picky but I can see this being a slight annoyance for users.

Is there any way to alter the XML file to add some type of command to return to the last highlighted or "focused" panel used?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How To Restrict Navigation?0