• 4(current)
OUYA users: read this!
(2013-07-17, 10:22)kees667 Wrote: Does dvd play fluent for you guys? Hard to say exactly but it doesnt look fully smooth, the occasional frame blinks and i see some stuttering. It is watcheable but it is not Relaxed to look at. Easily noticeable in panning shots (I know panning is never fluent unless you let your tv do tricks but it looks worse and easy to tell here) Looks like it small stutters in a fixed rhythm. Could also be interlacing or upscaling. Now all set to auto, is that the recommended setting? Will test some more.

Maybe hardware accelerated decoding of mpeg2 is not supported in libstagefright version of XBMC yet?
I have same problem in playing recorded mpeg2 ts file and ATSC live tv.
XBMC Korean User Group
http://xbmc-korea.com
Thanks. Maybe someone knows. Find it hard to tell from the specs exactly but my eyes dont fool me. will try and test some more.

(2013-07-18, 09:34)epoke Wrote:
(2013-07-17, 10:22)kees667 Wrote: Does dvd play fluent for you guys? Hard to say exactly but it doesnt look fully smooth, the occasional frame blinks and i see some stuttering. It is watcheable but it is not Relaxed to look at. Easily noticeable in panning shots (I know panning is never fluent unless you let your tv do tricks but it looks worse and easy to tell here) Looks like it small stutters in a fixed rhythm. Could also be interlacing or upscaling. Now all set to auto, is that the recommended setting? Will test some more.

Maybe hardware accelerated decoding of mpeg2 is not supported in libstagefright version of XBMC yet?
I have same problem in playing recorded mpeg2 ts file and ATSC live tv.
Just ran some of the test files from the first post here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005, they can be found here: http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

Harry potter had audio out of sync
vc1_1080p_l3_18mbps_ac3_hddvd.mkv stutters heavily but the onscreen stats (o on keyboard) dont show it
vc1_1080p_ap_l3_18mbps_ac3_hddvd.mkv only audio and no image

can someone please confirm these findings? all logs posted for devs in the other thread but seeing all the positive posts I just want to check I might not have messed my settings up or something

Could we add a section for recommended settings in the wiki perhaps? There are some choices that might affect performance and are Ouya specific:
-in system/video there is an option to prefer windowed
-I read a hint somewehere to (for now) disable rss
-while playing, under video, you can set deinterlace and scalers, should these be set to auto?
-always sync display (let driver choose)

etc, so not personal favorites like time in 24h or am/pm but the hardware stuff?
(2013-07-18, 21:06)kees667 Wrote: Could we add a section for recommended settings in the wiki perhaps? There are some choices that might affect performance and are Ouya specific:
-in system/video there is an option to prefer windowed
-I read a hint somewehere to (for now) disable rss
-while playing, under video, you can set deinterlace and scalers, should these be set to auto?
-always sync display (let driver choose)

1. I don't believe that changes anything in Android.
2. RSS feed can effect GUI performance on the home screen, but the OUYA is beefy enough that this really isn't a concern, at least not on Confluence.

3 and 4. not sure. I think it depends on the connected display if these settings will play nicely.
Thanks, if someone knows you are :-). Mainly trying to rule out why some of the default test files have issues here, I see mainly people adding here that all works fine.
Thank you for the ouya wiki. I've been playing with Alpha 5. One thing I can find anywhere is the milk drop for the android. Does it exists or can it be enabled for the OUYA?
I don't think anyone has ported it to OpenGLES, so all ARM platforms are without milkdrop.
(2013-07-23, 23:30)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think anyone has ported it to OpenGLES, so all ARM platforms are without milkdrop.

Is this what you mean? http://projectm.sourceforge.net/

If this is, how do I feature request.
Ah, that's right, they did get a port going. We just need someone to find some time to turn it into an XBMC binary add-on.
I found my problem from page 5. I knew there was something wrong because files that played fine before stopped playing fine. I went in the options, one by one, items that i could have changed or i knew that i played with. I found this one :

Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars (%)
Allow video player to try to fit video to screen by ignoring aspect ratio by a certain amount.

I had that up to 2%. I turned that off. No more buffering the file every few secs (to mins).
(2013-07-24, 05:14)Ned Scott Wrote: Ah, that's right, they did get a port going. We just need someone to find some time to turn it into an XBMC binary add-on.

Cool. How do we get it on the list or find someone?
(2013-07-27, 00:03)queonda Wrote:
(2013-07-24, 05:14)Ned Scott Wrote: Ah, that's right, they did get a port going. We just need someone to find some time to turn it into an XBMC binary add-on.

Cool. How do we get it on the list or find someone?

Find developers with time. I think there might have been some interest from the Team in getting more visualizations on ARM, but all our ARM people are fairly busy right now. I do have some ideas on how maybe to organize some "wanted tasks" list with pointers from the Team, so outside devs can see what's waiting to be done and where they can start to help. It's something I've been meaning to propose to the rest of the team. This is the kind of thing where it would be perfect, where it's a feature we want, but we just don't have enough hands to do it.
Am I correct that a new account is needed to edit the Ouya wiki?
Saw this part: "Wifi on the OUYA might not be enough for some HD streams. In this case, using wired ethernet is recommended. " I'd like to change that to "WiFi might not be..." as this is not an Ouya issue, WiFi simply cant run all HD files.

Also very curious about the remark that android runs only 60hz. On my linux/xbmc installation on my normal pc I have settings to adjust refresh rate etc. What does it really mean that it only outputs 60hz, that all pall 25fps files stutter? I guess 29,9 and 30 will work fine? It is a part I always find hard to understand but I cant imagine Ouya cant play 25fps files fluently.
correct. Click the log-in link at the right-hand top corner, then click request account.

However, I would disagree that wifi can't handle HD. While I'd certainly say to avoid it whenever possible, most of the issues is that not all wifi is created equal. Of course, this assumes that various environmental issues are also not an issue, but things like having multiple antennas will drastically change how well wireless-n performs. Most ARM set-top-boxes seem to only have one antenna, which just kill the signal. The good ARM devices, which right now is mostly recent phones and tablets, have at least 4 antennas, 2-in, 2-out, and handle a lot of stuff very well.

It's even possible to use external USB wifi adapters on many Android set-top-boxes and drastically improve wifi performance, depending on the driver support for that Android box.

As for the refresh rate question, I'm not sure. I don't know if the limitation is set by Android itself, or just how a particular Android ROM is made. For example, I know that 1080 is totally possible and has been done on many devices that mostly just do 720, because someone made a 1080-enabled Android ROM for that device. I don't know if the same is possible for refresh rate, so I can only speculate on that.
refresh rate issue is an Ouya one, AMLogic and others do not not have this issue. Ouya is just not thinking outside the box.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OUYA users: read this!2