• 3(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2013-07-25, 01:02)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-07-25, 00:06)mcarni Wrote: I rebooted several times but no luck...
this is the update log:
http://pastebin.com/D91JETb3

This is your problem
Code:
00:02:49 T:3061321728  NOTICE: ARM mem: 192MB GPU mem: 64MB

64M is not enough GPU mem for video playback. You want:
Code:
arm_mem=128
in config.txt.

thank you very much, I am on my way to work... so no much time for testing more than 1 file....
anyway I found out that I had commented out gpu_mem in the config.txt...I restored it to 128 and checked one of the files I couldn't open yesterday and now it works....

thanks a lot you are brilliant

M
@doveman2: about your pictures issue, could it be this: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2461 ? Running rbej's Gotham right?
@sraue
Quote:would like to have some testers for this (Frodo / OpenELEC 3.1.3 based) build:
http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/tes...r15163.tar

its mainly based on OpenELEC 3.1.3 with XBMC Frodo but with some Gotham backports from Popcornmix's Frodo backport branch. Any issues which are introduced with this build compared to 3.1.3 should be reported here. If it works (good) i will release this as 3.1.4 very soon.

thanks

I have no option to test pvr options so mainly I've been streaming some Internet TV channels and watching 1080p HD x264 movies with DTS, AC3, and AAC sound. Everything seems very good so far rw/ff works great. It's been streaming a HD channel while I slept so general stability is defenatly not a issue and its still in sync.

I have not seen the "now playing" getting stuck to screen as pootler but again I can not test live pvr. No issues here with the remote at all. (using CEC)

Have to agree best openELEC build so far. Will test some SD movies and plugins today.

Oh.. One tiny cosmetic bug: the shutdown menu needs to be trimmed (sleep, suspend)

Thanks! Will post during the day if I encounter anything odd.

Regards
(2013-07-25, 08:19)tuxen Wrote: @doveman2: about your pictures issue, could it be this: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2461 ? Running rbej's Gotham right?

Ah thanks, that's probably the problem then. Sometimes it only crashed when pressing Back to exit out of the fullscreen slideshow but maybe the same thumbnail routines get triggered then, so I'll try disabling thumbnail generation and see if I can reproduce.
(2013-07-24, 19:37)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-07-24, 12:57)doveman2 Wrote: I've been trying out some overclocks now that I seem to have got it stable at default

I tried

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6

If you're bumping up your sdram_freq, you probably also want to increase your over_voltage_sdram to avoid memory corruption.

What over_voltage_sdram should I use for sdram_freq=450, 500 and 600?
(2013-07-25, 08:19)tuxen Wrote: @doveman2: about your pictures issue, could it be this: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2461 ? Running rbej's Gotham right?

Yep, seems to be OK with thumbnail generation disabled Smile

Poweroff is working again now I'm testing back at home as well! Apart from being connected to a different network, the only difference is that I had a USB HDD plugged into the hub but I've tried with a USB stick here and it still works. Even the lit-hub seems OK at the moment Confused

As for the high CPU for a long time when starting XBMC, in this log I waited until it had settled down and then entered Pictures, which I did at 16:12:56 (log starts at 16:11:38), so that's 1m18s but I guess XBMC doesn't appear on screen until later in the log, maybe at

16:12:08 T:3062099968 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------

so that's 44s. I didn't enter Pictures immediately it settled down, maybe 3s later, so call it 41s. I'm wondering if there's anything that can be trimmed from the startup process so that the CPU isn't busy for so long, to make the UI more usable earlier?

Opening a picture, it takes about 8s before it appears (see 16:13:04 - 16:13:11). I notice the free RAM rolled down from 325MB to around 278MB and then once the picture appeared, went back up to 325MB, so I presume it's loading the picture into RAM during this time and then dumping it into the GPU VRAM, so maybe that process can be improved?

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=39407
hi tuxan,

this dev build is definetely promising.

I use a lot of live tv and it seems fine - except for the intermittent ''now playing'' menu

I get the intermittent menu on all video sources? - be it films or you tube, etc.
I use a hauppauge remote which can sometimes be a bit unresponsive, but the behaviour I mention is not usual Smile

I don't have any problem with speed of shutdown - in fact its the latest rbej builds that I have problems with in this - I also really struggle updating latest rbej builds, they all seem to crash on updating!

cheers

pootler
(2013-07-25, 13:05)doveman2 Wrote: What over_voltage_sdram should I use for sdram_freq=450, 500 and 600?

Whatever works best for you. There are various strategies for overclocking - start incrementing each value until your hit your desired overclock (or fail to reach it). Or, as I did, start with the maximum overclock you hoped to achieve using the highest power values likely to make that overclock possible (ie. 1000/500/600/+6/+6), then start winding down the power values until you reach minimum stable values (in my case +4/+4, although actually +3/+3 was probably stable, however I preferred having a safety margin despite every so slightly higher temperatures).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-07-25, 19:46)MilhouseVH Wrote: Whatever works best for you. There are various strategies for overclocking - start incrementing each value until your hit your desired overclock (or fail to reach it). Or, as I did, start with the maximum overclock you hoped to achieve using the highest power values likely to make that overclock possible (ie. 1000/500/600/+6/+6), then start winding down the power values until you reach minimum stable values (in my case +4/+4, although actually +3/+3 was probably stable, however I preferred having a safety margin despite every so slightly higher temperatures).

OK, thanks. I'll probably just start with arm_freq=1000 and over_voltage=6 and then try reducing the latter if it's stable and then look at tweaking the others.
In latest build still tv channel switching by typing a # doesn't work. Really no idea how to solve it?
I've tested all three of my Belkin F5u700 hubs, two with the LEDs intact and one which I removed them from and they all seem to get rather hot. The USB sockets on the side exposed to the outside of my case are not quite hot enough to burn me but still uncomfortably warm to hold my fingers on. In comparison, my desktop 7-port hub is quite warm in the middle but not around the sockets.

My desktop hub is obviously not enclosed in a case but still I wouldn't expect the Belkin hub to get quite so hot. I'll try leaving it outside the case and see if that makes it much cooler. Does anyone else who's using a hub with their Pi find it gets rather hot?

EDIT: Nope, even outside the case it gets just as hot, so it's not due to a lack of ventilation. I think I already tried this (and found it ran cool) but I'll try unplugging the remote receiver so that there's nothing except the Pi's cable connected to it but I don't see why the draw for the remote receiver, which shouldn't be that much, should make the hub so hot.

Does anyone know what section of remote.xml applies to the menu that appears when pressing left or right (or up/down depending on the view) in Movies or Music? I've got the contextmenu covered, which appears when I press Info on an item but I need to set a key for this other menu (that shows View, Sort By, toggle Library Mode, etc).
You mean the "View Options" menu? I don't think there's a function for that, it's basically a skin feature (press left in Confluence etc.). What skin are you using?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-07-25, 18:34)pootler Wrote: hi tuxan,

this dev build is definetely promising.

I use a lot of live tv and it seems fine - except for the intermittent ''now playing'' menu

I get the intermittent menu on all video sources? - be it films or you tube, etc.
I use a hauppauge remote which can sometimes be a bit unresponsive, but the behaviour I mention is not usual Smile

I don't have any problem with speed of shutdown - in fact its the latest rbej builds that I have problems with in this - I also really struggle updating latest rbej builds, they all seem to crash on updating!

cheers

pootler
Yep.. There is a SQL error in the build though. Look at http://openelec.tv so we have to wait for 3.1.5

When I mentioned shutdown I meant the menu had to many options than nesseary. Wink
About updating and the menu, could it be maybe you are overclocked to high?

What do you use for live tv as its something I'd very much like to look into?
(2013-07-25, 20:21)MilhouseVH Wrote: You mean the "View Options" menu? I don't think there's a function for that, it's basically a skin feature (press left in Confluence etc.). What skin are you using?

I'm using xTV-SAF. I would've thought it's a core menu as it has quite a few options that seem essential but I could be wrong.

I just want to be able to close it with my back button, as I'm used to pressing that to close other menus but with this one open, it stays open and goes up to the parent folder in the view behind it, so when I manage to properly close the menu, I then have to drill back into the folder I was in.
(2013-07-25, 00:13)allan87 Wrote:
(2013-07-24, 23:19)Koloss Wrote: - i cannot restart xbmc, when i click restart after i must disconnect the cable of pi
in openelec official builds it running

Instead of disconnecting power, you might try SSHing to the Pi and issuing a reboot command in the terminal. I would expect this to be less likely to corrupt your installation.

Rbej: can you test the reboot procedure?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223