Ouya or Lenovo q190... your thoughts please
Basically I have read good things regarding these two. All I want it for is to stream straight from the Internet to tv. 1080 or 720 would be fine. Will need to decode dts if I was to play my collection via nas so able to passthrough dts would be better. This will not be over wifi it will be hardwired to router . One is £100 and the other is £220
Would there be much difference between the two and do both suit my needs. YOUR THOUGHTS ARE NEEDED.
Thanks in advance
(2013-08-15, 10:57)beanie9700 Wrote: Basically I have read good things regarding these two. All I want it for is to stream straight from the Internet to tv. 1080 or 720 would be fine. Will need to decode dts if I was to play my collection via nas so able to passthrough dts would be better. This will not be over wifi it will be hardwired to router . One is £100 and the other is £220
Would there be much difference between the two and do both suit my needs. YOUR THOUGHTS ARE NEEDED.
Thanks in advance

What kind of video collection you have in your NAS? For internet streaming any android box would work and q190 would be an overkill. But if you plan to stream hd videos(blu-ray quality) from NAS and expect to get HD audio(DTS-MA, Dobly HD), q190 is the way to go.
Hi. I mainly just want it to stream either 720 or 1080 from the Internet. If I was to stream via my nas all my films are 720p with 5.1 dts or ac3 etc... not really bothered about hd audio etc...see I saw this the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5TafdPP...ata_player and it got me thinking would a raspberry pi with this guys raspbmc setup be as good as the ouya. I know android aint really ready yet but from what I have read its got developers working on it. Too many options imo.
I have 3 x Rasp Pi Model B.

2 are hooked to my Tv's, 1 is just my library update for my centralized Database.

Openelec on the pi just plain works, no issues.

I would highly recommend the pi I do have mine overclocked; however, the one disclaimer if you want different skins like aeon then the pi is not for you. If you are ok with confluence then the pi works really well.

I also have an ouya, as you stated it is not ready for prime time yet, even the libstagefright version has issues because of it being beta. When Gotham officially comes out this may change, but even with the recommended Gotham Beta release I get audio sync issues and still a little stutter on 1080p movies.

I do not see nay of these issues on my Pi's.
(2013-08-16, 15:34)dladrach Wrote: I have 3 x Rasp Pi Model B.

2 are hooked to my Tv's, 1 is just my library update for my centralized Database.

Openelec on the pi just plain works, no issues.

I would highly recommend the pi I do have mine overclocked; however, the one disclaimer if you want different skins like aeon then the pi is not for you. If you are ok with confluence then the pi works really well.

I also have an ouya, as you stated it is not ready for prime time yet, even the libstagefright version has issues because of it being beta. When Gotham officially comes out this may change, but even with the recommended Gotham Beta release I get audio sync issues and still a little stutter on 1080p movies.

I do not see nay of these issues on my Pi's.

I second this. Raspberry pi overclocked and running off a usb drive works great.
But the OUYA is also a nice free to play gaming console.
You can use the controller for XBMC as well.

And you can side load allot of stuff.
e.g. Netflix, Plex, Spotify, Youtube, web browser

Also the development just started and more functionality will come in the future.
Hello guys..

IMHO... The Q190 outperforms the OUYA on a few major levels so to me there is no comparison between these two.

1: OUYA has major Audio syncing issues and 1080p video's tend to stutter, very annoying
2: There is no DTS or HD audio PassThru(No Bitstreaming is a Deal breaker IMHO at least the MX2 does DTS)
3: I had to put in my personal CC information prior to gaining access to the Dashboard for the first time so I could load XBMC. Maybe there is a workaround for this but I haven't found it yet!
4: My experience with streaming Video from my NAS via WiFi was horrible.
5: The Q190 is a much more powerful HTPC capable of running XBMC on several different platforms and none of the above issues.

I picked the OUYA up yesterday and played with it a bit. XBMC GUI was very snappy but these few issues have me leaning toward retuning it. If it's an Android box I'd prefer the MX2. But go the Q190 route FTW!!!
I don't think comparing the Ouya to the Q190 is a fair comparison, a little of Apples to Oranges IMO.
(2013-08-16, 17:08)CpTHOOK Wrote: Hello guys..

IMHO... The Q190 outperforms the OUYA on a few major levels so to me there is no comparison between these two.

1: OUYA has major Audio syncing issues and 1080p video's tend to stutter, very annoying
2: There is no DTS or HD audio PassThru(No Bitstreaming is a Deal breaker IMHO at least the MX2 does DTS)
3: I had to put in my personal CC information prior to gaining access to the Dashboard for the first time so I could load XBMC. Maybe there is a workaround for this but I haven't found it yet!
4: My experience with streaming Video from my NAS via WiFi was horrible.
5: The Q190 is a much more powerful HTPC capable of running XBMC on several different platforms and none of the above issues.

I picked the OUYA up yesterday and played with it a bit. XBMC GUI was very snappy but these few issues have me leaning toward retuning it. If it's an Android box I'd prefer the MX2. But go the Q190 route FTW!!!
audio sync issues? what type of video file are you playing
(2013-08-17, 05:40)tennisbgc Wrote: audio sync issues? what type of video file are you playing
Mostly mkv and M2TS...nothing out of the ordinary, files that play on my MX2 without hiccup. Had to adjust the Audio offset setting waaaaay to much, very annoying! With this, the 1080p stuttering issues and the inability to pass-through DTS, it's promptly going back to Best Buy in the AM.
On the raspberry pi I have seen alot advertised with a sd card with noobs on. Can you install raspbmc to usb from this card or do you need to wipe the noobs off and install raspbmc from windows pc.
The thing with the Ouya that really puts me of is the WIFI. It might as well come out as "I don't have wifi" in its advertisements and therefore no one will be dissapointed.

I don't think you are being fair CpTHOOK, how long did it take to get an acceptable level of performance from the Raspberry Pi, half a year? granted it was linux and not android but look how far libstagefright has come along by Koying in the last 2 months. I've heard it actually runs 1080p smooth no problem and in 3 months its going to be a beast of a platform for XBMC.

beanie9700 this is my 2 cents buy the Ouya, even though in this thread everyone is saying its not good I've heard many people say that its the best. They've also said it plays smooth 1080p and also it gives you a chance to ride the wave of getting better every month and enjoying the experience. Since all you want is to stream from internet to the tv Ouya is both cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and I'm sure all the bugs will be worked on (how many people own an ouya...very vibrant comunity) also DTS is being worked on so will come in the future. And you said you won't be using the WIFI so no problems there

worst case return it or put it on Ebay for $20 loss and don't forget its actually a console that is getting more and more free games to try...

Ouya man

(2013-08-18, 00:23)beanie9700 Wrote: On the raspberry pi I have seen alot advertised with a sd card with noobs on. Can you install raspbmc to usb from this card or do you need to wipe the noobs off and install raspbmc from windows pc.

Yes you would need to erase and format to install raspbmc. But to get the best out of the Raspberry Pi I strongly advise to run of a budget USB 3 install, so get a cheap as hell sd card and not a pre installed inflated one that charge you extra just to install something that will take a minute yourself.

I own a raspberry Pi and have Over clocked it alot. Its awesome device and plays really good but at the end of all the cost and time involved you might as well got something more powerful for only slighlty more and less time involved with the learning curve, especially since the raspberry Pi has almost come to the end of its journey and MUCH MORE capable devices that cost the same are coming along. Atleast 10 times better...
(2013-08-18, 00:37)MediaPi Wrote: I don't think you are being fair CpTHOOK, how long did it take to get an acceptable level of performance from the Raspberry Pi, half a year? granted it was linux and not android but look how far libstagefright has come along by Koying in the last 2 months. I've heard it actually runs 1080p smooth no problem and in 3 months its going to be a beast of a platform for XBMC.

I never mentioned the Pi bro...I don't own one. Sorry if you misunderstood my post! I think what your saying is that I should give the OUYA time to develop past it's infancy like the Pi in hopes that it will get past it's current hiccups?

I'm currently tinkering with the MX2, the Q-190 and the OUYA. Since the monetary costs to me was minimal.. I've decided to keep the OUYA after all despite the out-of-box performance experienced so far. I'm hoping that new development and firmware will make it far more useable than it is currently. There are some major areas that the OUYA needs work on.... I'm gonna be patient based upon the suggestions of my bro's in the XBMC Android struggle with meHuh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya or Lenovo q190... your thoughts please0