• 44(current)
Archive - old posts
(2013-08-21, 22:43)pecinko Wrote: Why would running 1080 hurt RPi. Shouldn't it be more about size of textures? I'll be glad to finally understand this 1080 vs 720 rpi problem.

The GL framebuffer is triple buffered, 32bpp. So for 1080p you require 24MB.
For 720p you require 12MB.

That extra 12MB of gpu memory is significant. It means you have room for far fewer textures at once.

(on a 512M pi, it's not so much of an issue - but you may need to increase gpu_mem to compensate).
(2013-08-21, 22:43)pecinko Wrote: I have this problem on Mac mini. It can't be running out of memory problem.

Okay - I though this had only been reported on Pi. Agreed, it's not likely to be memory if it affects a Mac too.
(2013-08-21, 22:16)baruchin Wrote: Is this new? There's no buffering porcentage meter appearing automatically on the screen in streaming addons. I have to bring OSD or info to know why the video is freezing. Can you bring back this please?

It is there for me.

(2013-08-21, 22:23)danmedhurst Wrote: Awesome.. got the new version from the repo... Posters for tvshows are now all working after going into each show and manually setting the poster.. not sure why it wasn't setting itself but thats not a skin problem..

2) My RSS Feed no longer seems to work.. just a blank box in the bottom left..

RSS is working for me.

(2013-08-21, 23:02)calhaus Wrote: Hey pencinko i've finished the translation to portuguese (portuguese from Portugal), here you have the link with strings.xml:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jar3p70t1ngdy...uguese.zip

Thanks!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-08-21, 23:28)popcornmix Wrote: The GL framebuffer is triple buffered, 32bpp. So for 1080p you require 24MB.
For 720p you require 12MB.

That extra 12MB of gpu memory is significant. It means you have room for far fewer textures at once.

(on a 512M pi, it's not so much of an issue - but you may need to increase gpu_mem to compensate).

Amber textures are only 11MB (if loaded all at once). How does this come into account?

(2013-08-21, 23:32)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 22:43)pecinko Wrote: I have this problem on Mac mini. It can't be running out of memory problem.

Okay - I though this had only been reported on Pi. Agreed, it's not likely to be memory if it affects a Mac too.

Indeed. Take a look at screenshot, first item in upper shelf is the same as selected one on the second. Fist shelf is using built-it recently added, second shelf is using skin.widgets

My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Works like a treat on my pi.
Favourites are back
Very fast
No image issues

Only problem is the delay populating the tv and movie recently added shelf and favourites shelf. But that is only a problem after a reboot and they are not regular things.
Amazing work pecinko. Thanks for the great skin and if there is a donate button please point me at it!

Now for a request. . what's the chance of getting the selection to automatics go to Next unwatched episode when you browse a tv series?
Still using Amber, and noticed the vertical OSD.. I think that the horizontal was cleaner therefore better, but it's not a terrible one. It takes a little getting used to.
It doesn't bother me due to the transparency. The vertical menu bothers me due to the lack of transparency Wink

One thing I can't seem to find is the music player to enable my artist fanart plugin??
(2013-08-22, 10:05)pecinko Wrote: Amber textures are only 11MB (if loaded all at once). How does this come into account?
Depending on fanartres/imageres each fanart and cover image requires texture memory on gpu.

The skin widgets adds 16 covers to main screen, plus the background.
The background is probably 1920x1080x32bpp. The covers are perhaps 364x512x32bpp.
So that requires 8MB+16*750K=20MB of GPU memory.
There's also various other bits of menus/borders/text that will be textures on gpu.
(2013-08-22, 12:43)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-08-22, 10:05)pecinko Wrote: Amber textures are only 11MB (if loaded all at once). How does this come into account?
Depending on fanartres/imageres each fanart and cover image requires texture memory on gpu.

The skin widgets adds 16 covers to main screen, plus the background.
The background is probably 1920x1080x32bpp. The covers are perhaps 364x512x32bpp.
So that requires 8MB+16*750K=20MB of GPU memory.
There's also various other bits of menus/borders/text that will be textures on gpu.

OK, last question and I'll leave you alone, promise Smile

What changes 720 vs 1080 wise in example above?

I understand defining smaller background and thumbs res in advanced settings - it will cache smaller images. In the example above shouldn't amount of eaten GPU stay the same, regardless of 1080 vs 720? I.e. you have fanartres set to 512 so I would expect background image to be cached to that size. Similar for covers. Now, with 720 output, you just stretch those to fill coordinates defined in the skin. Now, since TV is HD you probably upscale the whole thing by 1,5

With 1080 you do the same but without final upscaling? This would mean that used GPU memory is influenced by thumbres and fanartres in advanced settings rather than forcing the whole GUI to 720, which affects labels and such as well.

Just trying to understand in order to be able to optimise Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Thank you for this skin, it really is the best looking, cleanest and fastest skin I found for my RPi.
I have compiled a small list of - I wouldn't call it bugs - but things I noticed and that you might want to fix before the final release:
  • Could you let the user manually set the settings menu background, too?
    I changed backgrounds/System.jpg to use the same image as everything else. It would be easier to be able to set it directly in the settings.
  • Another thing I noticed when changing that very image, though I'm not sure if it's skin-related:
    The exact same image file has a little more contrast in the settings menu than in the rest of the skin.
  • The scrollbar in the addon list is on the left side (I expected it on the right for one column lists).
  • The small Quit/Shutdown/Reboot icons literally look a little rough around the edges and could need some smoothing.
  • Nothing for the final release but still: When I uncommented the Loading.gif part in DialogBusy.xml, the little spinner was far off.
    I changed the values to posx: 842, posy: 558.
    Can you change those default values or maybe even give users a choice to toggle the icon?
By the way, I also translated the string.xml into German: http://www.mediafire.com/?26o26jhjarvdu6r
(2013-08-22, 13:46)Shinrai Wrote: Thank you for this skin, it really is the best looking, cleanest and fastest skin I found for my RPi.
I have compiled a small list of - I wouldn't call it bugs - but things I noticed and that you might want to fix before the final release:
  • Could you let the user manually set the settings menu background, too?
    I changed backgrounds/System.jpg to use the same image as everything else. It would be easier to be able to set it directly in the settings.
  • Another thing I noticed when changing that very image, though I'm not sure if it's skin-related:
    The exact same image file has a little more contrast in the settings menu than in the rest of the skin.
  • The scrollbar in the addon list is on the left side (I expected it on the right for one column lists).
  • The small Quit/Shutdown/Reboot icons literally look a little rough around the edges and could need some smoothing.
  • Nothing for the final release but still: When I uncommented the Loading.gif part in DialogBusy.xml, the little spinner was far off.
    I changed the values to posx: 842, posy: 558.
    Can you change those default values or maybe even give users a choice to toggle the icon?
By the way, I also translated the string.xml into German: http://www.mediafire.com/?26o26jhjarvdu6r

- No, sorry
- If it's the same, it should look the same. Still, this does not bother meSmile
- Will take a look
- If you can make better, I'll gladly use them. I can't.
- Loading.gif stays out, at least for now.
- Many thanks for the strings!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hey Pecinko, nice skin, I think I'll use that on the raspberry pi I'm setting up.

I'd like to know if it's possible to hide both channels & shared from plexbmc. I have nothing in neither, not using them. I can edit some code if necessary, just need to know where to look at!

thanks a bunch for all the support you give on both your skin(s) and the plexbmc plugin.
Pecinko I updated yesterday the skin and is better and better every time that update. Question can you see the info screen (video playing) in a tv episode show wrong the season and episode information like "Fringe E01 - 21".
Hi Pecinko, since mine auto updated to the latest version the home shelf for favourites is permanently on even with home shelf disabled in settings.
I have tested this on both my Pivos box and PC (reboots do nothing)Huh
(2013-08-22, 13:31)pecinko Wrote: What changes 720 vs 1080 wise in example above?
Mostly the up front extra 12MB for framebuffers described earlier.
Fanart memory usage won't be affected by the 720/1080 guires.
Dynamic content like text labels *may* be bigger for 1080 (not sure if they scale with guires, or by skin res. Probably skin res).

However people who choose to increase the guires to 1080, are more likely to increase fanartres/imageres too, which would make the numbers above increase.
Few bugs I've found
The only option available to be set in quit button is quit. All others do not appear if selected.
Dim cannot be adjusted. The dial can be altered but no way to select the ok button to set it.
I've had a few occasions where the screen saver dims but it then won't come out of dim and I need to reboot. I can see the actions are registering but the dim doesn't cancel.
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Archive - old posts10