Safe pi overclocks via openelec...post your settings
Do you have heatsinks and what is your open elec settings. Are they safe and is there noticable difference?
There is a lot of variability with Pi hardware, some (maybe most) boards will overclock very nicely, but others won't overclock at all (SD corruption). So what is safe for me, may not be safe for you, depending on the "quality" of the board you have.

Overclocking just the ARM is usually considered safe, but once you start overclocking the core you may experience instability using even just modest values. Increasing ARM frequency results in a very noticeable improvement, particularly if you can reach 1000Mhz. Boosting core will also result in a decent performance improvement, but is often the most likely cause of instability.

Ultimately the only way to know what values are safe for your hardware is for you to work it out yourself.

Heatsinks are of little to no value on the Raspberry Pi.

These are the "standard" overclocking options:

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
No heatsinks and multiple days uptime running at 1100 arm, 550 core, 550 ram. System is considerable faster and more reactive. I'm also powering the pi from its Usb hub and running from usb and not SD which also sped the whole thing up. No corruption ever since moving system to usb.
I'm pretty proud of my overclock settings on Openelec. Note I'm running of USB 3 have a charger that came with my nexus 4 and I'm running of wifi (using gpio ir for remote). Also note that I have my pi in a vertical position with air touching both sides and have a BIG heatsink on the usb hub chip 2 (stacked on top of each other) BIG heatsinks on the SOC, 1 big heatsink on the voltage regulator and a mini heatsink just above the gpio pins.

Also note I have dont EXTENSIVE testing, tweaking on my build and know that you NEED the heatsinks to get to my Overclock settings. I've run the same system without heatsinks and it exceeds 55 degrees c and just freezes. SO who ever says that you don't need heat sinks needs to mention that if your not yes you don't if your not doing really high overclocks so here goes my settings

arm_freq=1130
core_freq=560
h264_freq=360
isp_freq=0
v3d_freq=360
sdram_freq=700
avoid_pwm_pll=1
over_voltage_sdram=8
over_voltage=6
current_limit_override=0x5A000020
gpu_mem_512=128
initial_turbo=1
hdmi_ignore_cec=1
init_uart_clock=4000000
init_emmc_clock=500000000
disable_pvt=1

Temp never exceeds 51 and stays around 48 at moderate-high load and dips to 45 at idle.

No one I have seen has even tried to overcock the ram. The only way to increase is to increase the sdram_voltage just like the arm voltage and also use disable_pvt=1

I've got my Ram at 700 and know its set there (even though I can't verify by using any command that I know of) I know it works because I've done without and I drop 5fps.

The system is noticeable faster!! I'm contemplating getting sandisk Extreme 16gb USB 3.0

I'm considering investing in Sandisk Extreme 16gb USB 3.0 with a WOPPING

4K READ 15.3 MB/S
4K WRITE 4.58 MB/S

Its a monster, its basically an ssd drive.
check out the review
http://usb-flash-drives.whoratesit.com/S...ating/1301

I know someone that has gotten 1250 arm with this and yes having a faster USB (from experience) affects OC ability of the Pi. That person wasn't that knowledgeable on the intracies of OC the Pi. Not sure if he used any heat sinks. Man wonder what speeds I can get with that 1300?

I will take photos soon of my setup for you to see
Also it took alot of time and reserach to get to this OC (months) but anyone here they are.

(2013-08-19, 12:39)soupboy Wrote: No heatsinks and multiple days uptime running at 1100 arm, 550 core, 550 ram. System is considerable faster and more reactive. I'm also powering the pi from its Usb hub and running from usb and not SD which also sped the whole thing up. No corruption ever since moving system to usb.
You should try to OC the Ram. If I can get to 700 I'm sure anyone can get to 600. Need to disable_pvt=1
and
oc the sdram_voltage

It does have a noticeble difference because if you got the right settings the system runs of Ram. Faster ram faster system. I just read that your running of a HUB. Nah it won't work with a Hub. I've learnt it needs to go directly into the Pi otherwise you might have a cheap HUB or something, but it won't work
TURBO preset...with a few cheap $1 heat sinks (not sure if they change much)...running Openelec from USB....It's a secondary client so it doesn't have long uptimes and is powered from the USB port in the TV (so shuts off every time the TV goes off) but everything has been rock solid so far, and surprisingly quick with the Amber skin.

PS: From what I've read, booting from USB is the best option if you want to overclock because it prevents SD corruption.
(2013-08-19, 10:58)MilhouseVH Wrote: These are the "standard" overclocking options:

Just switched to the "Medium" settings with no overvolt. Have no heatsinks. Simply wanted to see how much difference it makes, and while it seems to work fine, I really can't tell much of a difference to my previous non-overclock settings. What had a really long lag before, still has a long lag.

(2013-08-20, 18:37)MediaPi Wrote: I'm considering investing in Sandisk Extreme 16gb USB 3.0 with a WOPPING

4K READ 15.3 MB/S
4K WRITE 4.58 MB/S

Its a monster, its basically an ssd drive.
check out the review
http://usb-flash-drives.whoratesit.com/S...ating/1301

I've tried a few different USB drives, from an oldish USB 2.0 stick I still had laying around, to exactly the one mentioned above, and I really can't tell much of a difference. Overclocking and/or changing the USB stick doesn't seem to be doing much for me. Undecided
I didn't notice a big difference till I got past 900Mhz and definitely from 1000Mhz+. Mines running at overvoltage_core=8 and overvoltage_sdram=6 and the cpu idles at 50-60C but I've never had lockups due to getting too hot etc.
Are you suppose to force overclock to 1 instead of 0 in openelec xbmc on the sd card config file or does it know when to overclock it.?
(2013-08-22, 15:45)beanie9700 Wrote: Are you suppose to force overclock to 1 instead of 0 in openelec xbmc on the sd card config file or does it know when to overclock it.?

0 is dynamic overclocking
1 is forced

With dyanamic it is variable, but I don't think the Pi is particularly good at knowing when to overclock.

Forced overclocking means it runs at the set speed all the time.
So with openelec xbmc would it be best to change it to 1.
(2013-08-22, 21:59)beanie9700 Wrote: So with openelec xbmc would it be best to change it to 1.

I believe so...I'm 90% sure thats what I did...and I haven't had any stability issues.
Currently using 950 MHz (CPU), 450MHz (core), 500MHz (RAM), overvolt=2 and force to 1. Haven't had any problems. the DDR from samsung is 533MHz spec'ed.. but that depends on what the other DDR timing parameters are configured for also. it's rock stable anyway.
(2013-08-22, 13:26)soupboy Wrote: I didn't notice a big difference till I got past 900Mhz and definitely from 1000Mhz+. Mines running at overvoltage_core=8 and overvoltage_sdram=6 and the cpu idles at 50-60C but I've never had lockups due to getting too hot etc.

Put it on the "Turbo" setting now, 1000Mhz ARM, 500Mhz Core, 500Mhz SDRAM, 6 overvolt and it does indeed seem a tad quicker. It's in the low 50s on idle and can make it over 60 under load, but no lockups so far. What's the max temp rating for the Pi? As long as it's 70+ I should be fine.
(2013-08-23, 10:56)DocG Wrote: Put it on the "Turbo" setting now, 1000Mhz ARM, 500Mhz Core, 500Mhz SDRAM, 6 overvolt and it does indeed seem a tad quicker. It's in the low 50s on idle and can make it over 60 under load, but no lockups so far. What's the max temp rating for the Pi? As long as it's 70+ I should be fine.

We consider 85C to be the safe limit (when overclock will be disabled). However I don't think anyone has ever hit that - you'd need the ambient temperature to be well above 30C.
(2013-08-23, 12:05)popcornmix Wrote: We consider 85C to be the safe limit (when overclock will be disabled). However I don't think anyone has ever hit that - you'd need the ambient temperature to be well above 30C.

Thanks for the info! Just playing some CPU-intensive files, and the temp seems to hover around 57 degrees (ambient has dropped a little). I don't currently see how I could possibly get to 80+. Has been rock solid even with the "Turbo" settings now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Safe pi overclocks via openelec...post your settings0