• 7(current)
Gigabyte Brix looks like a winner
Well, it's about features more than small differences in performance. Does the NUC, Brix or barebones have all the stuff you need? And, like I said, if the C1007U/C1037U is only a bit more, I'd get the C1007U/C1037U. If it's cheaper, then it's a no brainer. The X-26 in the other thread with the C1037U is under $200 shipped to the USA and it has quality components from two manufacturers I use -- Giada and Iwill.

BTW, my math has $195 + $36 from a Taiwanese dealer in your link = $231.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271259815785

My C847 is $199 shipped in the USA
http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei3celeron847.html

What's the difference besides price and processor? Size, of course. If you want something tiny the Brix wins. If you want something larger that can hold 2.5" HDDs then the E-i3 is a better choice. If you only need one USB and just HDMI, the Brix is a good choice. If you need more USB ports, analog audio, and/or VGA the E-i3 is a better choice.

One is only better than the other depending on your needs, wants and budget.
New Brixes (talking like golum Big Grin) announced...

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/342/im...odels.html

No clue on prices though....
Well, CPU fan failed on mine after what 1 month worth of up time. Took it apart removed the fan installed a case fan temporarily.
OzPlanet, did you tried to talk with gigabyte support and trade for a another one or something ?
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-09-09, 16:37)lukasnmd Wrote: OzPlanet, did you tried to talk with gigabyte support and trade for a another one or something ?

I am 4 hours away from the computer right now. I just needed it to work. I will try to contact them when I get a chance.

But, the fan was too loud to begin with sounds like a jet engine. It would cycle up and down when not in use. I was planning on changing out the fan for something quieter. Seems like it will be a easy task since the heat sink seems to have enough surface area for a case fan. All it will take is cutting a round hole in the top of the case and installing a fan on the top. It will not look pretty, But, it will keep it cool as well as draw hot air out of the entire case.

The NUC has issues with the Hard Drive burning out because there is no cooling. The WiFi adapter and Hard Drive are on top of each other the heat compounds between the 2. If you compare the Brix vs NUC they are the exact same layout just different configuration of ports. So whatever issues the NUC has the Brix will also suffer from.
(2013-09-09, 17:54)OzPlanet Wrote:
(2013-09-09, 16:37)lukasnmd Wrote: OzPlanet, did you tried to talk with gigabyte support and trade for a another one or something ?

I am 4 hours away from the computer right now. I just needed it to work. I will try to contact them when I get a chance.

But, the fan was too loud to begin with sounds like a jet engine. It would cycle up and down when not in use. I was planning on changing out the fan for something quieter. Seems like it will be a easy task since the heat sink seems to have enough surface area for a case fan. All it will take is cutting a round hole in the top of the case and installing a fan on the top. It will not look pretty, But, it will keep it cool as well as draw hot air out of the entire case.

The NUC has issues with the Hard Drive burning out because there is no cooling. The WiFi adapter and Hard Drive are on top of each other the heat compounds between the 2. If you compare the Brix vs NUC they are the exact same layout just different configuration of ports. So whatever issues the NUC has the Brix will also suffer from.

I guess the Brix will not look pretty after cutting a hole on top, but silense at least. NUC has fanless cases, Brix has any? Do you know? Or at least a case with more improved airflow.

About NUC and Brix issues, I tought that also, this is the reason I will not buy one yet.

I wish they made something tiny and silent, powerful for day-to-day work and web surfing, like i5-4gen. I just need a silent (and FAST) pc for bedroom, with xbmc, hdmi, beatiful, tiny and with wireless keyboard+mouse combo, all this just for watch movies from storage server, TV from my iptv setup, web surf, netflix (I will use W7 Home Premium), mostly web surf since I already have a ATV1 and a RaspberryPi both with XBMC.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-09-10, 13:41)lukasnmd Wrote: I guess the Brix will not look pretty after cutting a hole on top, but silense at least. NUC has fanless cases, Brix has any? Do you know? Or at least a case with more improved airflow.

About NUC and Brix issues, I tought that also, this is the reason I will not buy one yet.

I wish they made something tiny and silent, powerful for day-to-day work and web surfing, like i5-4gen. I just need a silent (and FAST) pc for bedroom, with xbmc, hdmi, beatiful, tiny and with wireless keyboard+mouse combo, all this just for watch movies from storage server, TV from my iptv setup, web surf, netflix (I will use W7 Home Premium), mostly web surf since I already have a ATV1 and a RaspberryPi both with XBMC.

I contacted one of the companies that make fanless cases for NUC and asked that very question. They said they were not able to create one for the Brix because of how the circuits are located on the board they could not secure a copper block to the MB. They said the Haswell MB the new Brix coming out they will have cases for. Kind of sucks I just bought this Brick Smile
http://www.techpowerup.com/190579/gigaby...phics.html

Brix with Iris Pro graphics? $500+? This is what I was referring to in the NUC thread about these things creeping up in price through addition of bells and whistles in the high-end.
(2013-09-12, 13:23)twelvebore Wrote: http://www.techpowerup.com/190579/gigaby...phics.html

Brix with Iris Pro graphics? $500+? This is what I was referring to in the NUC thread about these things creeping up in price through addition of bells and whistles in the high-end.

This is disapointing, Brix and NUC arent for gaming or high end GPU's, the concept of a tiny PC is low comsumption of space and energy, fast and productive, not a highend machine capable of play 8K videos and games at extreme high graphic settings... I doesnt understand WHY Intel and Gigabyte are trying to make tiny pcs with so much power, we only need a tiny device with conectivity that is fast and low wattage comsumption... IHMO.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I beg to differ. If you can manage to get high performance in a small enclosure without it sounding like an helicopter I say go for it!

The smaller they get the closer they look to an appliance, in my opinion. Considering I have a Silverstone LC17...
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2013-09-12, 16:34)lukasnmd Wrote: I doesnt understand WHY Intel and Gigabyte are trying to make tiny pcs with so much power,

Because they want to charge more money for them.
(2013-09-12, 16:34)lukasnmd Wrote:
(2013-09-12, 13:23)twelvebore Wrote: http://www.techpowerup.com/190579/gigaby...phics.html

This is disapointing, Brix and NUC arent for gaming or high end GPU's, the concept of a tiny PC is low comsumption of space and energy, fast and productive, not a highend machine capable of play 8K videos and games at extreme high graphic settings... I doesnt understand WHY Intel and Gigabyte are trying to make tiny pcs with so much power, we only need a tiny device with conectivity that is fast and low wattage comsumption... IHMO.

Because people use PCs for things other than XBMC believe it or not. Yes, it true! Big Grin Most people who buy PCs actually!

I'd love to have something this size with this much power for an office, photo/video editing or development machine. I just don't want it in the stupid red or yellow color Smile
(2013-09-12, 17:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [Because people use PCs for things other than XBMC believe it or not.

Blasphemy!!
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/09/this-ga...s-a-punch/
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-09-12, 16:46)ashlar Wrote: I beg to differ. If you can manage to get high performance in a small enclosure without it sounding like an helicopter I say go for it!

The smaller they get the closer they look to an appliance, in my opinion. Considering I have a Silverstone LC17...
Would you pay SO MUCH MORE for this? Would you buy one for one purpose only and doesnt think that you're wasting money just to have a tiny device? I want a tiny device, doesnt need to be an i7, an i3 capable of 1080p, web surfing, and xbmc its enough for me, I have a server for more heavy duties. And who doesnt have a server? Ok, then I think they should buy a normal pc with upgrade options AND a tiny PC.

(2013-09-12, 22:05)jammyb Wrote: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/09/this-ga...s-a-punch/

Ok, I got it. Nice device btw. But between new iris pro and gt650m, I prefer nvidia's solution, if possible.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte Brix looks like a winner2