• 37(current)
[FRODO release] Skin Widgets
(2013-09-30, 13:11)Martijn Wrote: I also disagree that you say "a lot of users" asked for this. I read the forum closely so i know this for sure.
Okay - with "a lot of" I might have overshot it - I just read it a few times and assumed from there on out.

Quote:As said if you find this useful you are free to add it to your local setup but i don't see the need to add this especially not under the "recently added" label which is obviously wrong. It would make more sense if it was added as a new label recently aired but then again there's already another script for that called "tv show next aired"
Okay - I give up Wink You're certainly right that "recently added" is then wrong.
If I would take it up on me to make a new widget which would be used as "Recently Aired" (because "TV Show Next Aired" doesn't do that exactly - it shows you the shows that are airing next, not the ones which aired recently and it is not linked to an episode already in your library) - would you consider adding that?

Nevertheless:
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me! I really appreciate that!
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

It sounds to me like you need to be using the Recommended feature of this addon instead.
Recommended is great, I use that sometimes too, but... If I understand correctly, it only shows 1 episode, yes? So, eg: if I am working all week, and then go to xbmc on the weekend, 'Recommended' doesnt show me that there are now 3 new episodes for a certain show, does it?

And I find that Recommended doesn't update very fast with multiple devices and mysql. So if you watch an episode via Recommended, but there are still more episodes to watch after that, Recommended doesn't seem to roll over and show the next unwatched episode very quickly. In fact, I seem to remember it may have even required a restart (or maybe just the refresh time is very long?).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2013-09-30, 16:46)jmh2002 Wrote: Recommended is great, I use that sometimes too, but... If I understand correctly, it only shows 1 episode, yes? So, eg: if I am working all week, and then go to xbmc on the weekend, 'Recommended' doesnt show me that there are now 3 new episodes for a certain show, does it?

And I find that Recommended doesn't update very fast with multiple devices and mysql. So if you watch an episode via Recommended, but there are still more episodes to watch after that, Recommended doesn't seem to roll over and show the next unwatched episode very quickly. In fact, I seem to remember it may have even required a restart (or maybe just the refresh time is very long?).

Then stop using mysql Smile
It's fast for me with no mysql.

I don't care if there are more than one new episode. you will know when you finished the first one.
You should already know if there are multiple new episode because you follow the program and it airs x times a week.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am sorry but this is not a valid answer for users with multiple devices. I will stop using MySQL when the xbmc upnp feature set is complete and able replicate the setup I have now. It seems a lot of work is being done on this which is wonderful, but it is not a replacement for MySQL, yet.

If I should know and remember everything about what episodes are being added, and when, then I guess following that logic we don’t even need a Recently Added Widget at all, because it should all be in my (and every family member's) memory?

Anyway its clear that you are simply not willing to even acknowledge this request/suggestion from users, and prefer to belittle and ridicule us instead. It is very disappointing that you are continually combative with your replies to users (a function maybe can be improved from a users perspective, and your answer is "uninstall MySQL", and thereby reduce overall functionality available to the user even further... ? Users should totally dismantle their extensive existing multiple device funtionality because of one small function, in one AddOn? How can this possibly be suggested as the right way to think about or approach this...)

There have been other threads where users have been shocked at how rude you are to them too. Im sorry but it is not a correct way for a Team XBMC member to behave. And for me personally, I was never rude to you either, but instead tried to make a suggestion in a positive, eloquent, and polite manner.

It can be simple for you to say, "ok, I understand your point", even if you still feel that you do not wish to add this function, or feel that it should not be part of the feature set for this AddOn.

We would be disappointed, but we would understand.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2013-09-30, 16:37)Hitcher Wrote: It sounds to me like you need to be using the Recommended feature of this addon instead.
No, sorry, but that widget isn't doing it for me. I want a widget specifically geared toward displaying the recently aired episodes. So I can simply select the episodes that have aired a few hours ago from the widget quick and easily without wading through my library first to find that specific item. Let's say I have 5 new episodes from this morning - when accessing those in XBMC it is quite tiresome - I have to open TV Shows, then go to the series, select the current season and then pick the episode I want to see. Then I have to go back to the root of the TV Shows and do it all over again for the next unwatched episode. With recommended items it may recommend items I don't want to watch now, but maybe later (I don't like watching Breaking Bad before I'm watching my comics for example - I always watch BB at the end of my newest episodes)
With the widget I simply open XBMC, navigate to the item TV Shows on the homescreen (which is selected by default on my end) and select the episode from the widget and hit play. When it's done, I select the next episode from the widget.

Nothing more, nothing less. Seeing that this is totally possible and doable, that I'm willing to do it and submit a patch request later to the official addon - I don't really get the sentiment here. What is wrong with adding this to the feature set of an already great addon? I really don't get it here...
Of course - one might say that I then should go ahead and develop a widget on my own, without the "Skin Widgets" to rely on. But this would mean that I'd need to move away from the de-facto standard for skin developers when implementing something like widgets into their skins - and thus it wouldn't really help anyone.

I already did it for me, so I'm not really writing here for me either. I just want to give other people the oppurtinity to use this feature easily as well - that's why I'm willing to implement it, if it would be considered. But well, if you don't want to - then so be it.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2013-09-30, 17:35)HenryFord Wrote: No, sorry, but that widget isn't doing it for me. I want a widget specifically geared toward displaying the recently aired episodes. So I can simply select the episodes that have aired a few hours ago from the widget quick and easily without wading through my library first to find that specific item. Let's say I have 5 new episodes from

I see usefulness in this feature but it is something different from your original proposal - it should be called "Recently Released" instead. Other useful option could be to, optionally, stack recently added or released episodes by season. This would help to avoid mess when whole season has been added to the library.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-10-02, 01:10)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-09-30, 17:35)HenryFord Wrote: No, sorry, but that widget isn't doing it for me. I want a widget specifically geared toward displaying the recently aired episodes. So I can simply select the episodes that have aired a few hours ago from the widget quick and easily without wading through my library first to find that specific item. Let's say I have 5 new episodes from

I see usefulness in this feature but it is something different from your original proposal - it should be called "Recently Released" instead. Other useful option could be to, optionally, stack recently added or released episodes by season. This would help to avoid mess when whole season has been added to the library.

Yes by season or by just the show itself.
(2013-09-30, 14:22)Martijn Wrote: i'd rather implement it in a totally different which is currently on only paper/mind.
after some proper testing at home i might release it to the public.

Can you elaborate? The fact of how poorly this widget works with SQL setups is the biggest letdown. I should be able to power on my tv and have a recently updated recommended shows. Sometimes I don't watch tv in the bedroom for a few days and it will be completely off, having to go into my shows and then back to my main menu isn't really an acceptable solution. I find it quicker (although very messy) to play something off the widget menu that I've already watched and then hit stop. Seems like Screen Wake, or a forced refresh every X amount of minutes would be a easy solution but I be curious what else is an option.
I was wondering if there was a way to change the code to get the recommended shows to sort by air date?

I love the option where it shows the next unwatched episode for TV but some shows I watch all the time and some shows I go on benders and watch a whole season at once. If it were sorted by air date this would be ideal for me. This would also avoid having the widget full of the latest show I ripped from DVD.

I read through the thread and found you can change the recently added to air date instead of date added by changing the code to "year". I looked through the code and thought i may have found the right spot to do this with recommended but it didn't work. Line: 240

Quote:json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetTVShows", "params": {"properties": ["title", "studio", "mpaa", "file", "art"], "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "year"}, "filter": {"field": "inprogress", "operator": "true", "value": ""}, "limits": {"end": %d}}, "id": 1}' %self.LIMIT)

So what am i missing?
See my fork at, it adds extra options for the settings of the widget to allow you sorting by airdate:
https://github.com/henryford/service.skin.widgets

When you look at the changes made, you'll see how this is done.

(2013-10-20, 20:13)HenryFord Wrote: See my fork at, it adds extra options for the settings of the widget to allow you sorting by airdate:
https://github.com/henryford/service.skin.widgets

When you look at the changes made, you'll see how this is done.

First I'd like to say your additions should be on the official release. Especially since I've seen so many posts requesting ways of changing the sort order of recently added. It works great for that.

Unfortunately it still did not work for "recommended". I'm not sure why. I even went as far as to change the sort type of everything under a tv function to "year". Except the one where it sorts by episode which I believe is to find the first unwatched in the series.

My only program experience is building vba macro's in excel so I'm official stumped. Is there something else i am missing?
We already discussed if this should be added to the original addon - the request was declined, it won't be added... :/

(2013-10-21, 03:12)sunkin Wrote: Unfortunately it still did not work for "recommended". I'm not sure why. I even went as far as to change the sort type of everything under a tv function to "year". Except the one where it sorts by episode which I believe is to find the first unwatched in the series.

My only program experience is building vba macro's in excel so I'm official stumped. Is there something else i am missing?
Ah, sorry - didn't catch the "recommended" part.
In that case I think you'd have to change the initial sort order. maybe the method as well - I'm not sure.
However - I just tested it and this works:
Change the following line under def _fetch_tvshows_recommended(self, request):
Code:
json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetTVShows", "params": {"properties": ["title", "studio", "mpaa", "file", "art"], "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "lastplayed"}, "filter": {"field": "inprogress", "operator": "true", "value": ""}, "limits": {"end": %d}}, "id": 1}' %self.LIMIT)
to
Code:
json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetTVShows", "params": {"properties": ["title", "studio", "mpaa", "file", "art"], "sort": {"order": "ascending", "method": "year"}, "filter": {"field": "inprogress", "operator": "true", "value": ""}, "limits": {"end": %d}}, "id": 1}' %self.LIMIT)

I am new in this but what is skin widget? I like the Aeon Nox but there are missing some features. Will this get more features in to the skin? For example add last unwatched movie in ht ehome menu?
Yes, that's what this is for. However - you do not have to care about that, since Aeon Nox already has them included. You just have to customize your Homescreen in the Skin-Settings, you'll also find options to set certain "widgets" - for example the last unwatched movie(s) in your database.

• 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FRODO release] Skin Widgets8