• 1(current)
Kodi client for Media Browser
Hi guys,
I'm not sure if you've heard, but we (team Media Browser), have recently rebuilt our open source media center into a client-server architecture. We have transcoding, metadata management, user profiles, recommendation engines, etc. We have a publicly exposed api that we have used to attract developers for a whole range of platforms:

- Android
- HTML5
- iOS 7 (will be in the store on launch day)
- Roku
- Windows Media Center
- Windows 7/8 (Htpc app)
- Windows Phone
- Windows RT
- Media Portal

So I'm here to see if I can drum up any support from potential developers who may have interest in building an Kodi client for our server.

I think we can compliment each other well. You guys have a great htpc front-end, we have a new client-server framework. The server currently runs on windows but a mono port is in development to bring us to linux.

Check us out on github. The bottom of the page has a client gallery:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser
Neat!
Definitely would love to see an XBMC plugin for the MB3 server. I run a combination of both - I love XBMC's small player footprint and awesome player capabilities, and love the MB3 metadata, mobile access and library aggregation features.

xnappo
Would love this to pieces...
Hi

Would love to see this to happen also great idea and great approach

well done and keep us updated pls

Thanks
Media Browser 3 has a very nice backend setup, integration to XBMC would be nice for my Raspberry Pi Smile
Looking real good.
That would be awesome to use XBMC but with Media Browser 3 server (libraries, user profiles, etc...). The best of both worlds.
There is one for Plex (PLEXBMC) but I hate Plex library structures.
This would work around the fact that XBMC doesn't have a dedicated server and won't have to update library in XMBC.
XBMC library updates can be configured to run on new media detection but if there are changes on the metadata or arts, it won't change it in XBMC unless you refresh it in XBMC manually. MB3 server handles this perfectly...
There is also the boxsets feature from MB3 that has dedicated metadata (that can be easily managed from the server). Movies set in XBMC is extremely limited right now...
Im just going to throw out an honest opinion here, what mb3 has done is the future for media centers imo and the only area I feel xbmc is behind on.

But knowing the xbmc team unless some individual user wants to do a plugin, they wont create a plugin for another product, they will want control of it which is understandable frankly.

Which is fine if it was not for the fact I have no idea how long it will be until we see a headless server like this for xbmc. I hope its sooner rather then later but it could be a long time away?? It seems like media browser worked on this for 2 years , and I have not been able to read much about something like this for xbmc.

Also without official xbmc team support some of the plugins may not work, i use things like cdart downloader, rom collection browser, with xbmc.... i would assume these users would need to agree to design a plugin of their addon for media browser server which i dont really see them doing either. I will keep my fingers crossed xbmc team works on something like this or the off chance some devs would be willing to use this work and support it.

And beyond that wouldnt you need skinners to support it since it would get metadata from this server? Would all these people design their work for a non xbmc product? Many potential issues and questions.
I don't know if anyone on Team XBMC would want to specifically work on this, but if such an add-on needed any support from XBMC's core, that's probably where you would see Team devs help out. It's mostly just a case of having only so many hours in the day and already having tons of things they want to do. Most people join Team XBMC already with an area of interest in mind. If someone in the community did take this on, and did a really good job on it, that in itself could lead to an invite to the Team (just as an example, no promises ;) ).
I was also going to say on that note I wish luke would just join the xbmc team Smile although I dont know what is required of membership ect...(and it likely is not going to happen) But its an area that could use someone like him as I am sure the xbmc team has so much on there plate right now. Of course maybe they could join forces but I feel it maybe wishful thinking.

I just feel that this should be the direction the entire xbmc system heads in, but thats just my opinion as a simple user, everyone else may feel completely different.Of course I will never be willing to leave xbmc because of everything else it offers.

As a whole home solution i can say it was a pain getting my htpc organized, i cringe at doing another one, this would basically allow for a server that feeds all other extra xbmc clients so i dont have to do double duty with scrapping, artwork, addon setup, ect...
This software is really impressive. I have stopped using XBMC for video playback but use it for youtube and vevo.

You guys have done an amazing job with this software. I am using the WMC client since I already use it for live-tv. Now I have one software hat does what I want really well. To top it off I can access my media on any device. The web app is really impressive and has features that even Plex does not have.

Amazing what you guys have done so far. Keep it coming!
I am dreaming that the two project merge... I really love the server, but still prefer XBMC client GUI and features. Not even to mention that MP does not even run on a Mac...
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-10-12, 11:42)steve1977 Wrote: I am dreaming that the two project merge... I really love the server, but still prefer XBMC client GUI and features. Not even to mention that MP does not even run on a Mac...

There is an XBMC plugin for MediaBrowser3 that will create the relevant metadata files etc.
(2013-10-12, 11:45)CBers Wrote:
(2013-10-12, 11:42)steve1977 Wrote: I am dreaming that the two project merge... I really love the server, but still prefer XBMC client GUI and features. Not even to mention that MP does not even run on a Mac...

There is an XBMC plugin for MediaBrowser3 that will create the relevant metadata files etc.

Can you elaborate more how this is working and what it brings?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi client for Media Browser3