• 1(current)
[RELEASE] Russia Today News Addon
Version 1.8.4 - Updated 11/25/13 - New addon configuration parameters to allow autoplay of news and selection of video resolution (upto 720p supported)

Now in the XBMC Frodo add-on repository at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/plugin.video.rt/
Wiki page available at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...Today_News . Thanks

Nice work Smile Love RT
If I helped you please add to my reputation a positive note

School has started, This Means Lots Of Homework[/color]

No Sharing XML's Anymore Per Forum Rules
Thanks for this addon. I like RT and it's nice to have an addon that can easily play their content.

Only issue I am having is, no matter what device I run this on for XBMC 12.2, such as Win 7, Win 8, etc, all that comes up is "Live".

I know this can't be right as the screenshots above show episode playback.

Also there are no settings in "Settings". Not sure if that's normal or not also.
(2013-10-11, 11:26)RedPenguin Wrote: Thanks for this addon. I like RT and it's nice to have an addon that can easily play their content.

Only issue I am having is, no matter what device I run this on for XBMC 12.2, such as Win 7, Win 8, etc, all that comes up is "Live".

Also there are no settings in "Settings". Not sure if that's normal or not also.

This is a bug, thanks for raising it. Turns out that, depending on where you are, the RT web server sends content in a compressed form. I've raised a question on how to deal with this to other developers and hopefully will get a fix soon.
(2013-10-11, 20:31)learningit Wrote:
(2013-10-11, 11:26)RedPenguin Wrote: Thanks for this addon. I like RT and it's nice to have an addon that can easily play their content.

This is a bug, thanks for raising it. Turns out that, depending on where you are, the RT web server sends content in a compressed form. I've raised a question on how to deal with this to other developers and hopefully will get a fix soon.

Thank you for your quick response. I am glad to see this will be dealt with as I totally like the idea of this plugin. (Mainly due to using XBMC, I hate using Flash in my browsers now, LoL.) But also hard to use a web browser on the RPi, LoL.
(2013-10-12, 01:06)RedPenguin Wrote:
(2013-10-11, 20:31)learningit Wrote:

Thank you for your quick response. I am glad to see this will be dealt with as I totally like the idea of this plugin. (Mainly due to using XBMC, I hate using Flash in my browsers now, LoL.) But also hard to use a web browser on the RPi, LoL.
(2013-10-12, 05:07)learningit Wrote:
(2013-10-12, 01:06)RedPenguin Wrote:
(2013-10-11, 20:31)learningit Wrote: This is a bug, thanks for raising it. Turns out that, depending on where you are, the RT web server sends content in a compressed form. I've raised a question on how to deal with this to other developers and hopefully will get a fix soon.

Can you give this version a try? I think it fixes the compression issues. The server returns content compressed even though I tell explicitly not to - seems to affect only some of RT.com's servers, possibly a misconfig. The solution I implemented is to decompress any content that comes back marked as compressed. My repo is at: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.rt The master branch or v1.2.0 branch is the latest. Download the zip file and uninstall the existing Russia Today News addon. Then install the downloaded zip file from settings - addons- install from zip file . You may need to exit xbmc after the uninstall to allow the install from zip file to work correctly. If this works for you I'll request to add to the official repo. Thanks

That seems to work perfectly.

Live still works (do you think you will ever put in a quality selection 180p, 240p, 360p, 720p, etc?).

Episodes have no issues playing either.

Though I noticed you only seem to have it set to play RT Global. Will there eventually be an option for America and Doc?
Quote:That seems to work perfectly.

Live still works (do you think you will ever put in a quality selection 180p, 240p, 360p, 720p, etc?).

Though I noticed you only seem to have it set to play RT Global. Will there eventually be an option for America and Doc?

Thanks for your help. I probably will add some config items for video quality, region, etc. There's still work to be done on playing the 'Politicking' and 'Larry King' videos as they're done through a partner site. I've experimented enough to know how to grab the streams, just haven't had the time to implement and test. I'll let you know when I get to them.
(2013-10-12, 05:32)learningit Wrote:

Thanks for your help. I probably will add some config items for video quality, region, etc. There's still work to be done on playing the 'Politicking' and 'Larry King' videos as they're done through a partner site. I've experimented enough to know how to grab the streams, just haven't had the time to implement and test. I'll let you know when I get to them.

Well thank you for your hard work. It's nice to see this channel gettting good support in XBMC vs just the well-known US new-agencies only.

(2013-10-12, 05:32)learningit Wrote:

Well thank you for your hard work. It's nice to see this channel gettting good support in XBMC vs just the well-known US new-agencies only.
yes, please add ability to be able to select 1080p... especially for the live news feed. That is one of the best features of RT, 1080p... crosstalk is amazing in 1080p with the quad person view, you can still see details of their faces.

How can I find out the URL of the Live news feed? I want to put it in my playlist (I have a playlist for my TV providers IPTV channels, and want to insert RT in that playlist
(2013-10-15, 19:23)ycomp Wrote: How can I find out the URL of the Live news feed? I want to put it in my playlist (I have a playlist for my TV providers IPTV channels, and want to insert RT in that playlist
https://github.com/learningit/plugin.vid...lt.py#L107
// GitHub // Repository

// USTV VoD (Video-on-Demand) / World News Live / MRT Play
(2013-10-15, 19:23)ycomp Wrote: yes, please add ability to be able to select 1080p... especially for the live news feed. That is one of the best features of RT, 1080p... crosstalk is amazing in 1080p with the quad person view, you can still see details of their faces.

How can I find out the URL of the Live news feed? I want to put it in my playlist (I have a playlist for my TV providers IPTV channels, and want to insert RT in that playlist

Where are you seeing 1080p? I went directly to their website rt.com/on-air and only seen 720p max for live.

Also, I found the URL by using Wireshark while playing the video. Though you probably could just use Firebug or other tools.

My list (signature) has a link for each of their 4 qualities, plus the original one they had before they had variable qualities, that still functions, so I leave it as a backup. I have Global, America, and Documentary.
(2013-10-15, 20:31)RedPenguin Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 19:23)ycomp Wrote: yes, please add ability to be able to select 1080p... especially for the live news feed. That is one of the best features of RT, 1080p... crosstalk is amazing in 1080p with the quad person view, you can still see details of their faces.

Where are you seeing 1080p? I went directly to their website rt.com/on-air and only seen 720p max for live.

Also, I found the URL by using Wireshark while playing the video. Though you probably could just use Firebug or other tools.

My list (signature) has a link for each of their 4 qualities, plus the original one they had before they had variable qualities, that still functions, so I leave it as a backup. I have Global, America, and Documentary.

I just assumed they would have 1080p for the Live Feed... I know I have seen CrossTalk in 1080p ...

awesome it works, I just added Rusia Today to my list of IPTV stations from my provider.. I love XBMC

(2013-10-15, 20:31)RedPenguin Wrote: My list (signature) has a link for each of their 4 qualities, plus the original one they had before they had variable qualities, that still functions, so I leave it as a backup. I have Global, America, and Documentary.

btw. is there any way I can open your xml file in XBMC? seems like you have a lot of interesting stations in there... or a way to convert it from xml to m3u?
(2013-10-12, 05:25)RedPenguin Wrote: That seems to work perfectly.

The latest version (1.7.0) supports both RT Global and Rt America as well as video resolution through addon settings. Repo at: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.rt
(2013-10-15, 21:22)ycomp Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 20:31)RedPenguin Wrote:

I just assumed they would have 1080p for the Live Feed... I know I have seen CrossTalk in 1080p ...

awesome it works, I just added Rusia Today to my list of IPTV stations from my provider.. I love XBMC

(2013-10-15, 20:31)RedPenguin Wrote: My list (signature) has a link for each of their 4 qualities, plus the original one they had before they had variable qualities, that still functions, so I leave it as a backup. I have Global, America, and Documentary.

btw. is there any way I can open your xml file in XBMC? seems like you have a lot of interesting stations in there... or a way to convert it from xml to m3u?

My list is formatted specifically for use in the "LiveStreams" add-on. So it's already capable for us in XBMC.

(2013-10-16, 01:44)learningit Wrote:

The latest version (1.7.1) supports both RT Global and Rt America as well as video resolution through addon settings. Repo at: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.rt

Totally cool. Works great. You sure work fast to make this add-on cooler and cooler Smile
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Russia Today News Addon2