• 25(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
(2013-10-18, 13:56)dermute Wrote: Support for Ubuntu 13.10 would be great! Wink

The three reasons given by fritz are all serious.
Let's wait for Ubuntu to get stable for at least three months, at the same time probably other things will get more and more mature.
I keep on testing.
(2013-10-18, 13:07)fritsch Wrote: @beschmid:
Whenever fglrx appears in your log, you have done something wrong. When there is an unsupported watermark in the corner, you even have a full blown fglrx installed.

fritsch: I was able to find my mistake, in the mini.iso install thread I was using, it asks to execute a script. I believe that script was installing the fglrx. I started from sratch again, without running the script and now I am able to boot xbmc. But now I am experiencing the screen flickering and artifacts that others have reported. I will post logs as soon as I have a minute to put it all together. Thanks guys or your help.
(2013-10-18, 14:33)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: Let's wait for Ubuntu to get stable for at least three months,

I really understand your arguments and i am happy about your work anyway. But please keep in mind that Ubuntu 13.04 gets EOL in January.
It is basically a matter of time. When I change one system to 13.10 at my home - I have to change them all, so that crosscompiling, general xbmc development will still work. I don't like to give a howto, that I did not test myself :-) - I could not blame users, hehe, if I would do so.

Some have already great success, when just using the oibaf raring repo on 13.10 - but I don't support that out of the reasons above. Until January there is a whole lot of time.

My goal until then:
a) Fix the HDMI audio clock - this is currently plain wrong and needs to be fixed, much more than any Version upgrade or something. I loose 10ms every 6 seconds, which is far too much.
b) I want to debug fglrx with radentool to find out, why we are still slower with OSS

Such things need a lot of time and are much more important than a howto.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@beschmid.

yes, i'm interested to know what hardware you are using!

there is an open ticket on freedesktop.org -- https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=63997

i think we might be suffering from new equipment. and drivers not yet able to handle the hardware.... http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

a couple of pages back, @fritsh posted an updated kernel 3.11.5 - you can give that a try.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
(2013-10-18, 15:38)locomot1f Wrote: @beschmid. i know the logo you're talking about.

for some reason it thinks that you have loaded fglrx.
please make sure that you uninstall fglrx. I think it might be installing itself by default.
even if that means loading it, to re-uninstall it. and make sure that it doesn't try to install -- fglrx-updates.
that is a separate package, that you might want to try to see if it is loaded, and uninstall that as well

$sudo apt-get purge fglrx-updates

@locomot1f: I will purge it just to make sure. Since my original post, I was able to re-install everything and get xbmc to boot without the logo, but now I am experiencing the artifacts and flickering (can't even scroll through or read a lot of the XBMC menus) as noopiex and others, and it looks like from an earlier post of yours we might have the same processor... I am waiting and reading everything I can to see if anyone has come up with a solution... before my wife says enough. I just upgraded everything!
(2013-10-18, 15:43)beschmid Wrote: @locomot1f: I will purge it just to make sure. Since my original post, I was able to re-install everything and get xbmc to boot without the logo, but now I am experiencing the artifacts and flickering (can't even scroll through or read a lot of the XBMC menus) as noopiex and others, and it looks like from an earlier post of yours we might have the same processor... I am waiting and reading everything I can to see if anyone has come up with a solution... before my wife says enough. I just upgraded everything!

you're fast! i didn't refresh my page when i got up this morning, and didn't see the next page! LOL Sleepy

check my edit... the new kernel does work a little bit better. the artifacts are still there, but it's better!
@locomot1f: Hardware - CPU AMD RA4-6300 3.7G FM & MB ASROCK FM2A75 PRO4-M. I looked back and searched for the @fritsch's updated kernel, and didn't see it. I am running 3.11.4...

Edit: found them in @fritsch's post #295. Thank you.
here ya go -- http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1527820
@locomot1f: 3.12.0 rc5 is slightly better as I can at least navigate the menus somewhat!
I am using XBMC 13.0-ALPHA9 Git:876dea1, Oct 17 2013. When I go to: "System->Settings->System->Video Settings:", to enable the following, the VDPAU option and vert sync options are not in my menus. Any ideas?
there are new options for the Gotham builds.

first make sure your skin supports Gotham.
-- switching to Confluence is the safest bet.

then push left on your navigation button, and you should get a slide out menu to switch the GUI level. put it to advanced to see ALL the option.
(2013-10-18, 16:46)locomot1f Wrote: here ya go -- http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1527820
I have also compiled i386 kernel myself (the patched 3.11.5 "vanila" from kernel.org) and tested it on couple of my legacy laptops: lenovo T400 (intel/amd HD3470 hybrid VGA) and lenovo T43 (unsupported by fglrx since ubuntu 9.04 time, AMD X300 VGA).

Both machines work just OK with the XBMC... adequately to their HW resources way Wink (T400 works well with any media. T43 has no problem to play DVD video, but ofcourse, is quite weak fo playing 1080p movies and DVB-T/S from my tvheadend server...)

PS: I use just normal (mean, not mini iso) ubuntu.
@beshmid,

curious to know what version of the Radeon chip you are running.

what do you see if you run:
$lspci

Huh

this is what i get --
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Richland [Radeon HD 8470D]
Strange problem: HDMI connected to AVR, mplayer can passthrough DTS with no problems. But in XBMC option "passthrough device" is greyed out and no sound in the movie. Interface sounds over HDMI are OK. When I connect my S/PDIF USB interface, then "passthrough device" is not greyed out and DTS sound in the movie is OK (over HDMI, not S/PDIF). I can even disconnect USB interface after starting XBMC and everything is OK. In summary: S/PDIF USB interface must be connected when XBMC is starting to get passthrough sound over HDMI. I was testing OpenELEC (live USB) - exactly the same problem. Delete ".xbmc" directory does not change anything.

Logs:
dmesg
xbmc.log
xbmc.old.log - S/PDIF USB interface connected
vdpauinfo
dpkg -l |grep mesa

It looks like problem with XBMC?
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26