• 5(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
From that communities.intel.com site I see this line:
Quote:Yep, the ones coming out in December are the taller case designs, including the Bay Trail.

Will this mean that I can also buy a haswell i3 nuc with the taller case?
That would be nice.
As far as I know, yes you should be able to. I wouldn't hold out for a December realise personally though. After this fiasco with the still unreleased normal haswell nucs I'm not sure I trust intels etas anymore lol
(2013-11-02, 04:03)Platypus2 Wrote: still unreleased normal haswell nucs I'm not sure I trust intels etas anymore lol

I wonder if they are waiting to fix the graphics drivers before releasing the new NUCs.
It's just a guess, because the two things could be completely unrelated.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/386...0&tstart=0
I don't think so, if you read that thread they have fixed the graphics issues in windows 8.1. While a windows 7 driver still isn't out yet, they have fixed the issue, and they fixed it a good two weeks ago. I doubt that a driver issue with a certain piece of software would have caused them to delay as long as they did.
(2013-11-01, 17:32)Platypus2 Wrote: Don't trust it, they might order 20, but for sure they do not have 20 right now. No retailer have these in stock and won't for a good week or two yet. It's been delayed, and they won't say why.

EDIT:

FINALLY We might be getting somewhere...

https://communities.intel.com/message/211377

Quote:Oviano,

I checked with the NUC team and the units are shipping to distributors now. You should see them available on the major retail sites by next week.

It's frustrating when you start seeing the reviews from orgs that have received pre-production testers and then you can't buy them I know. But the wait's almost over!

Jason

Well done, at least now it's clear ! it's unbelievable that such a big company like Intel find it so hard to communicate ! and they should sent hardware for review when it's so far to be available to the public. Oh well it's coming now ! yayyyy
iMac OS X 10.10, ATV3, LG 3D TV, Onkyo Home cinema 5.1,SLICE/OpenELEC/HELIX
ooh .. the link above also says the taller case ones (that fit standard 2.5" drives) will be out in December.
Yeah it does, and they very well might be. I'm just saying dont get your hopes up Tongue

I can provide loads of links pointing to the haswell nucs being out in September, and look how that turned out Big Grin

It might be nothing and they could come out in December, but if the original was delay by two months I might have thought that would have some effect on the taller case ones? Tongue
can anybody please tell us something about the temperatures during:

* os idle
* xbmc idle
* sd playback
* hd playback

i read that nuc is really bad designed...the results are temperatures beyond 100°C / 212°F
cu
(2013-11-02, 15:30)joelbabyiid=1541355 Wrote:ooh .. the link above also says the taller case ones (that fit standard 2.5" drives) will be out in December.

A couple of questions about the taller cases, (keep in mind i am a nooby)

1 Can you put a regular hdd in it, or does it have to be an ssd. Also in the link they showed hooking up a blue ray drive, for testing purposes. I dont think the taller case is designed for a blue ray slot.

2 can you really power the nuc on/off using the ir as it comes from the factory.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
(2013-11-02, 17:41)tesona1977 Wrote: can anybody please tell us something about the temperatures during:

* os idle
* xbmc idle
* sd playback
* hd playback

i read that nuc is really bad designed...the results are temperatures beyond 100°C / 212°F

Since they aren't out yet we don't have much to go on. For the time being it might worth checking any reviews for tid bits of information. For example;

Xbmc - http://forums.legitreviews.com/about4534...ml#p221256
Power/temps - http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-ki...r_124251/6

It's unclear how bad the new design is, or will be, reviews seem to be great though and they surly must have done some improvements in the re-design.

(2013-11-02, 19:06)mushoss Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 15:30)joelbabyiid=1541355 Wrote:ooh .. the link above also says the taller case ones (that fit standard 2.5" drives) will be out in December.

1 Can you put a regular hdd in it, or does it have to be an ssd. Also in the link they showed hooking up a blue ray drive, for testing purposes. I dont think the taller case is designed for a blue ray slot.

2 can you really power the nuc on/off using the ir as it comes from the factory.

1. There still isn't much info on the taller case, but it isn't designed for an optical drive (as far the images show). I'm pretty sure that a regular 2.5" will work but again there isn't much to go on at the moment, don't think anyone has said you can, but they haven't said you can't either Tongue

2. If the reviews are anything to go by then yes you can.
hey everyone, I am looking into replacing my 1st gen WDTV live with one of these boxes as well, the i3 version. I know it has IR capabilities so I can control it with my Harmone One remote, correct? How do I go about doing so though? How do you map buttons on the remote to the NUC so various menus/functions in XBMC work correctly? Through logitech's Harmony One software or some other means?

Thanks!
(2013-11-02, 20:30)detroitjb Wrote: hey everyone, I am looking into replacing my 1st gen WDTV live with one of these boxes as well, the i3 version. I know it has IR capabilities so I can control it with my Harmone One remote, correct? How do I go about doing so though? How do you map buttons on the remote to the NUC so various menus/functions in XBMC work correctly? Through logitech's Harmony One software or some other means?

Thanks!

You just tell your Harmony One that you have a Windows Media Center remote control, which works natively with XBMC, and should work fine with the NUC IR. None of that will be 100% confirmed until the boxes start shipping and people try it out.
(2013-11-02, 20:18)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 17:41)tesona1977 Wrote: can anybody please tell us something about the temperatures during:

* os idle
* xbmc idle
* sd playback
* hd playback

Since they aren't out yet we don't have much to go on. For the time being it might worth checking any reviews for tid bits of information. For example;

It's unclear how bad the new design is, or will be, reviews seem to be great though and they surly must have done some improvements in the re-design.

(2013-11-02, 19:06)mushoss Wrote:

1. There still isn't much info on the taller case, but it isn't designed for an optical drive (as far the images show). I'm pretty sure that a regular 2.5" will work but again there isn't much to go on at the moment, don't think anyone has said you can, but they haven't said you can't either Tongue

Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
(2013-11-02, 20:42)mushoss Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 20:18)Platypus2 Wrote: [quote='tesona1977' pid='1541421' dateline='1383406862']
can anybody please tell us something about the temperatures during:

* os idle
* xbmc idle
* sd playback
* hd playback

(2013-11-02, 19:06)mushoss Wrote: A couple of questions about the taller cases, (keep in mind i am a nooby)

Thanks for the reply. I think i will hold out for the tall case i3 as i want a large internal hdd for the time being. That being said, what is the largest tb drive this nuc is capable of. I plan on running windows 8.1 off a small sata with 4gb ram. Does that sound about right for xbmc and streaming?
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
(2013-11-02, 21:20)mushoss Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I think i will hold out for the tall case i3 as i want a large internal hdd for the time being. That being said, what is the largest tb drive this nuc is capable of.

I think 2TB is still the max you can get on a 2.5" drive atm, not sure if 3TB is out yet, or when/if it will be.

In terms of what the taller NUC is actually capable of I think that is still unknown, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to do 2TB but there's always the possibility of a restriction for whatever reason >.<

(2013-11-02, 21:20)mushoss Wrote: I plan on running windows 8.1 off a small sata with 4gb ram. Does that sound about right for xbmc and streaming?

I dont see why not Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7