Linux Lots of Help
Ok quick overview
I am running XBMC from linux. The way I am in XBMC is I log out of ubunutu and switch desktops.

First problem, when I turn my computer on and load directly into the XBMC desktop none of my movies have file locations, the only way they have files designations is if i load back up to the ubuntu desktop and click on that HDD the movies are located in.

Second, one some, about 20% of my files, do not have audio in XBMC but have audio when loaded into VLC media player.

Third, I want to turn my XBMC center into a emulator for academe games (eventually using a mame pic controller), N64 (using N64 controllers), etc..how do I do that.

Thanks for your help,
You guys are the best.
(2013-11-08, 08:28)dopeythatme Wrote: First problem, when I turn my computer on and load directly into the XBMC desktop none of my movies have file locations, the only way they have files designations is if i load back up to the ubuntu desktop and click on that HDD the movies are located in.

Sounds like the drive containing your movie files isn't being mounted automatically by Ubuntu? Is this a secondary drive on your computer (either internal or external)? If so, you may have to set it to automount in Ubuntu when you bootup your system.
(2013-11-08, 08:46)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-11-08, 08:28)dopeythatme Wrote: First problem, when I turn my computer on and load directly into the XBMC desktop none of my movies have file locations, the only way they have files designations is if i load back up to the ubuntu desktop and click on that HDD the movies are located in.

Sounds like the drive containing your movie files isn't being mounted automatically by Ubuntu? Is this a secondary drive on your computer (either internal or external)? If so, you may have to set it to automount in Ubuntu when you bootup your system.

I have multiple drives.
So I guess it needs to be mounted automatically in ubuntu.

any advice on how to do that and how to fix the other problem?
If it is a internal HDD you want to add it to FSTAB,

First determine what drive it is

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

The add a mount point and entry to fstab for this drive e.g.

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd2
sudo nano /etc/fstab

And add following to the end of the file:
Code:
/dev/sdxx    /media/hdd2    ext4    defaults    0    0

Save and close the file in nano and mount the drive (only this once after should be automatic.

Code:
mount /media/hdd2

You can google this stuff, Linux operations such as this are very well documented everywhere.

If the drive is external USB drive the you need to load the usb-storage module permanently see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1221362

As for the No audio issue, you may want to look at your XBMC audio configuration and where the machine is plugged into e.g TV. then in XBMC disable AC3, AAC DTS and HD audio options as TVs and some machines dont support that passtrough.
(2013-11-08, 09:48)uNiversal Wrote: If it is a internal HDD you want to add it to FSTAB,

First determine what drive it is

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

The add a mount point and entry to fstab for this drive e.g.

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd2
sudo nano /etc/fstab

And add following to the end of the file:
Code:
/dev/sdxx    /media/hdd2    ext4    defaults    0    0

Save and close the file in nano and mount the drive (only this once after should be automatic.

Code:
mount /media/hdd2

You can google this stuff, Linux operations such as this are very well documented everywhere.

If the drive is external USB drive the you need to load the usb-storage module permanently see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1221362

As for the No audio issue, you may want to look at your XBMC audio configuration and where the machine is plugged into e.g TV. then disable AC3, AAC DTS and HD audio options.

most of my files the audio play, I feel like its a problem with XBMC with those files
Look again at my previous post. Smile
(2013-11-08, 08:28)dopeythatme Wrote: Ok quick overview
I am running XBMC from linux. The way I am in XBMC is I log out of ubunutu and switch desktops.

First problem, when I turn my computer on and load directly into the XBMC desktop none of my movies have file locations, the only way they have files designations is if i load back up to the ubuntu desktop and click on that HDD the movies are located in.

My dad had that problem too (one internal drive, three USB drives). Bottom line is that XBMCbuntu sucks. Manually auto-mounting them does the trick.

(2013-11-08, 08:28)dopeythatme Wrote: Second, one some, about 20% of my files, do not have audio in XBMC but have audio when loaded into VLC media player.

Like uNiversal said, your audio settings are probably at fault. Try to determine what audio format those unplayable files have then work your way from there.

(2013-11-08, 08:28)dopeythatme Wrote: Third, I want to turn my XBMC center into a emulator for academe games (eventually using a mame pic controller), N64 (using N64 controllers), etc..how do I do that.

You should look into the Rom Collection Browser addon and use RetroArch for all your emulating needs (well, everything except N64 at the moment, you'll want to use mupen64plus for that).
@negge

The Ubuntu/Lubuntu versions no longer load usb-storage driver automatically, so USB drives need to be manually mounted unless you apply the fix I suggested above whcih then fixes that.

Also the audio issues depend on the passthrough settings in XBMC being compatible with the connected equipment, mostly ppl turn all the options on, thinking they get better qulaity when in fact they get stutter or no audio.

See AudioEngine (wiki) and AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio (wiki) Me and jjduk spent a great deal of time fixing/adding information to aid users with all sorts of audio issues and its not used nearly enough.
Newer XBMC settings system, handles default settings better also, but AE is still a work in progress and being reworked/recoded by fritsch and fernetmenta and other devs.

This is why the links on my signature exist, though I cant carry the wiki on there, otherwise I would.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lots of Help0