• 15(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
It's inaudible and I'm very picky about noise. You can set minimum and maximum fan speed to your liking in the setup.
inaudible while watching a movie i presume not while idle Wink
Well, my NUC D34010WYK arrives tomorrow along with 32GB SSD, 4GB ram, xbox remote, and a 3TB Western Digital MyCloud. Woot Woot!

I can follow directions well but have no idea how to troubleshoot this stuff. Are you guys saying the newest nightly build of Openelec Gotham works with the IR sensor and remotes? Should I just do the stable release for now and paste the code I saw into some script somehow? Is there a total noob tutorial on this?

Thank you all so much!
Hi. I wonder I can use single RAM module or should I use both?
AsRock 330 HT, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Openelec 3.2.4
Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB RAM, Kingston 120GB SSD, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131126081257-r16438
(2013-11-12, 23:23)Clack Wrote: I can follow directions well but have no idea how to troubleshoot this stuff. Are you guys saying the newest nightly build of Openelec Gotham works with the IR sensor and remotes? Should I just do the stable release for now and paste the code I saw into some script somehow? Is there a total noob tutorial on this?
Start with the stable release and follow http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh to create a startup script with the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Work around NUC CIR issue
# see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&page=17 and
# https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 for more information

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

# set RGB full range

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The first part should get your IR working, second part is only needed if your blacks are gray.

I needed the same with nightly build too.
Guys, need help!!!!
I got Win 7 Pro installed on i5 version, updated BIOS and all the drivers. Day later trying to install OE, but as soon as it boots from usb stick, and I enter installation my keyboard stop working. Cant press OK, can't scroll etc. I'm using Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, which worked fine during original Win 7 install.
Thanks for the feedback. It's starting to look like the Haswell NUC ticks all my boxes.
(2013-11-13, 02:25)BuTbKa Wrote: ... trying to install OE, but as soon as it boots from usb stick, and I enter installation my keyboard stop working. Cant press OK, can't scroll etc. I'm using Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, which worked fine during original Win 7 install.

I had the same Problem with my K400 with Ubuntu Install on my Ivy Bridge Mainboard. I had to use a USB Keyboard for the Installation.

Here users have the same Problem: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548752
(2013-11-12, 23:28)mstef Wrote: Hi. I wonder I can use single RAM module or should I use both?

I'm using one module, no problem. You lose dual channel, but even benchmarks can't see much difference with that anyways.
lmyllari, that is great! Thank you.
Got my Haswell i3 NUC up and running with OpenELEC. Audio sounds great; all formats pass through to the receiver.

I'm struggling with the contrast/brightness however. The default settings result in a washed-out gray. And, setting xrandr to "Full" results in crushed blacks.

Has anyone been able to tweak OpenELEC for a happy contrast medium?
Overall, OE still doesn't work quite right with power. I upgraded to the latest alpha of Gothem but still no luck. Still needs time to perfect I guess...

Ernie
Did the trick. Thanks a lot
(2013-11-13, 13:49)-DDD- Wrote:
(2013-11-13, 02:25)BuTbKa Wrote: ... trying to install OE, but as soon as it boots from usb stick, and I enter installation my keyboard stop working. Cant press OK, can't scroll etc. I'm using Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, which worked fine during original Win 7 install.

I had the same Problem with my K400 with Ubuntu Install on my Ivy Bridge Mainboard. I had to use a USB Keyboard for the Installation.

Here users have the same Problem: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548752
Got my haswell nuc i3 "Intel® NUC Kit D34010WYK" yesterday. My first problem i noticed. I can't enter bios by hitting f2.
Updated to latest bios from intel "0021" but i can't get into bios. When i hit f2 the machine halts. Nothing happens it's just sits there. I can hit boot menu and bios update do.
Anyone with the same problem? Hoping i don't have to RMA it after 1 day lol...

Anyone got the black color and remote working under OE ? (Found: Will try from post #215)
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I have got i5 4th Gen NUC yesterday.
Didnt have a lot of time, but fast testing with OpenElec (I havent got SSD yet, so no Windows test yet) reveals that there is still problem with contrast and the picture quality (PQ) is total crap in comparison to xtreamer pro, which I also own.
I meant to use NUC as a replacement for xtreamer, since XBMC provides much much better interface. But on the end I am watching movies and not GUI, so having a nice GUI over bad bad PQ is not an option for me.
This could be avoided if Intel would expose API for contrast setting and since Intel can not or for other reason actively ignore this fact for new more than a year already I would say forget the NUC for good PQ (at least over OE, for Win dont know yet), since I dont believe that Intel will do something around this problem.

When I had over 6 months ago NUC i3 3rd Gen, I was able to set brightness and contrast in XBMC if I choose sofware decoding which remediated the PQ problem.
I was targeting NUC i5 4th gen overpower just to use SW decoding, but now I cannot find brightness and contrast settings even if I choose SW decoding.
This was tested with OE 3.2.3 generic and intel over USB live stick.
Does anyone know, what should I do to get those settings back with SW decoding instead of HW deconding?

If anyone has some test cases you would like to know... let me know, I will try it for you.

Regards

p.s. I have a safe failback for NUC if PQ Will not work out. It will be then a replacement for actual desktop home computer.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7