• 23(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-16, 01:06)BuTbKa Wrote: I did downloaded and installed all the drivers, and updated BIOS as well.
When browsing web, looking trough Windows or XBMC menus quality is fine, but when playing HD movies from my NAS,,,,can see the difference between NUC and Boxee.

I dont know. I think it looks better than my boxee. I have no idea though. I matched alot of frames and my opinion is that way. What quality are you talking about? Colors or just the codec? The PQ apart from colors to me looks almost exactly the same with a slight edge to the Nuc.
(2013-11-16, 05:16)OptyCT Wrote: Tried that one and I get video stutter and no audio.

Debug log can be found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=85423
That debug log appears to show you playing to the analogue audio device, not the HDMI one connected to your TV. Look at line 1182 and just after.

Reiterate:

1. Set output device to hdmi - the one that mentions your panasonic tv.

2. Set number of speakers to 2.0 as your TV does not support passthrough audio by the look of it (lines 15-22).

3. Turn off options like 'boost volume on downmix'

Stop xbmc (so your log files gets closed), start it again, play the same file and post the new log.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-16, 05:58)nickr Wrote:
(2013-11-16, 05:16)OptyCT Wrote: Tried that one and I get video stutter and no audio.

Debug log can be found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=85423
That debug log appears to show you playing to the analogue audio device, not the HDMI one connected to your TV. Look at line 1182 and just after.

Reiterate:

1. Set output device to hdmi - the one that mentions your panasonic tv.

2. Set number of speakers to 2.0 as your TV does not support passthrough audio by the look of it (lines 15-22).

3. Turn off options like 'boost volume on downmix'

Stop xbmc (so your log files gets closed), start it again, play the same file and post the new log.

New debug log is #85449
First, I created a python script to verify the colorspace conversion math. The numbers look good - even a bit more accurate than what VDPAU uses (although identical results with the rounding).

I tested various configurations, including my bluray player, with the avshd709 clips. I tested black level, white level, greyscale ramp and color clipping.

There are two problems as far as I can see. First, the RGB range is not signaled to the monitor. This can be worked around with the xrandr full range setting. The second problem is with colors - when VA-API decoding is in use, the color clipping test shows very different levels at the top. Green clips before 219 (where the pattern starts) and red extends almost all the way to 251 (all numbers approximate, read from the screen and in non optimal light conditions). These tests are available at w6rz.net - download the MP4 version and test 1 and 3 from Basic Settings/ and 1 and 4 from Misc Patterns/A - Additional.

Two options:

1) Full range output:
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding

2) Limited range output (with nightly):
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding, set 16-235 range in system -> video and set limited range RGB from your TV/monitor. This gives the best quality (no banding in greyscale ramp, blacks and whites don't clip).

My full testing results for those who might be interested:
ubuntu, mplayer2 vo gl
xrandr output range full
1 black clipping: 20 lowest visible
3 white clipping: 234 highest visible
misc a greyscale: banding visible (darker looking stripes)
misc a color clipping: red 233, green 233, blue 233 visible

ubuntu, mplayer2 vo gl
xrandr output range limited
3 white clipping: 252 highest visible
misc a greyscale: no banding visible
misc a color clipping: red 235, green 235, blue 237 visible

oe 3.2.3 xbmc 12.2 git:97a9f05
xrandr output range full
misc a greyscale: banding visible
misc a color clipping: red 251, green below 219, blue 243 visible

oe nightly devel-20131109194305-r16358, git: f653098f0800c40375abc36ef1c669755e6f4f6e
xbmc 13.0-ALPHA git:b58612c
xrandr output range full
refresh rate matching off (to match ubuntu 60Hz)
misc a color clipping: red 251, green below 219, blue 243 visible

oe nightly devel-20131109194305-r16358, git: f653098f0800c40375abc36ef1c669755e6f4f6e
xrandr output range full, no vaapi decoding
misc a color clipping: red 231, green 233, blue 231 visible

xrandr output range full, no vaapi decoding, system -> video -> use 16-235
misc a color clipping: red 237, green 235, blue 237 visible

oppo bdp93
rgb limited range output, no dithering
misc a color clipping: red 235, green 233, blue 237 visible

edit: I just noticed that this issue has been seen earlier at http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel...saturation
So you say that with a Gotham Build, xrandr output range full and deactivating hardware acceleration it should work..?
Okay, so here's where I'm at. Still unable to get any audio from my i3 Haswell NUC through my Panasonic plasma (TC-P50G10). So, I decided to try hooking it up to another TV. I hooked it up to an older Sony LCD and it worked flawlessly. Both audio and video. I checked the Audio Output Device setting and it showed "HDA Intel MID, Sony TV on HDMI". Since I had the Sony LCD next to the Panasonic, I switched the HDMI cable over to the Panasonic and the audio worked! So, it seems my Panasonic works with the Sony output device, but not with the Panasonic one. Of course, once I rebooted, it auto detected the output device and I was back to no audio again. So, a question for the XBMC experts - is there any way to manually set the audio output device, or prevent it from auto detecting?
What wireless card is the best for this nuc.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMCV...ttom_links
(2013-11-16, 10:03)gamble Wrote: So you say that with a Gotham Build, xrandr output range full and deactivating hardware acceleration it should work..?
I don't think you even need Gotham, just use xrandr in autostart.sh and deactivate VA-API in settings. I'll set mine up like this until VA-API gets fixed.

I think two issues should be filed:

1) VA-API decoder output colors are off. I reproduced it with mplayer-vaapi, so it isn't an xbmc issue. I think gstreamer would be the best to demonstrate the issue (save raw output, compare to ffmpeg decoder or known reference), but I haven't been able to get it working yet.

2) Quantization range is not signaled in AVI infoframes. I'm still slightly unsure about this, since it could be something else with my system. This was discussed in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46800#c9 but the developer was also unable to test it.

If anybody can provide more datapoints (any intel system where the quantization range is signaled successfully - ie. blacks don't change when switching rgb ranges using xrandr) or a working gstreamer decoding pipeline, that would be helpful.
(2013-11-16, 04:13)Clack Wrote: I feel really dumb. Hopefully this is an easy fix.

I'm all installed (openelec on SSD) but have no fan art! I put all my media on a WD mycloud NAS and added sources through the upnp source option where the mycloud showed up. Everything is there and it all plays but no fan art which is half the fun. Any ideas?

For anyone as dumb as I was, you have to add the source through NFS, UPnP sources won't scan for whatever reason.
(2013-11-16, 21:40)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-16, 10:03)gamble Wrote: So you say that with a Gotham Build, xrandr output range full and deactivating hardware acceleration it should work..?
I don't think you even need Gotham, just use xrandr in autostart.sh and deactivate VA-API in settings. I'll set mine up like this until VA-API gets fixed.

I think two issues should be filed:

1) VA-API decoder output colors are off. I reproduced it with mplayer-vaapi, so it isn't an xbmc issue. I think gstreamer would be the best to demonstrate the issue (save raw output, compare to ffmpeg decoder or known reference), but I haven't been able to get it working yet.

2) Quantization range is not signaled in AVI infoframes. I'm still slightly unsure about this, since it could be something else with my system. This was discussed in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46800#c9 but the developer was also unable to test it.

If anybody can provide more datapoints (any intel system where the quantization range is signaled successfully - ie. blacks don't change when switching rgb ranges using xrandr) or a working gstreamer decoding pipeline, that would be helpful.

Hmm need Try tomorrow and Report back, so u Say i can still run the stable 3.2.3, deactivate va-API, Set RGB via autostart to Füll and should be Good, Right ?
When deactivate hardware-decoding, my Bluray m2ts files will stutter with my i3 Haswell Nuc. This is no option for me.
Have any found a fanless case for sale yet? I5 version
(2013-11-14, 14:21)alex84 Wrote:
(2013-11-12, 23:48)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-12, 23:23)Clack Wrote: I can follow directions well but have no idea how to troubleshoot this stuff. Are you guys saying the newest nightly build of Openelec Gotham works with the IR sensor and remotes? Should I just do the stable release for now and paste the code I saw into some script somehow? Is there a total noob tutorial on this?
Start with the stable release and follow http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh to create a startup script with the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Work around NUC CIR issue
# see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&page=17 and
# https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 for more information

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

# set RGB full range

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The first part should get your IR working, second part is only needed if your blacks are gray.

I needed the same with nightly build too.

Hi mate i tried the above autostart.sh script. It fixed my gray/blacks back to normal but i still cant use my remote.
If i ssh into my box and enter the commands it starts to work but after a reboot it stops again. Can it be something wrong running the commands in autostart.sh under latest openelec?

Please advice

Same thing. I know it's something simple we're missing. Thanks for the help guys.
(2013-11-16, 23:35)gamble Wrote: Hmm need Try tomorrow and Report back, so u Say i can still run the stable 3.2.3, deactivate va-API, Set RGB via autostart to Füll and should be Good, Right ?
That's what I'm running now with good results.

(2013-11-17, 00:01)TimSalabim Wrote: When deactivate hardware-decoding, my Bluray m2ts files will stutter with my i3 Haswell Nuc. This is no option for me.
Have you looked at the cpu usage? Is it using all 4 threads?

I think multithreaded decoding may be disabled by default. I would imagine the i3 would have enough power to decode in software.

edit: never mind, I just checked and multithreading seems to be enabled in 3.2.3
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7