• 30(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Band-aid color space problem is not a quirk when the primary mission of this box is video playing. Wink
I think my windows issue was related to an addon. It seems to be working now.. Smile
(2013-11-19, 20:54)Selene Wrote: I think my windows issue was related to an addon. It seems to be working now.. Smile

Great to hear you have sorted out.
It might that I am getting SSD tomorrow, and I can do a test with Win. Which versions of Win did you try, and which is best for the porpuose?
Think im gonna try tha Ubuntu route, its not that complicated to get where i am now and maybe turning it off the first time will work again ^^
Ubuntu or OE... both are Linux, both have same band color problems when using HW decoding. Unfortunatelly. Sad
(2013-11-19, 20:17)arokh Wrote: Haha yeah I get that Smile Just boot it up in OE or something yourself when you get it and decide whether you can live with the quirks on Linux or not.

Plenty of hardware runs great on OE without "quirks" but you are right, Windows has better driver support due to more users. Regardless of that, a LOT of us view an HTPC as an appliance box and do not want the Windows headaches just to have XBMC in our living rooms.
(2013-11-19, 21:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Plenty of hardware runs great on OE without "quirks" but you are right, Windows has better driver support due to more users. Regardless of that, a LOT of us view an HTPC as an appliance box and do not want the Windows headaches just to have XBMC in our living rooms.
On Windows these kinds of problem might be impossible to fix though. We have the Linux driver source, and at least the colorspace problem should not be that difficult to fix ourselves if Intel doesn't. Adding limited range output would be nice too, and I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Re. other hardware that runs great on OE without "quirks" - is there anything besides Haswell that gives accurate 24000/1001 playback? As far as I know, no other Intel (or AMD or NVidia) system does yet, regardless of operating system.
If I read the "tea leaves" correctly, there should be an OpenELEC build tonight that fixes both the Black Screen issue at startup and provides a multi-threading software decode option.

Fingers crossed.

The build should be labeled 20131119xxxxx and show up here: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/
(2013-11-19, 21:58)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 21:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Plenty of hardware runs great on OE without "quirks" but you are right, Windows has better driver support due to more users. Regardless of that, a LOT of us view an HTPC as an appliance box and do not want the Windows headaches just to have XBMC in our living rooms.
On Windows these kinds of problem might be impossible to fix though. We have the Linux driver source, and at least the colorspace problem should not be that difficult to fix ourselves if Intel doesn't. Adding limited range output would be nice too, and I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Re. other hardware that runs great on OE without "quirks" - is there anything besides Haswell that gives accurate 24000/1001 playback? As far as I know, no other Intel (or AMD or NVidia) system does yet, regardless of operating system.

nvidia has had 23.976 playback perfectly at least as far back as my old g210 with dts-hd and truehd coming on fermi based cards.

Code:
<mode id="0x1e9" name="1920x1080" w="1920" h="1080" hz="23.97606" current="true" preferred="false"/>
(2013-11-19, 22:47)furii Wrote: nvidia has had 23.976 playback perfectly at least as far back as my old g210 with dts-hd and truehd coming on fermi based cards.

Nop it didnt have perfect 23.976 playback

Yeah, that's why I personally put the time in to fix the quirks and make it run smooth and appliance like. Linux is so much better in every way, and Retroarch in DRM/KMS especially flies on this system. I think HTPC's should run emulators as well, can't wait for Wayland/retroplayer to mature.
(2013-11-19, 20:56)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 20:54)Selene Wrote: I think my windows issue was related to an addon. It seems to be working now.. Smile

Great to hear you have sorted out.
It might that I am getting SSD tomorrow, and I can do a test with Win. Which versions of Win did you try, and which is best for the porpuose?

I ran Windows 7 SP1.. worked off the bat, but I think 8.1 is probably better, if you can get it. There's a weird green line in the minimized video overlay (4:3) mode but not present in fullscreen that happens in Win7 but not in 8.

Otherwise I imagine they're very similar. Note that I did use XBMCLauncher, and I edited a ton of stuff, for example, I made sleep shutdown by editing registry keys, and I also replaced the bootloader, and messages using ResHacker.

Good luck
(2013-11-19, 23:03)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 22:47)furii Wrote: nvidia has had 23.976 playback perfectly at least as far back as my old g210 with dts-hd and truehd coming on fermi based cards.

pasted the xbmc-xrandr output from my gt610, not sure what else you want. it's not really relavent to this thread except in response to lmyllari.
Yowzers! Now I can't even power on my NUC. I couldn't leave good enough alone I guess.

Tired setting shutdown to Suspend with the hopes I could power off and on with the xbox remote. With that setting it would start to shut off, then open back up on the shutdown screen asking "are you sure you want to shut down?". I switched back to Shutdown on Shutdown, and it shutdown for good!

The power button is very light green. Neither a quick press or longer hold does anything. I've tried unplugging too. Did I kill it? Will it live again?
(2013-11-20, 00:18)furii Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 23:03)solamnic Wrote:

pasted the xbmc-xrandr output from my gt610, not sure what else you want. it's not really relavent to this thread except in response to lmyllari.

Nvidia has not had "perfect" 23.976 playback, nor has ATI. They both have video cards that are close, both my GT430 and my ATI 4850 had very accurate clocks, but neither had "true" 23.976 playback, both were off a bit, to the point that you might get a frame-drop every 1.5-2.5 hours during playback of a long movie.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7