• 101(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
Chirping: I did some testing and, passthrough ON, I definitely heard chirping on:
XVID MP3 2.0
DIVX MP3 2.0
AVC1 AAC 2.0

I did not hear chirping on:
AVC1 DD 2.0
AVC1 DD 5.1

However, with passthrough OFF, I listened again to an AVC1 DD 5.1 that had sounded clean with passthrough ON.This time, I did hear some chirping.
(2013-11-24, 20:46)MilhouseVH Wrote: New Gotham build on Dropbox.

Based on OpenELEC master (Commit: 46fa31303cbce93effa83b9bb59313bd5488a007).

* Includes all newclock3 patches (except for "ffmpeg demuxer: faster channel change..." - bd300d0 - which fails to apply against xbmc master)
* Includes fix for JSON Files.GetDirectory() (24ce994a311668ff6fbb2840230c24405dd6300a)
* Includes fix for consistent webserver/GUI artwork caching (PR:3671)
* Excludes fernetmenta patch

Hi,
sorry for the dumb question, I searched but didn't find any answer.
I installed the openelec image 3.2.3 and them I downloaded this build provided by MilhouseVH and I replaced the 4 files in Target folder with the ones on SD card. But now I can't boot this build.

Any clue? Anything i did wrong?
Whats the correct way to use this build?

Thanks for your support.
(2013-11-26, 11:12)zeus[x] Wrote: Hi,
sorry for the dumb question, I searched but didn't find any answer.
I installed the openelec image 3.2.3 and them I downloaded this build provided by MilhouseVH and I replaced the 4 files in Target folder with the ones on SD card. But now I can't boot this build.

Any clue? Anything i did wrong?
Whats the correct way to use this build?

Thanks for your support.

If you're upgrading from a 3.2.3 build, you need to extract the 4 files from the Target folder and put them in your Update folder on the Pi, then reboot the Pi.

If you Pi is not booting, you'll need to fix the SD card manually as follows:
  1. Put SD card in your PC
  2. Open the tar file of your chosen OpenELEC build
  3. Copy target/SYSTEM to the root of the SD card
  4. Copy target/KERNEL to the root of the SD card, renaming it to kernel.img on the SD card
  5. Copy 3rdparty/bootloader/bootcode.bin to the root of the SD card
  6. Copy 3rdparty/bootloader/fixup.dat to the root of the SD card
  7. Copy 3rdparty/bootloader/start.elf to the root of the SD card
  8. Eject SD card from PC, put back in Pi, boot Pi
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@MilhouseVH,
thanks for your fast reply,
also, thanks alot for all you work on XBMC comunity.

I used the win32diskimager-v0.9 software (windows) to copy the .img file to the SD card and I followed your instructions. I could sucessefully boot the Pi.

But, When It opens the OpenELEC wellcome menu, on the network, it crash. No visible wired network is shown and nothing happens. The Pi hangs on that point.

Thanks do your help.
There's a bug in the Gotham first-time setup network wizard which means it loops constantly (not sure if it crashes) so normally you would configure a release build (eg. 3.2.2) then upgrade to Gotham, or there's a manual workaround which involves copying in the settings file. See here.

If this isn't your problem, then I'm not sure what is going wrong - if you're overclocked, remove the overclock.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks,
that was a good tip.
Later today I will test the sound and the MCE remote control.
With the build OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Rbej-Version-Gotham-Popcornmix-Branch(09.10.2013) MCE wasn't working.

However with the official release (3.2.3) everything was working fine.

Soon as I get more results I will type here.

Once again, thanks for your support.
There seems to be a problem with "rewind" on music - it always seeks forward (rather than backwards). Fast forward works correctly though.

Seeking in either direction works correctly with video media.

(testing with the build I posted up the other day)
Microsoft MCE remote working fine with this build =)
Is anyone finding that the audio amplification/compression gets messed up when jumping around in videos? I have it set to 18db and when I start watching something it's fine but when I jump forward or back, it seems to get a lot louder, like it's fixed itself to 18db and isn't adjusting in relation to the audio stream as it should.

The loud glitches when starting playing and skipping seem to be gone now though, which is great Smile
(2013-11-26, 16:47)doveman2 Wrote: Is anyone finding that the audio amplification/compression gets messed up when jumping around in videos? I have it set to 18db and when I start watching something it's fine but when I jump forward or back, it seems to get a lot louder, like it's fixed itself to 18db and isn't adjusting in relation to the audio stream as it should.

That is expected.
The 18dB will be added to the volume when playback starts. To avoid clipping, there is an attenuation level that is calculated.
If (volume+amplification > max_level) then the attenuation is increased. The attenuation slowly decays when we are not in danger of clipping.
Overall this means that quiet parts of the movie are amplified by 18dB, but loud parts are left alone.

After a seek, the attenuation is reset to 0, and allowed to settle based on the current volume level in the file (exactly as if you'd started playback from there).
So, if you had just passed a loud part of movie, where attenuation had increased to 18dB, and you are now in a quiet part, the attenuation will be slowly decaying (e.g. it might be 15dB)
and you then seek to an equally quiet part, it will seem louder as the attenuation is reset to 0.
However it should be the same volume as you would have got just by waiting for the decay to take it to zero.
(2013-11-26, 02:48)MilhouseVH Wrote: Here's a 100MB sample mkv on dropbox, it's the opening titles from Blade Runner Directors Cut, 1080p/DD5.1. Audio starts at 13 seconds, however chirping is usually evident as the green tree is being traced line by line.

A second 100MB sample mkv (dropbox) - the opening titles from Blade Runner Final Cut, 5 audio streams: default TrueHD, DD5.1 and 3x DD2.0 - is even worse, though I'm not sure if the multitude of audio streams (including TrueHD) is a complicating issue. If you play it then cycle to the DD5.1 audio, stop it and restart playback with the DD5.1 audio, you should hear chirping from the outset.

I've copied your audio settings, set amplification to 30dB and played both samples. I'm using an Onkyo 606 receiver with headphones. Heard nothing like chirping.
Also tried with an LG TV (32LW450U), and didn't sport any chirping.

My guess is that the chirps aren't really being output (do you have another hdmi device to try?), but are being generated by your TV due to it not liking the signal in some way (e.g. the clocking).
There has been a fair bit of hdmi audio rework recently (mostly committed to master on Nov 7th). I did include some config options to switch between different schemes in case there were problems.

But really I need to know what firmware introduced the problem. Can you take the working xbmc image and try it with start.elf/fixup.dat from Nov 7th?
Try to identify the firmware that caused the quirks, and I'll be able to narrow down what tests to run.
Mine is HDMI to the monitor, line out from monitor to line-in on my PC (X-Fi soundcard) and then to my PC speakers. I'll try and narrow down the specific firmware later tonight. Will also try connecting the Pi (using "bad" firmware) to my Onkyo 828 amp.

(2013-11-26, 22:45)popcornmix Wrote: Heard nothing like chirping.

To try and describe what I'm referring to as "chirping" - it's like wow & flutter on an old tape system, a brief speed change in the audio resulting in very noticeable distortion. I may try and upload a sound recording or video later... Smile
(2013-11-27, 01:11)MilhouseVH Wrote: To try and describe what I'm referring to as "chirping" - it's like wow & flutter on an old tape system, a brief speed change in the audio resulting in very noticeable distortion. I may try and upload a sound recording or video later... Smile

You haven't enabled the fixed latency (live tv) mode? That will provoke audio resampling to maintain a fixed latency buffer.
(2013-11-27, 01:33)popcornmix Wrote: You haven't enabled the fixed latency (live tv) mode? That will provoke audio resampling to maintain a fixed latency buffer.

No, I don't use any PVR functionality.

My Video settings:

The one option not in view - Disable stereoscopic mode when playback is stopped - is enabled (I assume this is a default setting). The Monitor is not 3D capable.

My cmdline.txt:
Code:
ip=dhcp boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=UUID=33142caa-653a-4168-9138-575353723a22 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N ssh fastboot noram
and my config.txt:
Code:
gpu_mem=256

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=4
over_voltage_sdram=4

force_turbo=1

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Here's the video of me playing back the BRFC_100 sample: 88MB dropbox, apologies for the quality but hope it's good enough to give you the idea.

The "chirping" can be clearly heard during the "tree" segment, and also as the cast names appear the electronic strings (violins?) are distorted, almost as if there's a distant echo. What's strange is that it doesn't always do this, it took me three attempts at playing the sample before I managed to reproduce the problem.

I'll get back to you on the firmware later (need to catch up on some Champions League footie). Smile
(2013-11-27, 01:50)MilhouseVH Wrote: No, I don't use any PVR functionality.

It's not part of PVR - it's in settings/video/playback. From this:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...9f6ef9a0a6
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223