• 2(current)
ChromeCast for XBMC
(2013-10-16, 22:44)Eleazar Coding Wrote: Exactly, that's what I'd like: to be able to attach a ChromeCast Dongle to my television and stream to it from my other XBMC devices.
That would be too cool...
(2013-11-19, 20:40)nickr Wrote: It does. Try pipelight.

Does this work on RaspBMC or Openelec on the Raspberry PI?
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
I don't know. I am not the google you seek.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-21, 00:52)nickr Wrote: I don't know. I am not the google you seek.

What, you're not nickroogle? Smile
Pipelight is x86 only, so no love for arm devices.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
Instead of wanting a chromecast to stream to, why not get a android stick (they are about the same size as a chromecast) and install xbmc on it. Plug it into your TV. Stream to it from any other xbmc. I am not an expert in android sticks, but surely there must be one that you can install xbmc on, with video acceleration.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Because Chromecast can do many other things well, like stream directly from Netflix and now HBO Go which is something XBMC doesn't do well. I just added a TV to my kitchen and it has no "smart" features and no way to get a Sat/Cable signal there. Right now I'm using my iPad connected via HDMI but a Chromecast would allow me to stream directly from many sources and adding XBMC as one of those sources would be awesome.
(2013-11-21, 16:34)Chimera2345 Wrote: Because Chromecast can do many other things well, like stream directly from Netflix and now HBO Go which is something XBMC doesn't do well. I just added a TV to my kitchen and it has no "smart" features and no way to get a Sat/Cable signal there. Right now I'm using my iPad connected via HDMI but a Chromecast would allow me to stream directly from many sources and adding XBMC as one of those sources would be awesome.

To be fair, Nickr's recommendation would indeed handle everything that you just mentioned. Android Play store has both Netflix and HBO Go. Granted, they won't all be played through the XBMC interface, but all of this can be accomplished with a cheap Android stick.

Also worth mentioning that the Chromecast does not support the full set of codecs that XBMC can play. If memory serves correct I believe MPEG2 is a noticeable omission.
I use my android phone to decode all my XBMC video. It just can't be that hard to cast that video to a Chromecast? Would be nice to have my fileshare on my main desktop, and free up my entertainment stand. Simply use my phone, point to a video in my library, hit play, and it streams on the TV wirelessly.
(2013-11-22, 23:29)weaved37 Wrote: I use my android phone to decode all my XBMC video. It just can't be that hard to cast that video to a Chromecast? Would be nice to have my fileshare on my main desktop, and free up my entertainment stand. Simply use my phone, point to a video in my library, hit play, and it streams on the TV wirelessly.

In the meantime......get an Android stick, install XBMC, use your phone as a remote control. It's virtually identical to what you just described.
Or use one of the many upnp/dlna casting apps for android to send videos to xbmc from your phone.
(2013-11-19, 10:21)Barry D. Wrote:
(2013-10-26, 09:48)lartomar2002 Wrote:
(2013-10-16, 22:44)Eleazar Coding Wrote: Exactly, that's what I'd like: to be able to attach a ChromeCast Dongle to my television and stream to it from my other XBMC devices.

Me too, that would be great.

I would love that too so the wife could send XMBC content from her tablet to a bigger TV screen.

Exactly - I'd love to have something like that when traveling for business. Not exactly convenient to carry a descent size HDMI cable with you, but bringing along a dongle that you can stream too from XBMC on a laptop would be fantastic. A hell of a lot better than watching XBMC on your laptop or tablet.
(2013-12-03, 13:40)FLHTCUSE3 Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 10:21)Barry D. Wrote:
(2013-10-26, 09:48)lartomar2002 Wrote: Me too, that would be great.

I would love that too so the wife could send XMBC content from her tablet to a bigger TV screen.

Exactly - I'd love to have something like that when traveling for business. Not exactly convenient to carry a descent size HDMI cable with you, but bringing along a dongle that you can stream too from XBMC on a laptop would be fantastic. A hell of a lot better than watching XBMC on your laptop or tablet.

The Chromecast doesn't work in most hotels. It doesn't support the standard wifi authentication portals that most hotels use, and it won't work in networks configured with AP Isolation which most hotels have enabled. You could bring a laptop and install software to make the laptop work like a router to share the wifi network connection, but that's a PITA and you're probably better off just connecting the laptop to the TV with HDMI.

This limitation of the Chromecast was disappointing to me, and if I'm being honest it's just one of several disappointments with the device. I had thought this thing was a bargain at $35, but for a few months it's served as nothing but a mediocre Netflix streamer so I guess the price is about fair IMO.
a Xbmc dongle to wirelessly stream to any hdmi input, would be great for 2014!
Doesn't that work already?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeCast for XBMC1