• 77(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-12-08, 22:59)zag Wrote: If someone wants to list all the facts and fixes in this thread I will update the first post.

+1000
I've been following this thread since the beginning and I'm still a little lost with all of those tweaks and fixes. A nice list of the fixes for each platform would be great!
I am also unable to enter the BIOS. If I swap from my TV to PC monitor it works fine

Can anybody please help with setting up the remote control? I am using a harmony and Ubuntu

I added:

Code:
sudo modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | sudo tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && sudo modprobe nuvoton-cir

into etc/rc.local

which only enables the basic buttons in XBMC

So I installed lirc and selected the mceusb remote which gives me all the correct remote buttons but this results in numerous double key presses.

I've tried using a different lircd.conf file and have added a remote delay in XBMC but none of these have any effect,

Dave
(2013-12-08, 03:15)Clack Wrote: Power button on the brand spanking new replacement nuc just stopped working. This thing is really starting to piss me off. Hit the button, it hung on load, held the button and it started blinking, wouldn't stop. Unplugged from power, replugged. Button is fried. Now I can only wake on lan again. ARRRRRGHGHGHHGHGHHGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it's the power button, hardware at least. My scenarios are:

1. Running 3.2.X with colour fixes, using suspend, the NUC just starts itself up again, ie. it won't stay sleeping
2. Running 3.2.X with colour fixes, using shutdown, the NUC shuts down perfectly.
3. Running Gotham nightlies, using Suspend, the NUC gets a 'working' dialogue box and then crashes
4. Running Gotham nightlies, using shutdown, the NUC shuts down perfectly

So my first issue is Suspend. I believe someone from here posted on the NUC forums about the issue, yet to get an answer. Seems to relate to the USB3 host waking up the system, which may also relate to the Suspend crash from Gotham nightlies, I have heard USB3 is still a bit finicky in Linux.

The second issue is, with scenario (3) above, I have to do a hard reset with the power button. The system powers down, but then the button does not work. Even unplugging the power cable doesn't resolve the issue. But!, using the power button on the remote works perfectly. The only other way to get the hardware power button working again is to open the NUC up and take out the ram, S3 suspend keeps it's footprint in ram.

This now leads me to believe that there is an issue with the low level code back to the bios, somehow, OE issues a halt S3 command to the bios, the bios can't process the command, but OE has already halted. The bios then sits there waiting for an un-suspend command (sorry for the lack of technical terms), ignoring any input from the hardware power button (we get similar issues on some HP PC's at my work when they crash), but interpreting the power button on the remote as a wake-from-suspend command (a simple soft power on command). The problem is, hard powering down the NUC kills the XBMC process, so you're back to rebooting from scratch when this happens.

So my conclusion is, this is a bios level issue that Intel need to fix. Intel are normally pretty quick with these, so hopefully we get a fix in a week or so. It's annoying having to use shutdown rather than suspend, as it causes issues with my central SQL database and also takes longer too boot, but it's better than not suspending, at least for me, which leaves my NAS running all the time.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping I can give some insight into what I believe the problem to be.
If someone consolidates the facts and fixes, it would be great if there were some brief mention of Win 7 - right now I have no idea what works or doesn't and I'm not looking forward to reading through the 115-and-counting pages of this thread that seems to be almost entirely about Openelec.

Unless of course nobody has installed Win 7 on one yet, or everything works perfectly the first time out of the box with no particular configuration needed, both of which I kind of doubt. Smile
(2013-12-09, 04:47)antisuck Wrote: If someone consolidates the facts and fixes, it would be great if there were some brief mention of Win 7 - right now I have no idea what works or doesn't and I'm not looking forward to reading through the 115-and-counting pages of this thread that seems to be almost entirely about Openelec.

Unless of course nobody has installed Win 7 on one yet, or everything works perfectly the first time out of the box with no particular configuration needed, both of which I kind of doubt. Smile

My sentiments exactly. In fact i commented earlier in this thread concerning the need for a thread on the new nuc on Windows. I might do just that as soon as i get mine setup.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
Wouldn't a wiki page (or pages) make more sense?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Funny... you two just have to read page 113 and you'll know my trouble with Win 7...

By the way. I solved it by installing Win 8! On the new OS everything works perfectly!
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-12-09, 10:19)micoba Wrote: Funny... you two just have to read page 113 and you'll know my trouble with Win 7...

By the way. I solved it by installing Win 8! On the new OS everything works perfectly!

Could you be more specific rather than everything? Would be very helpful for others.

24p Refresh Rate
DTS-HD Master Audio / True HD bitstreaming
40gb Iso's
3D playback

Trying to find something that does literally everything except 4k Support

No deep black color issues Ive seen elsewhere not sure if it's a openelec problem?

Making it hard to commit to purchase when all you read are Intel need to fix this and bugs etc..
Did you read my comment on 113?

I can't tell you much more! I never experienced the black block issue neither in Win nor in Openelec, perhaps I just don't see it (good for me). But I had problems autoconnecting my USB Ext2 HDD in Win 7 - the settings in Ext2sd wouldn't stick although I did it like described here (in German, but the pictures should give you an idea):

http://tipps4you.de/tipp-32-win7.html

The same settings now work in Win 8. As long as I don't install Speedfan. That might be the reason, why it didn't work in Win 7.

But the even bigger problem was, that the browsing through XBMC wasn't fluent in Win 7, whereas I have no problems in Win 8 or Openelec.

Regarding 4k: I don't have an UHD TV. But if you point me to a 4k testvideo I will try it and report back.

Overall the i3 is great - as long as you use Openelec or Win 8 (I didn't try other Linux distros). I use it as an emulator gamestation, too. With the right settings in bios it's inaudible.

The network speeds are great. I can copy video files from my PC to the nuc to a connected usb 3.0 hdd with speeds between 60-90 MB per second. This was the main reason for me to wait for the Haswell Nucs - the USB 3.0 ports!
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
So, I'll take a punt at collating the info for OpenElec so far, and hopefully people can correct it if it isn't correct!

Colour:
(2013-12-05, 02:17)lmyllari Wrote: The banding comes from expanding luma from 16-235 to 0-255. This is done for typical PC monitors, which expect a full range signal. New Intel linux drivers by default give TVs a limited range signal, taking the expanded 0-255 and scaling it to 16-235. This does not eliminate the banding that was created by the original expansion, and original information below 16 and above 235 was already lost in that same step. (Why do they do it? It's the right thing according to the standards, and some TVs don't like full range -> crushed blacks.)

If the player software (xbmc in this case) decodes to 16-235 (meaning "don't change luminance, keep black at 16 and white at 235"), the video card outputs full range 0-255 (meaning "don't scale the levels, just output what you're given"), and display is set to limited range input (meaning "16 is black, 235 white"), we eliminate the banding in greyscale ramp (because the range is not scaled at any point) and keep blacker-than-black (luma values under 16) and white-than-white (luma values above 235).

If your plasma defaults to limited range RGB (and doesn't listen to the infoframes in the HDMI stream) or you can set limited range manually, you don't need anything special. Just set your player software to 16-235 (which you can now do with Gotham and software decoding) and make sure the video card doesn't change the signal (the xrandr broadcast range "Full" setting mentioned a lot in this thread). In my case, the monitor obeys the infoframes (and there are other devices connected to the same input preventing a manual setting), so I need a patch to switch it to limited range without altering the video signal.

Remote:
(2013-12-02, 10:19)Dogboltt Wrote: SSH to openelec box and type:

cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod 0777 autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

If you are running the latest nightlies, I believe that is all that is required.
Thanks I updated the first post.

Any notes for windows 7 and 8 thats worth mentioning?
(2013-12-09, 13:06)zag Wrote: Thanks I updated the first post.

Any notes for windows 7 and 8 thats worth mentioning?

No one reads my posts Sad
You can mention there have been multiple users with problems running W7, while every post mentioning W8 seem to be ok.
When I ran windows 7 I didn't have any issues.
might be nice merging this with the Gigabyte brix - considering the specs are almost identical.

nuc has built in IR receiver.
brix has built in bt+wifi

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104
  • 77(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7