• 135(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
about to try now, thanx
Just booted a empty partition and copy .storage to new f2fs using samba/ssh/other

Dont forget to edit cmdline.txt
You mean .xbmc, right?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Easiest solution is to tar up your old /storage partition, then untar to the f2fs partition. At least you still have a usable backup if it all goes wrong.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Milhouse VH new build is great but my remote (old xbox remote with usb xbox dongle) is not working.

(2013-12-20, 17:56)MilhouseVH Wrote: New OpenELEC Gotham build: #2012

Code:
rpi512:~ # uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.12.5 #1 PREEMPT Fri Dec 20 13:40:20 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
rpi512:~ # vcgencmd version
Dec  2 2013 20:30:23
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 0334d765c5cb144589b4d7a4ac68ae8f136491e1 (clean) (release)
rpi512:~ # lsb_release
OpenELEC_Gotham (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20131220135623-r16601-g3ded391

Based on tip of XBMC master (b3616297d6) and tip of OpenELEC master (3ded391359) with the following modifications:
  • Includes these newclock3 commits (except for eabf8af which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the fernetmenta patches (due to conflict)
OpenELEC Gotham now includes libcec 2.1.4 as standard.
(2013-12-21, 01:26)MilhouseVH Wrote: Easiest solution is to tar up your old /storage partition, then untar to the f2fs partition. At least you still have a usable backup if it all goes wrong.

And under Windows? With minitool partiton magic i cannot format in f2fs!
you can use gparted live 0.17
Does not read most of the time xbmc but there would be ext4 faster?
IMO EXT4 is slightly faster than F2FS in Reads and much slower in Writes.
I can't really say I notice any difference in library browsing.
There's a significant performance increase in installs and updates as well as restoring backups.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
f2fs is instable, i lost sometimes my settings! Test with dynamic 1ghz oc
(2013-12-21, 14:02)xbs08 Wrote: IMO EXT4 is slightly faster than F2FS in Reads and much slower in Writes.
I can't really say I notice any difference in library browsing.
There's a significant performance increase in installs and updates as well as restoring backups.

That's pretty much borne out by my own testing and also confirmed by phoronix who concluded that ext4 is the fastest filesystem when reading (ext4, f2fs xfs, btrfs in descending order of performance) but f2fs is fastest when writing (f2fs, ext4, btrfs, xfs in that order).

When first setting up a system it seems that f2fs would be the best filesystem, as you'll be generating lots of writes while scanning and caching, but once the system is up and running ext4 would be the optimal filesystem. As it's not possible to use both*, I'd stick with ext4 as it's more stable and has better read performance which is what you'll be doing most of the time.

* Putting the SQLite databases (which will be written frequently) on a small f2fs partition and everything else (/storage, thumbnails etc.) on ext4 might be the best compromise solution and may be possible with path substitution (or symbolic link) of the Database folder.

EDIT: I've confirmed that its certainly possible to create two partitions - one ext4 (for /storage) and the other f2fs - then move the Database folder to the f2fs partition and sym link /storage/.xbmc/userdata/Database from ext4. The f2fs partition will be mounted automatically by OpenELEC, using an automatically constructed mount point (eg. /var/media/sda2-usb-_USB_DISK_3.0_07) but it may be easier to remount with -o noatime and use an easier to remember mount point (eg. /var/media/f2fs) - this can all be handled in autostart.sh. The system boots reliably (which is a problem I had when using f2fs as /storage) but I'm not really sure if there's any significant benefit - there's probably some, however if you are using MySQL (as I am) the benefit is likely to be minimal and not worth the effort.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Is anyone else seeing Pi lockups after leaving video on pause for an extended (15min+) length of time?
(2013-12-21, 21:01)postdeath Wrote: Is anyone else seeing Pi lockups after leaving video on pause for an extended (15min+) length of time?

Haven't tested for that but I'm having a lot of lockups whilst TV is playing, which I have to powercycle (i.e. reboot) to fix with build #2012. I'll have to go back to 16442 to check that they don't happen with that (they never did before, so if they are now it would suggest a hardware/power issue rather than the new build).
(2013-12-21, 21:01)postdeath Wrote: Is anyone else seeing Pi lockups after leaving video on pause for an extended (15min+) length of time?

I've been getting this as well, but with rbej's latest frodo build (and tvheadend on the same RPi). Perhaps a backend or kernel issue rather than xbmc?
I've also had xbmc-reboots when pausing video files for a while now.
Debug is activated now, will try to get hold on a logfile the next time it crashes...

Another problem that arose for me:
since MilhouseVH's build #1512c my tv's remote is only occasionally detected. I guess that's because of the newly included libcec.
Build #2012 does the same for me.

The RPi and the tv are both switched on concurrently by remote-controlled sockets.
My television's remote only works if the tv is running before the RPi starts, if the RPi is running and I switch on my tv later, I can't use the remote.
This behaviour does not occur on any build before #1512.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • 135(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223