• 138(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
hi, i dont get one thing, why openelec on pi can create thumbnails for video files but cannot play them (i have only audio)

Format : Flash Video
File size : 57.3 MiB
Duration : 8mn 32s
Overall bit rate : 938 Kbps
Tagged date : UTC 2013-11-10 17:42:23
Tagging application : inlet media FLVTool2 v1.0.6 - http://www.inlet-media.de/flvtool2

Video
Format : Sorenson Spark
Codec ID : 2
Duration : 8mn 32s
Bit rate : 802 Kbps
Width : 480 pixels
Height : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.205
Stream size : 49.1 MiB (86%)
My 1080i channels via tvheadend are still detected as 4K and not playable every time. I can provide a sample recording of one of those channel if it helps. (Not sure if it is related to Raspberry Pi or general XBMC.)
(2013-12-26, 02:33)Doktor-X Wrote: hi, i dont get one thing, why openelec on pi can create thumbnails for video files but cannot play them (i have only audio)

Because thumbnails only require decoding a single frame of video using a software decoder (which typically takes many seconds).
Playing a video requires decoding every frame at 30fps, which is a much harder proposition, and requires hardware decode support (using standard codecs).
(2013-12-26, 11:34)ntadej Wrote: My 1080i channels via tvheadend are still detected as 4K and not playable every time. I can provide a sample recording of one of those channel if it helps. (Not sure if it is related to Raspberry Pi or general XBMC.)

See:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3680

I believe there has been a tvheadend fix, but that may not have made it into latest builds. There is also an xbmc fix which isn't accepted yet.
However I think this issue only related to the reported size and doesn't affect playback.

If you have a recording that fails to play, then providing a sample may help.
Thank you for the reference. I will try to play the channels and recordings from this channel and report back.
popcornmix is it posible to enable soft decoding anyway for files that dont have hardware decoding (maybe like experimental functionality with on off switch)
(2013-12-26, 15:26)Doktor-X Wrote: popcornmix is it posible to enable soft decoding anyway for files that dont have hardware decoding (maybe like experimental functionality with on off switch)

Yes, it's pretty trivial (but needs a custom build). Remove the ifdef here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...nfig.h#L91

Then you can context-menu/play with dvdplayer. However some plugins are hard coded to dvdplayer, so will no longer use omxplayer (hence the ifdef code).

However I've never seen a stream that will keep up with software decoding on the Pi. I'd guess the limit will be about QVGA (320x240).
So, I'm not going to encourage this change. If you can build xbmc yourself, then feel free to try it.
@popcornmix
After some library fast scrolling using MCE RC6 remote posters show empty, this doesn't occur when using Yatse, posters are always visible when fast scrolling library.
Is MCE remote (USB connected) using more resources then Yatse?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
i have dedibox SC Gen2 server at online.net so ill try to build

PS
if i'm not mistaken
first build script
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make
need to download xbmc tree so that i can make modification
and then
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release
to build
(2013-12-26, 15:54)xbs08 Wrote: @popcornmix
After some library fast scrolling using MCE RC6 remote posters show empty, this doesn't occur when using Yatse, posters are always visible when fast scrolling library.
Is MCE remote (USB connected) using more resources then Yatse?

Can you check xbmc.log for errors (probably resource failed from image_decode).
Different remote interfaces generate scroll messages at different speeds, and the faster you scroll, the more thumbnails exist in (gpu) memory at once.
Increasing gpu_mem may avoid this issue.
(2013-12-26, 17:45)Doktor-X Wrote: i have dedibox SC Gen2 server at online.net so ill try to build

PS
if i'm not mistaken
first build script
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make
need to download xbmc tree so that i can make modification
and then
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release
to build

Sounds about right, but the instructions are here:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...spberry_Pi

(although openelec.tv looks down at the moment).
Have a problem, i lost sometimes my scraper from movies folder!

I have the problem with the last build!
First fast scroll was with Yatse and the second with MCE.

log

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2013-12-26, 19:41)xbs08 Wrote: First fast scroll was with Yatse and the second with MCE.

log

I consider your gpu_mem (of 100MB) too low. Can you try increasing to 128M (or even a little higher).
It does look like initial speed is about 18 jpegs/second, and later speed is about 21 jpegs/second, so gpu memory usage will be a little higher in MCE case.
Just tried gpu_mem 136M (CPU gets 111M) and it seems to have a positive effect during fast scrolling.
Now there's always 1 to 3-4 posters visible when fast scrolling.
Could the mce be sending input signals much to fast for the rpi to keep along?

• 138(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223