• 101(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-12-31, 13:01)-DDD- Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 12:32)tutu Wrote: openELEC has been great for me but I was thinking about starting fresh with ubuntu minimal so I can get some emulators working with my own xbmc (using ubuntu repos to pull the emulators down etc)

Do you tried the retroplayer Build? http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-re...-download/

Nope but the issue with that is that it still uses an older kernel and xbmc 12.2 so it wont have the blacklevel fixes? Also the information on it is very vague - e.g. there is no guide and certainly not a complete list of emulators that are included?

e.g. there is also nothing about setting up controllers, nothing about is a n64 emulator included, mega drive, snes, dolphin etc

(2013-12-31, 14:01)fritsch Wrote: We backported all of them into Kernel 3.12 - which is the kernel OE nightlies is running on. HD Audio fixes were also there since 3.12 or later 3.11.3. We are currently updating OE to 3.13-rc6, but some TV cards (mostly those that are not in kernel) still make problems.

Check the last libva-driver-intel commit, I backported to OE. This should make saturation and contrast correct again - hihi, but nobody complained :-)

Great stuff, but when was it broken. I have OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131127090132-r16441 on mine at the moment!
Yes, until he update it to 4.0 like described here, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1581406
| myHTPC |
I read that Intel just released some 5000 pages of haswell gpu documentation (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentati...sor-family)

Would it be fair to expect any improvements in the drivers for linux/oe as a result of the information contained in this documentation?

From reading this thread and other posts about the deinterlacing/vappi/color space value matching/etc, I'm hopeful for some fixes/improvements so we can have a full featured/full quality hw decoding.
(2013-12-31, 20:55)twochannel Wrote: I read that Intel just released some 5000 pages of haswell gpu documentation (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentati...sor-family)

Would it be fair to expect any improvements in the drivers for linux/oe as a result of the information contained in this documentation?

From reading this thread and other posts about the deinterlacing/vappi/color space value matching/etc, I'm hopeful for some fixes/improvements so we can have a full featured/full quality hw decoding.
I wouldn't expect improvements just because of this. The documentation for previous gen has been available for a while and there are still holes in the Intel driver.
(2013-12-31, 21:19)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 20:55)twochannel Wrote: I read that Intel just released some 5000 pages of haswell gpu documentation (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentati...sor-family)

I wouldn't expect improvements just because of this. The documentation for previous gen has been available for a while and there are still holes in the Intel driver.

I was under the impression that there were already intel employees involved in developing the open intel video drivers, they would have had the inside running on the intel documentation anyway. Good to see intel release the docs anyway.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-31, 21:58)nickr Wrote: I was under the impression that there were already intel employees involved in developing the open intel video drivers, they would have had the inside running on the intel documentation anyway. Good to see intel release the docs anyway.
Correct.

In case of the grey blacks, I think the documentation was wrong. Intel engineers have access also to the people who designed the hardware. Smile
Just a quick update...

If anyone else is having the same HDMI problems I'm having (when you change channel on the TV, then back to the NUC you get 'no signal'), I've found a semi workaround which is a lot easier than rebooting.

If I change to the NUC channel and get no signal, all I need to do is turn the TV off (into standby), then back on again while still on the NUC channel, and the display works perfectly Big Grin
(2013-12-31, 23:26)smonkey Wrote: Just a quick update...

If anyone else is having the same HDMI problems I'm having (when you change channel on the TV, then back to the NUC you get 'no signal'), I've found a semi workaround which is a lot easier than rebooting.

If I change to the NUC channel and get no signal, all I need to do is turn the TV off (into standby), then back on again while still on the NUC channel, and the display works perfectly Big Grin

What OS are you using?
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
(2014-01-01, 00:27)mushoss Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 23:26)smonkey Wrote: Just a quick update...

What OS are you using?

Mint, but the same thing happens even if I just go into the BIOS and change channel (which I found out after trying Ubuntu and OpenELEC)
Having a play with UEFI and I've noticed under the BIOS I have UEFI Boot ticked but under Boot Driver Order it says - No Boot Drive.

But under legacy boot my SSD is showing. Any ideas? Is it because I haven't partitioned it the EFI way yet?

EFI partition needs to be 100mb at least, but Microsoft recommend 260MB for 4k aligned drivers, is this a requirement for linux as well?

Edit: It's all moot anyway, looks like ubuntu minimal 13.10 lacks the files needed to boot into UEFI mode
are any of the fanless cases on sale in the UK or europe, probably most interested in the akasa one Big Grin
(2014-01-01, 13:38)tutu Wrote: Having a play with UEFI and I've noticed under the BIOS I have UEFI Boot ticked but under Boot Driver Order it says - No Boot Drive.

But under legacy boot my SSD is showing. Any ideas? Is it because I haven't partitioned it the EFI way yet?

EFI partition needs to be 100mb at least, but Microsoft recommend 260MB for 4k aligned drivers, is this a requirement for linux as well?

Edit: It's all moot anyway, looks like ubuntu minimal 13.10 lacks the files needed to boot into UEFI mode

UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation
A GRUB repair will allow Ubuntu to boot fine, I've had to do a repair on every Linux install I've done except Openelec so far. I documented this in this thread previously.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I couldn't get (full) ubuntu to boot using UEFI (after BIOS I get no OS found) as per the first post either. I just gave it a try (want to use minimal in the end). That was following the auto installer. The ubuntu minimal doesn't support UEFI (can't believe they don't).

I have just set it up using the ubuntu minimal using old fashioned legacy mode for now.

How do I get my remote to work in ubuntu? I mean where do I place those commands found in post 1? Edit: put it in /etc/rc.local.. hope it works!

This bit

Quote:# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-ci
(2013-12-31, 12:53)speedway Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 12:49)nickr Wrote: What is the linux driver for that bluetooth chipset - google it, find out, we are not going to do it for you.

Then ssh into openelec and see if the module is installed with openelec.

Ok, thank you for the information! I'll try it.

I tried the latest nightly build and now it works!
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7