How well does XBMC work in a virtual machine?
I'm not really keen about dedicating a box just for XBMC, but I do have a brand new PC. Is it possible to install Linux and XBMC in a virtual machine?

Has anyone ever done this and if so,

1. How well does it work?
2. Are there any special instructions that I need to follow or is it just install Linux followed by XBMC?

Thank you
Xbmc has pretty specific video requirements that aren't always easy to achieve in a VM. But why anyway? Why not just run it in the host OS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i agree with Nickr i don't see any reason why not to just run in native OS seeing as xbmc has been ported to just about everything nowadays so whether you are running windows, linux or Mac there is a version for you to just run on command
Running XBMC inside a VMware Workstation VM on Windows hosts works flawlessly, all other combinations work miserably.

And oh yeah, it should work just fine in an ESXi VM too.
(2014-01-01, 04:32)vannyi Wrote: I'm not really keen about dedicating a box just for XBMC, but I do have a brand new PC. Is it possible to install Linux and XBMC in a virtual machine?

2. Are there any special instructions that I need to follow or is it just install Linux followed by XBMC?

Thank you

That is a bizarre request. Why would you want to? What OS are you running? Are you running an OS that XBMC is not compatible with?
You do realize that XBMC is an application and NOT an actual dedicated OS right?

So to sum it up let me rephrase your question in a way that might illustrate why we are confused.

Quote:I'm not really keen about dedicating a box just for FireFox, but I do have a brand new PC. Is it possible to install Linux and FireFox in a virtual machine?

So......we are asking why do you want to do this?
(2014-01-01, 19:12)negge Wrote: Running XBMC inside a VMware Workstation VM on Windows hosts works flawlessly, all other combinations work miserably.

And oh yeah, it should work just fine in an ESXi VM too.

NO hardware video decoding is not really flawless imho
(2014-01-02, 19:27)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-01-01, 04:32)vannyi Wrote: I'm not really keen about dedicating a box just for XBMC, but I do have a brand new PC. Is it possible to install Linux and XBMC in a virtual machine?

Thank you

That is a bizarre request. Why would you want to? What OS are you running? Are you running an OS that XBMC is not compatible with?
You do realize that XBMC is an application and NOT an actual dedicated OS right?

So to sum it up let me rephrase your question in a way that might illustrate why we are confused.

Quote:I'm not really keen about dedicating a box just for FireFox, but I do have a brand new PC. Is it possible to install Linux and FireFox in a virtual machine?

So......we are asking why do you want to do this?

Hi FishOil,

I think the issue I am having is that I really don't want to spend more money on hardware when I have a brand new Windows 8 computer at home that is capable of multi-tasking.

I'd like to use the full capacity of this PC by perhaps installing Ubuntu & XBMC in a VM and then using that for XBMC. This would allow my kids to still be able to use the PC for homework or other activities while it still pushes content out to our TV?

It's just a thought to see how I can keep my costs as low as possible.
just run xbmc in windows? no need for a VM, which won't work properly.
(2014-01-02, 21:05)wsnipex Wrote: just run xbmc in windows? no need for a VM, which won't work properly.

I could do that, but suppose my son wants to use the computer for homework at the same time that my wife is watching a movie through XBMC? Perhaps I'm not understanding this well, but wouldn't that be a conflict
Like you said, your computer multitasks. I assume you have 2 screens. Son does homework on monitor. Wife watches movie on tv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-02, 22:33)nickr Wrote: Like you said, your computer multitasks. I assume you have 2 screens. Son does homework on monitor. Wife watches movie on tv.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

So I have one monitor hooked up to the computer that my son uses for homework. He uses the physical keyboard/mouse attached to the PC.
The computer is then also hooked up to the TV via an HDMI cable and this TV then acts as the second monitor.

How then does my wife control XBMC from the sofa while my son is using the computer at the same time? If I added a second keyboard, wouldn't they conflict? The PC I'm using does not have an IR port.

thx
How would a vm fix this?
If you have 2 monitors / screens, is it not possible that HE use the VM instead?
Also to avoid any conflicts you'd either need to separate/filter your USB connections or as suggested on your other thread simply utilizing the native TCP/IP functionality and the ample available remotes.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Really this isn't xbmc's use case at all. Get a htpc, they are cheap enough. Rpi particularly.
@wsnipex: you may be right, my computer is too fast for me to notice (I've just done some testing in a VM).

@vannyj: I agree with nickr, just get a separate computer. I had a friend who shared his desktop as a HTPC and while it worked it was noisy and video started lagging anytime you opened a new tab in Chrome (granted his machine was quite old) so it's not an ideal solution. Plus you're stuck with Windows in that case, and when someone starts a movie in XBMC and the refresh rate changes the computer display will blank out for a few seconds too, which can be annoying.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How well does XBMC work in a virtual machine?0