• 17(current)
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft
If you haven't already you should try some of the trailer add-ons on your kids. They can keep my son amused for ages.
(2013-10-15, 17:19)trogggy Wrote: If you haven't already you should try some of the trailer add-ons on your kids. They can keep my son amused for ages.

The "DVD Extras" add on is what i'm currently using. Works well enough for my purposes, and this way somewhat limits the number of concurrent new movie requests, as they are choosing from what's already ripped rather than the whole wide world. I expect that will end quickly if/when a Netflix add-on works on the raspbmc build.

--- Rakasa
Please, let's keep this thread on-topic. Thanks.
Something I have wondered... Why are "pirate" site plugins not discussed but Sportsdevil is allowed? Just curious.
(2013-11-25, 16:54)locoguano Wrote: Something I have wondered... Why are "pirate" site plugins not discussed but Sportsdevil is allowed? Just curious.

I've never used Sportsdevil, but if it's also primarily pirated content then it will also get the boot.
Why are Torrents addons allowed?
Torrents can be used for downloading legal material.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-04, 23:03)FAMMAR Wrote: Why are Torrents addons allowed?

Discussing BitTorrent is okay, because that's a protocol.

Discussing which BitTorrent sites to go to, or an add-on that contains Torrent search sites that are explicitly for pirated content, is not allowed.

Lets say 1Channel was remade and by default, it only contained various technical parts to show metadata and list files, etc, but it required the user to add a second add-on or list of sites that pointed to the pirated content. That first part, without the links/list, would be allowed. Of course, it would be silly to distribute it like that, because there wouldn't be any real gain to splitting it like that, but you get the idea.
(2012-11-26, 16:22)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-11-26, 16:02)leetut Wrote: so that explains why my thread titled:
1channel putlocker/sockshare issues was immediately dumped into the garbage bin by "martijn"
who then decided to ignore my pm asking for an explanation why, (because im beneath him? maybe?)
so if id titled it "putlocker/sockshare" issues would it have been allowed?

when i first came to xbmc (2 years ago!!!!) it was for free skytv
personally i "actually thought the that these were core features of XBMC"
before i even knew what 1ch or icefilms or navi-x was (i learned about all of those here!)
a quick look on ebay-UK for appletv2 and almost every picture says "XBMC FREE SKYTV"
yet talk of that is still a daily occurrence here
is that legal? im just asking, i honestly dont know

and..
"We're trying to protect the XBMC project, and that's all."
if 1ch and ice films and the other "questionable" addons we still allow disappeared
pretty sure the XBMC project would be dead pretty quickly
the 2 are totally connected in my eyes, and the eyes of every one on ebay selling appletv2's
things like youtube bbciplayer ect are all now pretty much standard on smart tv's or freeview / youview type boxes
ive used a humax hdr fox t2 for the past few years for that kind of thing

not complaining just sharing a view
you all do a great job here
I ignore PM in general because if you have read the rules (which you obviously didn't) it states that you DO NOT pm devs!!!!!

If you are that short minded that you think XBMC thanks it's existence to some plugins you are totally of this world.
The vast majority don't even use those plugins (and you don't have to argue about that because it won't matter)

Besides look at the plugin repo which is filled with legal plugin that can be used for watching videos.

While I fully understand xbmcs stance on piracy and I happen to agree with them on remaining neutral, I think the rule of not pm'ing devs is very gray. If you are acting as a moderator, then you need to be prepared to answer questions on why you moderated something. That is 2 completely different rolls, i.e. moderator/dev.
Doomsday, this is a fair point. One of the great internal debates is always whether to keep devs as mods, both because devs don't always make the best user-oriented support staff, and because they frankly have a lot on their plate already.

The problem is that we have a really hard time keeping pure forum support mods. They either end up doing more than moderating or they quit, because very little is less rewarding than acting as a moderator on the XBMC support forum. No offense to anyone reading this, but a great deal of moderation on this forum consists of people who are furious at the software for not working the way they expect, who then lash out at whichever team member/moderator that tries to answer the question first. It's an ugly, ugly jobs most of the time. And so we are constantly forced to fall back on people who maybe aren't perfectly suited for moderating work.
(2014-01-06, 05:46)natethomas Wrote: Doomsday, this is a fair point. One of the great internal debates is always whether to keep devs as mods, both because devs don't always make the best user-oriented support staff, and because they frankly have a lot on their plate already.

The problem is that we have a really hard time keeping pure forum support mods. They either end up doing more than moderating or they quit, because very little is less rewarding than acting as a moderator on the XBMC support forum. No offense to anyone reading this, but a great deal of moderation on this forum consists of people who are furious at the software for not working the way they expect, who then lash out at whichever team member/moderator that tries to answer the question first. It's an ugly, ugly jobs most of the time. And so we are constantly forced to fall back on people who maybe aren't perfectly suited for moderating work.

Oh I fully understand the problems you guys face on a support forum, it is a thankless and brutal job, And having to throw the anti-piracy in along with that makes it much harder, Kudos to all that do it, thats for sure.
It's awesome that we're having this conversation here, since as I was typing my post a user in another thread literally just told me to grow up and stop whining for telling him to ask for hardware support from the company who sells the hardware. I love silly coincidences.
This is a generalisation from PMs i got:

Quote:i bought device X from obscure supplier Y which has some random XBMC build full of piracy and other junk and your support is crap. give me my money back NOW

these are also posted on every social media like Facebook and so on because people bought something which doesn't work and blame us and start flaming here.

That's the reason i simply don't want PM enabled.

and here's the thread NateThomas was talking about
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=181693
here's another fun example http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1591485
Users like this sadly make the tone although they are luckily by far only a few of them but they will cause devs/moderators to care less.

so back to the piracy stance.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
That attitude sucks. Glad you guys have the fortitude to stick with it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Guys can we tell members to add the super repo repositories and addons in order to get the latest versions of popular addons?

Some people are having issues with the AJ addons which I think is due to them using old addons.

I wanted to ask beforehand as I don't want to get banned unnecessarily.

Thanks guys.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft2