Pivos xios help please
(2014-01-04, 19:11)davilla Wrote:
(2014-01-04, 17:23)tekno Wrote: I read elsewhere that pivos will not be supported platform for Gotham. Is this true?

You read wrong Smile

That seems quite smug considering.....
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...ham#p37393

You may want to consider to not be negative towards users, whether delivered with an emoticon or not
Again, for Pivos specific support, got to http://www.pivosforums.com .
(2014-01-06, 06:00)tekno Wrote: That seems quite smug considering.....
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...ham#p37393

I don't see what your fears are.

Pivos will move on to new products, that's what healthy companies do. The xios line shows its age, and it's time for them to move on.

Now, they have merged to main XBMC eveything needed to run the latest XBMC on the M1 and M3, both on Android and Linux, until the end of days.
Nearly anyone with a bare minimal linux knowledge can build a xios linux firmware.

Ask Boxee users if that's not alright...
Here are the xbmc forums I am looking for info on "officially supported" (and printed on the box) xbmc, but current and stable. Please do not make me the flame of the week for asking here as the pivos forums seem quite useless for anything stable and current. The last "official releases there were 12.0. In a case like that why does xbmc allow the use of their logo?

Also I am not looking to buy built in obsolescence, nor would anyone want that.
(2014-01-06, 14:44)tekno Wrote: Here are the xbmc forums I am looking for info on "officially supported" (and printed on the box) xbmc
If you understood that by "XBMC officially supports Pivos", you were mistaken. XBMC does not endorse any hardware vendor.
It means "Pivos officially supports XBMC". See the difference?

(2014-01-06, 14:44)tekno Wrote: Also I am not looking to buy built in obsolescence, nor would anyone want that.
Man, if you despise obsolescence (programmed or not), don't buy tech, read books Wink

Do you actually have an issue with the Pivos official XBMC builds?
If not, and If you only fear to not get the latest shiny stuff, then you are part of the obsolescence problem...
One question and yes it is serious....

Why is XBMC allowing the use of the logo on the Pivos Xios DS Box if no current XBMC build is available? That is the stuff that class action litigation is made of and xbmc.org probably has no interest in being a party to that!
You're high, aren't you?

Does buying a laptop with a Windows logo implies it will run every flavor of Windows till the end of days? No

Do you sue Microsoft because your laptop is not to your liking and there is a Windows sticker? No

Will you sue Microsoft because 8.1 doesn't work on your 2 year old laptop? No

When you're buying a product, the only guarantee you have is that Il will work according to specification for the time of the warranty period.
(2014-01-09, 08:10)tekno Wrote: One question and yes it is serious....

Why is XBMC allowing the use of the logo on the Pivos Xios DS Box if no current XBMC build is available? That is the stuff that class action litigation is made of and xbmc.org probably has no interest in being a party to that!

As a Mac user I can't tell you how many retail box products I've bought over the years that said "Mac support" and either had crappy Mac support, outdated software, or dropped Mac support soon afterwards. A logo on a box means nothing. (yes, really, they used to sell software in boxes in stores.)

The logo on the Pivos box, which I'm looking at right now, only means that XBMC runs on the Pivos XIOS. No where does it say that Pivos will provide a copy of XBMC themselves, or that it will run every possible version out there, or how long they will support it, but simply that XBMC can run on that box. Even if you couldn't install v12.3 in any shape or form, just the fact that the Pivos can run some version of XBMC makes the box's statement factual.

Even with an AMLogic-enabled v12.3*, there are still a few things that you can't do on XBMC for Android, but are possible for XBMC for Windows. XBMC is not 100% completely and totally identical across the main desktop platforms (though we do try to keep them all the same). Why aren't you complaining about that? Intel and Zotac, who are much bigger than Pivos, have used our logo too.

*(Anyone can build an amlogic-enabled v12.3. Anyone. The "magic" is in the code, and once there, there isn't anything that Pivos could do in the binary that someone else can't. That's how open source code works. Why they haven't done it themselves? I don't know, but they're not blocking anyone from it.)

What you should be asking is not "why isn't Pivos making amlogic-enabled v12 builds", but rather, "why isn't Team XBMC making amlogic-enabled v12 builds"*. You keep trying to blame Pivos, and really, it was never their problem to begin with. They were already selling the Pivos XIOS before XBMC was even ported to Android. XBMC for Android in v12 was barely considered a finished product. We still tell people that it's "in development", and that they shouldn't really expect it to be fleshed out till at least v13 final. The fact that v12 ran really well on the XIOS, as good as it does on most other platforms, was a bonus.

*(The answer is that it would be a pain in the ass, due to the nature of amlogic hardware, and that it was better in the long run to focus on long term solutions rather than manually make a ton of different AMLogic builds. I actually asked this question myself and was rightfully put in my place for not knowing what I was talking about.)

Skipping a minor bugfix release does not entitle you to anything. You get no lawsuit, you get no refund, you get no compensation. Instead, you get XBMC v13 in a few months (maybe less) which is a massive improvement. They are a small company with limited resources, and they made the right call.

If you wanted to complain about them no longer supporting a Linux install then you might have a better argument, except the retail box for the Pivos XIOS says nothing about Linux.
If I am high, you are higher than me it seems.. .

I never implied that AT ALL ongoing compatibility, but Xios is shipping today with XBMC logos. If we use your example and win 8 had just come out surely we may get a win 7 preinstalled, while a month from now we may get a coupon upgrade or something. . There is no presumption for future releases , I am talking about current versions and what is happening NOW! Please refrain from clouding my point . I would assume that your defense of Pivos indicates you are one of the devs that benefits from Pivos. There is no stable current release of xbmc 12.3 for Pivos Xios with hardware acceleration. I state here what pivos does not want buyers to know..

My xios Purchase was December 2013 and nothing indicated to me that xbmc 12.0 was the latest "official version", until AFTER the purchase. Personally I do not like companies that mislead, and therefore we have resources for resolutions like class action litigation, which I believe to be just under the circumstances as well as others who I have communicated with and seen postings of. Anyone who raises the issue on the Pivos forums is usually banned.

More proof of Pivos mistruths... Look at the Netflix logo appearing twice on the xios DS page at Pivos. When you look at the Pivos forums you quickly learn that the netflix app is incompatible with the Pivos Xios DS, but clearly the Netflix logo appears twice on that page. Pivos is a group of LIARS!

Many years ago I was part of a Class action settlement by Apple because the CPU in my shiny new Perfoma 475 was an LC040 and Not a true 040 . None of the advertising nor promotional materials made a distinction between the 040 or lc040, they Just said 040. The LC040 lacked an intergrated math coprocessor. Some time later, Apple was forced to settle and shipped replacement CPUs for the machines. It was a long time later and the machine was almost obsolete by then however it came at a cost to Apple. It cost Apple MILLIONS. For many companies or maybe even xbmc.org there is no Million dollar legal department and even having to see a legal process through could create financial ruin, even with a judgement in favor of the company

I truly believe that xbmc.org and the devs that work so hard need to protect themselves from that kind of litigation by protecting their logo and use thereof , especially with manufacturers such as xios. You can bet that Dell and Gateway do not use the Windows logo, nor Apple Logo without authorization.
We are defending pivos for what they have given us which is basically the android port of XBMC. Most of us (incl. koying) are not benefitting in any other way from pivos. They are a good example how a commercial company can work together with open source projects and thats why we are defending them. While your points might be valid from an enduser perspective - this is nothing we really care (you should understand that - if we start caring about that - the next thing will be synology or zotac or whoever else is selling xbmc boxes - then noone of us can write code anymore but only compiles special crafted versions of xbmc so the end users of commercial companies are happy - NO WAY!).

If you have such problems with pivos go to them and not to us - i bet they take your box back if you ask in a sane tone.

We are the open source XBMC providing the software. Pivos is commercial. While your whole discussion is valid for sure - its brought to the wrong place and discussed with the wrong people (us open source developers).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Can any version of XBMC for Android be run on Pivos - yes
Can AMLogic hardware acceleration be enabled on any version of XBMC v12 & v13 - yes

Sorry but don't see the problem,
tekno, the bottom-line is that you have an issue with Pivos regarding their commercial practices. If you bought yours in Dec 2013, I assume you can get a refund easily.

Nobody gets why you continue hammering us, beside this logo thing which is irrelevant.
XBMC works on Pivos, point. Even if it didn't, we wouldn't have any liability towards you.

So please, again, go complaining @ Pivos about your commercial issue, and only post here if you have an actual technical issue with one of our builds.
(2014-01-09, 10:39)tekno Wrote: I would assume that your defense of Pivos indicates you are one of the devs that benefits from Pivos.

What are you, 12?

I'm defending them because you're spouting bullshit, and they're a good company, but I keep saying to people that the XIOS is not the best device to run XBMC on today. I actually discourage people from buying the XIOS, and have been for a few months, because for around the same money you can get better devices. It's been out for over a year and a half, and Pivos themselves have told their users that they have new hardware coming out soon. You bought one in December? What the heck were you thinking? Last year in December it was a good deal if you bought it for $80, and an entire year has gone by in the ARM/Android box world.

Quote:More proof of Pivos mistruths... Look at the Netflix logo appearing twice on the xios DS page at Pivos. When you look at the Pivos forums you quickly learn that the netflix app is incompatible with the Pivos Xios DS, but clearly the Netflix logo appears twice on that page. Pivos is a group of LIARS!

Bullshit. I've been watching Netflix on my Pivos XIOS just last week using the Android ICS FW that they provided, no special tweaking or anything like that. There was some issues about a year ago, but those were long since fixed and I don't believe they actually prevented Netflix from working.

Quote:I truly believe that xbmc.org and the devs that work so hard need to protect themselves from that kind of litigation by protecting their logo and use thereof , especially with manufacturers such as xios. You can bet that Dell and Gateway do not use the Windows logo, nor Apple Logo without authorization.

Did Pivos ask us to use the logo on their box? Nope. Do we care? Not really. Is it an endorsement from us? Hell no. Anyone can slap a logo on a box. We do not have the legal resources or the legal ground to do anything about it. We can't even trademark "XBMC" in the US because it's too close to the old "xbox" name. In case you haven't noticed, there are tons of groups abusing our name and logos, selling boxes, and with zero support.

If you got "suckered" (it's still not a bad box) into buying a Pivos XIOS because you thought WE endorsed it, that's your stupidity, not our liability.
(2014-01-09, 11:41)jjd-uk Wrote: Can any version of XBMC for Android be run on Pivos - yes
Can AMLogic hardware acceleration be enabled on any version of XBMC v12 & v13 - yes

Sorry but don't see the problem,

I have yet to see hardware accelerated 12.1 , 12.2 or 12.3 in an official Pivos release nor any working release, ie one that does not have a boatload of other issues.

Maybe it can be activated but if the devs and Pivos havent done it it must be a bit challenging for end users . Where is the how to to activate hardwware acceleration on the xbmc official 12.3 for android for Pivos or any other build?

Gotham 13 uses the acceleration yes but here again it is not stable enough or it would not be considered alpha or beta

Ned Scott, no I am probably older than you it is you that resorts to childish name calling in every reply

Netflix is full of problems from what I read on the Pivos forums you only need to search there

As for Pivos returning my money that will cost me as much in the end as the pivos, as I paid international shipping and importation already. Return shipping alone is more than half the cost of the unit. Not everyone has good local access to these units

et al;

XBMC wiki ststes "Pivos was the original target platform" this changed only recently from "Pivos is the original target platform" this is not an inconsequential channge and as I pointed out a faitly recent change

I also disagree with any form where moderators/devs team up on poster as if the solution is so easy without providing any info as to how. The purpose of this forum is to arrive at sol,utiions not shift the burden. My relationship with xbmc is much loinger than my relationship with Pivos, and truly hoped to find answers here . It is a known fact that pivos has paid some xbmc devs here, and will probably continue to do so for their upcoming branch tofu which is the real reason we will not get 12.2 or 12.3

I leave this thread after having made my point. Whether you agree or disagree is on you
(2014-01-09, 17:57)tekno Wrote: It is a known fact that pivos has paid some xbmc devs here, and will probably continue to do so for their upcoming branch tofu which is the real reason we will not get 12.2 or 12.3
Just making this one straight.

It's not XBMC devs being paid by Pivos, it's Pivos employees contributing to XBMC.
And yeah, guess what, they are working on Tofu for their employer. BTW, Tofu is not a branch, it's a pure Pivos fork of XBMC we have no involvement in.

Once again, it's out of our hands.

Still waiting to hear what are the issues you have with the XBMC builds provided by Pivos or us btw.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pivos xios help please0