• 90(current)
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
Quick question, is there a way to set up the playercorefactory.xml file to play DVDs with XMBC's integrated player, and play blu rays with an external player?
Is it possible to set rules based on video frame rate? Something like default player is MPC-HC, 59.94 fps uses MPC-BE, ect. The reason is that madVR doesn't work well with my card with 30+ fps content, but works fine in EVR. I'd like to use madVR but I'm not going to change the renderer every time I play a video.
(2014-01-16, 08:39)SDub Wrote: Quick question, is there a way to set up the playercorefactory.xml file to play DVDs with XMBC's integrated player, and play blu rays with an external player?

See examples here: XBMC external player wiki
(2014-01-16, 10:22)MadScientist Wrote:
(2014-01-16, 08:39)SDub Wrote: Quick question, is there a way to set up the playercorefactory.xml file to play DVDs with XMBC's integrated player, and play blu rays with an external player?

See examples here: XBMC external player wiki

Yeah, I did read that and followed it as best as I could, but everything I play, plays PowerDVD 13. If ya don't mind, check out my rules:

Quote:<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\PlayDisc.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>True</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
</player>
<player name="DVDPlayer" audio="true" video="true" />
</players>

<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="bd|ifo" player="PowerDVD"/>
<rule dvd="true" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule filetypes="mkv|avi|mp4" player="DVDPlayer" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
I'm not the best person to advise on this as I only started playing with external player files a week ago. I'm not familiar with the "bd|ifo" term - in your case it seems to catch all file types. You could try a nested rule structure as below in which case the inner rules should be looked at first. Alternatively, have alook at bluray's other external player thread and the rule structure used there.

Quote:<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="bd|ifo" player="PowerDVD"/>
<rule dvd="true" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule filetypes="mkv|avi|mp4" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Assuming you are talking about playing discs from the actual optical drive (not rips) using the "Play Disc" option, then try the following, it should work correctly -

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\PlayDisc.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>True</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
</player>
</players>

<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="bd" player="PowerDVD"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

(2014-01-16, 09:40)StinDaWg Wrote: Is it possible to set rules based on video frame rate? Something like default player is MPC-HC, 59.94 fps uses MPC-BE, ect. The reason is that madVR doesn't work well with my card with 30+ fps content, but works fine in EVR. I'd like to use madVR but I'm not going to change the renderer every time I play a video.

I don't know if this option is available, I'm pretty sure a frame rate rule doesn't exist ( I could be wrong though)
@acejh1987

That's exactly what I had before, except instead of just using the "bd" filetype, I use the bd and ifo. For some reason though, all DVDs and blu rays play with power dvd.
(2014-01-18, 04:48)SDub Wrote: @acejh1987

That's exactly what I had before, except instead of just using the "bd" filetype, I use the bd and ifo. For some reason though, all DVDs and blu rays play with power dvd.

IFO is a file format for DVD's, with that part removed only Blu-ray Discs should play with PowerDVD.
Try:
Code:
<rule bd="true" player="PowerDVD"/>

Wink
I'm cleaning up the wiki for external player a bit. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players
Though I've a bit a trouble with these two sections.

Quote:A <rules/> node contains a set of rules. An (optional) action attribute can have a value of prepend, append or overwrite which specifies whether the rules should be prepended, appended (the default if no action is specified) or replace all existing rules. Appended rules will take precedence over default players (i.e. DVDPlayer for video and PAPlayer for audio) but not over XBMCs builtin rules.
Maybe append and prepend is obvious to programmers or something, I don't quite get it. Also, when would you use overwrite instead of prepend? If someone could add a couple sentences explaining it more it'd be great.

Quote:Order of <rule/>s is significant, the first match defines the player so order them from more-to-less specific.
An example or some clarification for this?

Quote:<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
It seems it's no difference if you use true or false for this?
Hi,

I'm in need of some help. I need to launch an external player like MPC-BE for all movies with x265 codec. But use the internal player for everything else. So far I have this and it doesn't work. It ends up using the internal player as default player for ALL movies (which I want)...except it will only play the x265 movie IF I use the context menu and "Play using..." MPC-HC. Why does it not automatically know to play the x265 movie based on my rule below?

My example movie is named "bluray.x265.Test_movie.mkv"

Code:
<playercorefactory>

<players>
   <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv|ts|avi|mp4|m2ts" player="dvdplayer"/>
   <rule filename=".*x265*" player="MPC-HC"/>  
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I would like to manually choose the player by a keystroke. Is this possible?

I have several file handlers that serve different purposes (including batch files that do a variety of tasks).

I am trying to migrate to xbmc from myHTPC. myHTPC enabled me to specify what is launched when keys are pressed
- eg when delete is pressed, a batch file is launched which moves the video file and any associated files to a delete staging folder and then if the video folder is empty it removes the folder also.
- eg when the "3" key is pressed it moves the video file and associated files into a folder of videos that my wife and I would both like to watch
- eg when 9 key is pressed mplayer is launched
Hi guys I am new to this and I cant get my external player to work at all. Maybe someone has an idea what Im doing wrong.

I want to use Splash Pro Ex as my external player. I got it to show up in XBMC now as my default but when even it goes to start it just fails. I cant get it to play anything.

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="Splash PRO EX" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Mirillis\SplashProEx.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="Splash Pro Ex">
<rule dvd="true" player="Splash Pro Ex"/>
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Can someone give me a hand. Thanks a lot
Hi guys,

I've been using the external player function for a while now, I play movies with MPC-HC (to be able to use MadVR) and tv series with XBMC (to be more flexible). Until now I could just use resolution filters, as my tv series were mostly 720p and movies 1080p, but I decided to switch to 720p for movies as well, due to storage limitations. However, the external player rules are pretty limited and I don't have a working rule yet to make this work.

Movie filenames are structered like this: 'Movie.Year.Resolution.Source.VCodec.ACodec" and tv series like this: "TVSerie.SXXEXX.Resolution.source.VCodec.ACodec". So far I though of using "<rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*19.*|.*20.*" player="MPC-HC"/>", this rule is supposed to look for year of the movie (as all filenames have years in them between 1900-2014, and tv series usually don't), but tv series start playing in MPC-HC as well. Is this rule correct, if not how can I fix it?

Thanks
I'm new to this forum and have run into a small problem getting J River Media Center to work as an external player when using the QobuzXBMC add-on for the Qobuz music streaming service.

It almost works properly, the only problem is that it will only play one track from a playlist at a time. As soon as a track starts to play I get the message "XBMC External Player Active Click OK when playback has ended"

I have to wait until each track has played then click OK and the next track immediately starts to play. Or I click OK if I want to skip straight to the next track in the middle of the track that's playing.

What I want is for an entire playlist or album to continue playing until I tell it to stop. While a track is playing I get no progress indication in XBMC; but that doesn't bother me as I can see the progress in J River MC.

I just want continuous playback of the currently queued Qobuz album or playlist.

My playercorefactory file is as follows:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="Media Center 19" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
<filename>C:\windows\system32\mc19.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<warpcursor>false</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

I've also set Media Center 19 as the default player in advanced settings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

geoff
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread11