• 169(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
SD OpenELEC (Milhouse) Version: devel-20140123112050-r17126-gceb58b6

This morning I switch on Pi/AVR and no audio at all (PCM, HD, MCH)
I had something similar yesterday but was not sure.
I change the system/video resolution from 720 to 1050 (monitor)
==> Audio is back
I change back the system/video resolution from 1050 to 720, audio still play.

But, make it all clear
- Added the lines in config.txt
- Setup channel : 2.0
- There is no passthrough setup

==> For me multichannel files have very low level, only stereo and lot of short drops (2-3 per second)
Tested with the 3 players, AVR don't see DD, DTS nor multichannel.

BTW, how could we change the passthrough setup if we don't have a AVR capable?
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
(2014-01-24, 09:19)MilhouseVH Wrote: No. See note #2 here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1605602

Maybe I should include that as boiler plate for future releases.

I got confused because I didn't added anything to as.xml but opening Context Menu on a MP4(X.264/AAC-LC) file shows DVDPlayer as default player.
Later I added <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer> to get back to omxplayer as default player.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-01-24, 11:30)xbs08 Wrote: I got confused because I didn't added anything to as.xml but opening Context Menu on a MP4(X.264/AAC-LC) file shows DVDPlayer as default player.
Later I added <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer> to get back to omxplayer as default player.

Hmmm... ack... my fault!. I made a change to the system default advancedsettings.xml and forgot to revert it. So yes, currently the system default player *is* dvdplayer but it should still be omxplayer - the default should only be dvdplayer in your own local advancedsettings.xml. Really sorry, I'll get a new build up ASAP with omxplayer back as the default. Thanks for bringing it up!
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0124 (Obsolete)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.0 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 24 10:57:21 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jan 10 2014 16:54:51
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version efa116b5c8859c352322cb27e13baccbea583ef7 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140124105626-r17131-g0f6c504

Based on tip of XBMC master (6d34f22, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (0f6c504, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 7a06eb0 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes PR3875: Allowing https in HLS variant selection
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
Notes:
  1. Restores omxplayer as the default player/dvdplayer. Follow instructions below if you want to help test dvdplayer as the default player
  2. Now possible to resume when using the "Play Using..." context menu if there is a resume point - after selecting player you should get the option to Resume or Start from beginning

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. For passthrough you also need (in config.txt):
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    And make sure speaker layout is set to 2.0. You will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS (see here for details).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-24, 12:06)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-01-24, 11:30)xbs08 Wrote: I got confused because I didn't added anything to as.xml but opening Context Menu on a MP4(X.264/AAC-LC) file shows DVDPlayer as default player.

Hmmm... ack... my fault!. I made a change to the system default advancedsettings.xml and forgot to revert it. So yes, currently the system default player *is* dvdplayer but it should still be omxplayer - the default should only be dvdplayer in your own local advancedsettings.xml. Really sorry, I'll get a new build up ASAP with omxplayer back as the default. Thanks for bringing it up!
Aha! Nobody listens to me! http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1608640
The quickest way to be sure if you are running omxplayer or dvdplater is to bring up codec info:
dvdplayer has this line:
Code:
ad:xx, a/v:xx, dpcu:xx% acpu:xx% vcpu:xx%
omxplayer has this line
Code:
ad:xx, a/v:xx, dpcu:xx% acpu:xx% vcpu:xx% af:xx vf:5xx amp:xx
just for clearance: the "dvdplayer" isn't just for DVD playback but for all types of video files, right? because the name is a bit confusing imo.
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
DVDPlayer

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-01-24, 15:42)freem@n Wrote: just for clearance: the "dvdplayer" isn't just for DVD playback but for all types of video files, right? because the name is a bit confusing imo.

dvdplayer is the default media player used for video playback on (almost) all other xbmc platforms.
While original designed for dvd playback, it has been extended to handle all video files.

omxplayer is a Pi specific replacement of dvdplayer that pushes much of the logic of dvdplayer to the GPU.
omxcodec is a Pi specific hardware accelerated video decoder that plugs into dvdplayer.
thanks for the explanation Smile are there any advantages of using dvdplayer instead of the default (just on the raspi) omxplayer? like for instance less resources or something?
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
(2014-01-24, 15:30)allan87 Wrote: Aha! Nobody listens to me! http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1608640

Yep yep... sorry 'bout that, had totally slipped my mind I'd made that change - memory of a goldfish... Blush

New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0124b (obsolete)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.0 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 24 10:57:21 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jan 10 2014 16:54:51
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version efa116b5c8859c352322cb27e13baccbea583ef7 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140124144843-r17131-g0f6c504

Based on tip of XBMC master (6d34f22, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (0f6c504, changelog) with the following modification s:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 7a06eb0 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes PR4083: fix HLS variant selection
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
Notes:
  1. Updated with revised fix for HLS streams. @ProsjektX - can you try testing again and update here, or on github. Thanks

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. For passthrough you also need (in config.txt):
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    And make sure speaker layout is set to 2.0. You will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS (see here for details).
OpenELEC (Milhouse) Version: devel-20140124105626-r17131-g0f6c504

==> For me multichannel files have very low level, only stereo and lot of short drops (2-3 per second)
Tested with the 3 players, AVR doesn't see DD, DTS nor multichannel.

Going to install the new build
(2014-01-24, 16:03)freem@n Wrote: thanks for the explanation Smile are there any advantages of using dvdplayer instead of the default (just on the raspi) omxplayer? like for instance less resources or something?

dvdplayer on Pi is very experimental, so it's recommended for people who want to help testing as in the future it may be used as the default player in more situations.

The clear benefit is omxplayer has no support for DVD menus. dvdplayer does a much better job (although there are still some issues currently).

It is possible dvdplayer (as it's more widely used and tested and supported by more devs) will behave better in some situations (e.g. live tv, dvds, streaming plugins).
It also does things differently (like audio amplification) which may or may not be preferable.

It could be better or worse with issues like image quality, audio sync, buffering, stabilty, cpu uage, memory usage.

But, that's why it's out for testing in a *test* build. If you just want trouble free video playback and are happy with current behaviour then ignore dvdplayer (and avoid these bleeding edge builds).
If you want to help make xbmc on Pi better, then please test. Ideally do comparative tests running omxplayer and dvdplayer on the same file and watch carefully,
and explain the differenced you can see or measure (e.g. memory cpu usage with bcm_stat.sh).

IMO:
dvdplayer is a little quicker to start and seek (doesn't require the gpu fifo to be filled). Rewind/ff should be more stable.
Better dvd menu support. Should avoid some issues with live tv with errrors causing stalls and sync issues.

omxplayer uses less CPU and (gpu) memory. It is better with high bitrate 1080p. It has theoretically better image quality (resizing).
Handles short period of arm being busy better.

I would guess that video smoothness (getting exactly one frame per vsync) probably varies with content.
omxplayer is theoretically better (being able to control hdmi clock), but dvdplayer may handle problematic files better (e.g. dodgy timestamps).
OpenELEC (Milhouse) Version: devel-20140124144843-r17131-g0f6c504

==> For me multichannel files have very low level, only stereo
Tested with the 3 players, AVR doesn't display DD, DTS nor multichannel but only "direct" (stereo).
(2014-01-24, 18:39)MrNice Wrote: OpenELEC (Milhouse) Version: devel-20140124144843-r17131-g0f6c504

==> For me multichannel files have very low level, only stereo
Tested with the 3 players, AVR doesn't display DD, DTS nor multichannel but only "direct" (stereo).
MrNice, looking through the posts, I don't believe you have enabled passthrough. In Gotham, you have to change the Settings view from Standard to either Advanced or Expert in order to see the passthrough option. You can choose the appropriate view in Settings->System.
  • 169(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223