Req XBMC rPi - Change output audio source
Music 
Hi

I am using XBMC with a Raspberry Pi. Everything is running really good, but since the sound quality from the analoge audio output is so poor, i am using a DAC. Unfortunately i cannot seem to use the DAC audio source in XBMC.

Will there be any support for choosing the audio source in XBMC in the future?

Phillez
How does the DAC connect to the Pi?
The DAC is connected through the I2S pins.
I am using the HifiBerry DAC

I'm running the newest kernel and the DAC uses following modules:
snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac
That will likely need to be supported by the OS itself, so it's up to the various distros to add it (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, XBian, etc).
@ned Scott

I don't think this is enough, alsa support needed to be add to XBMC.
See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174502
Yes, if just ALSA was supported it woundt be a problem. Hopefully this will be possible in the near future, since the analog output on the Pi sucks.
Alsa is now supported in the Gotham nightly builds of openelec http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/?dir=MilhouseVH/
So, does this mean that the Hifiberry should work now? I downloaded the newest Milhouse build from today put the HIfiberry on the PI but there was no sound. I changed die Audio Output from HDMI to Analog. Do i have to enable Modules?(http://www.hifiberry.com/products/dac/hi...-software/) - I think i can't because of the Read Only Folder. Looking forward to see finally working.
(2014-01-28, 23:01)mildenhall Wrote: Alsa is now supported in the Gotham nightly builds of openelec http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/?dir=MilhouseVH/

How did you got to this conclusion ?
Don't know - i don't have the technical background to know what's needed that it's working. I only thought if ALSA is working that the Hifiberry is working too, but now i know that it isn't.
(2014-01-30, 17:55)Bullsei Wrote: Don't know - i don't have the technical background to know what's needed that it's working. I only thought if ALSA is working that the Hifiberry is working too, but now i know that it isn't.

Where did you seen that the HifiBerry works with XBMC ?
Maybe in Raspbmc which prone to include unstable and unmature patches, but latest commit of @stupid-boy to his OMX_ALSA branch is a few months old so maybe this won't applied as it is due to the new ActiveAE sink.
The newclock3 test branch does have alsa enabled, but also requires it to be enabled in the kernel.
Openelec doesn't do this currently. I did make a test openelec build with alsa support in kernel enabled, but haven't tested it yet. I'll try and test it at weekend.

This only helps users of ActiveAE Pi sink, i.e. paplayer and dvdplayer.

omxplayer will only get alsa support with @stupid-boy's branch, which is currently unstable (hangs on seeks).

It's possible that dvdplayer on Pi will become usable enough that omxplayer isn't needed for most (it will likely always be needed for raw Blu-Ray level video),
but we're not there yet.

Don't buy any alsa audio device for the Pi and expect it to work now.
There will be solutions for alsa devices with xbmc at some point in the future.
Thanks popcornmix for clarifying this.
Alsa support on XBMC for the RPi would make this platform even more amazing than it is.
Alsa is enabled on the latest MilhouseVH's OpenELEC Build.
USB sound works, well sort of, I might need to configure a .asoundrc as now to the output added hiss and clicks.

@Bullse & @Phillez please post how well the HifiBerry works for you with OpenELEC.
i installed the newest milhouse build of Openelec(todays build) but the Hifiberry is not working, it seems like the Hifiberry modules werent enabled.
Lsmod gives me nothing
aplay -l gives me the bcm2835 ALSA card, which i can select in XBMC - Nothing about Hifiberry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC rPi - Change output audio source1