Android SMB seems to time out on OUYA
SMB seems to time out after some time or some activity on my OUYA. I can access all the files and folders until at some point I can't anymore. My scraping stops and it's over, I need to restart my server computer in order to get it working again (until it stops warking).

I have another SBMC connected to the same server and it never times out. It is also connected via SMB.

Do you know what can cause that? I have the problem on both latest Gotham release and OUYA store version...

When I go in SMB/WORKGROUP, I see two computers (living room xbmc laptop and the server). I can access the living room computer but not the server, it says "Connection timed out".

Do you have an idea?

Thanks
Here is some logs, although I'm not sure they can help a lot ...

Code:
ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER-NAME/Movies'
                                            unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER-NAME/Movies

I know this information is correct, because I can initially access it when I reboot the server... And I have no problem with my other Win7 PC using the same shares
After some intensive digging, I found out it's caused by a service option in Windows 7. Everytime OUYA failed to connect, there was an error 2017 logged in the Windows Journal.

Found this to fix it : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232271

Specifically
Quote:When you configure one of the four options for the Server service, the information is saved to the following two registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\size
Your choices for this registry key are 1,2 and 3.
1 = Minimize Memory Used
2 = Balance
3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize Throughput for Network Applications
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

Your choices for this registry key are 0 and 1.
1 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing
0 = Maximize Throughput for Network Applications

So, make sure the "size" key is set to 3. Mine was set to 1, and setting to 3 instantly solved the problem (a reboot might be required for the changes to take effect).

The other key value was already at 1 for me, but still make sure it's not 0.
Thanks for digging this out.
I have this same issue but with a QNAP server. So I don't think it has those registry keys or options to fiddle with....

Not sure how to troubleshoot from here.
Just wanted to say that I just tried this and it seems to have worked for me too Smile thanks
Since making these changes to the registry, my smb shares no longer timeout. It was a pretty maddening issue, and left me with re-installing Kodi and/or rebooting my main cpu every time. The worst part is my library auto updates in the middle of the night and it wouldn't see the shares any more so when it "cleaned" it wiped everything out.

No more problems with this fix. Thanks again for finding this and sharing! Love this community!
This worked and should be higher up in searches that relate to Kodi and SMB sharing. It helped with my Fire TV Stick running Kodi 14.
Thank you, thank you thank you!!!! This had been driving me nuts for weeks and it appears to have done the trick.
You beautiful beautiful beautiful person you!! This has been hounding us for 6 months now.
Thank you for this great post. My G-box Q starts getting this problem with my windows 7 PC, I hope this will solve the problem.
This fixed it for me. Thanks
Damn! I almost pulled all my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is! I almost threw my cheap Android Box out into the ocean!

Thank you so much for this post! :-)

Good thing i dag through the old posts. Is it ok to request this post to be pinned? I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from this.
Ideally, this should be documented somewhere on the Windows SMB (wiki) page.
aaaand I can finally actually use my $25 Target Nexus Player. Man, thanks a ton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB seems to time out on OUYA0