• 185(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-02-04, 15:08)popcornmix Wrote: I think you have to be patient. These are experimental test builds. I wouldn't advise installing them on someone else's system.
Eventually when this is stable enough it will be pushed into master. Eventually it will make it into stable builds - but this will take months.

Automatically switching between omxplayer and dvdplayer is something xbmc has no infrastructure for (you don't know the details of the stream until the player has opened the file).
So that is not going to be simple to achieve. (It would probably mean removing omxplayer, and creating an omxplayervideo/omxplayeraudio that is contolled by dvdplayer).

It is likely that using dvdplayer as the default player will be satifactory for most users (who never play raw Blu-Ray rips).

I've always used these builds for the RPi I built and setup for my brother and he's benefited from and appreciated a lot of the improvements that have been made already, which he wouldn't have got from the stable, at least not for a long time.

I imagine that selecting omxplayer/dvdplayer could to some extent be done by file extension (i.e. VOB files are always going to be DVD/MPEG-2) but for extensions where they doesn't work and which could contain h.264 or mpeg-4 or divx, then I think that mediainfo or similar could be used to extract the details of the file before deciding which player to use.

I'll try setting dvdplayer as default for now though and see if that causes any problems with the files my brother typically uses (he doesn't use Blu-Ray at all, other than a couple of .mkv rips I gave him and mostly only rips his DVD's and downloads SD files from iPlayer and other sources, as he's only running composite to a CRT TV).
(2014-02-04, 16:39)rbej Wrote: OMXPlayer - GPU mem=100MB Works perfect with all 1080p mkv files.

I don't think omxplayer is usable with gpu_mem=100.
We now keep more buffers on GPU rather than ARM and gpu_mem=128 is the minimum recommended (even with omxplayer).
I use gpu_mem=100 on latest Gotham build(with latest clock3 patches) and omxplayer works perfect with any 1080p mkv files.

Is there a way to track GPU memory usage?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-01-31, 12:39)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 12:19)cognitive alien Wrote: I saw a constant 100% cpu on screen usage, went to PC, putty in, did top and lircd is using 72.2% cpu, rebooted and it went back to normal

That's not lircd, that's xbmc.bin. Any number of things could cause xbmc.bin to consume CPU - an addon running in the background, or text scrolling in the GUI, are typical causes of high CPU.

PS. Use code tags.

MilHouse I use your version of XBMC and really apprechiate your work. I was wondering if there is a Changelog somewhere where I can see the changes you make between all your releases?
(2014-02-04, 17:09)xbs08 Wrote: Is there a way to track GPU memory usage?

Try Milhouse's bcmstat.sh script.
https://github.com/MilhouseVH/bcmstat
(2014-02-04, 16:50)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 16:39)rbej Wrote: OMXPlayer - GPU mem=100MB Works perfect with all 1080p mkv files.

I don't think omxplayer is usable with gpu_mem=100.
We now keep more buffers on GPU rather than ARM and gpu_mem=128 is the minimum recommended (even with omxplayer).

Wow, on the 21th you still suggested minium of 256...
(2014-02-04, 17:28)ijsbeer79 Wrote: Wow, on the 21th you still suggested minium of 256...

For testing dvdplayer. omxplayer has always been okay with 128M.

In latest build dvdplayer will probably work with 128M.

Whatever number suggested can probably be exceeded if you tried.
E.g. playing killa.mkv with 12 1080p reference frames, and then returning to menu whilst it's playing and browsing your movies in a wall view...
Good reason for an option to disable playing if you are returning to the menu Tongue
is there any benefits on those test builds with lip sync issues, comparing to official builds?
(2014-02-04, 17:10)corb06 Wrote: MilHouse I use your version of XBMC and really apprechiate your work. I was wondering if there is a Changelog somewhere where I can see the changes you make between all your releases?

Changes between releases are available at the "changelog" links included with each release. Any additional patches that are included (or excluded) but which are not part of newclock3 will be mentioned in the list of "modifications". Links to all of the commits and patches in each build are usually present in every release post.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-02-04, 18:30)tfouto Wrote: is there any benefits on those test builds with lip sync issues, comparing to official builds?

For live TV with packet loss, then yes, using dvdplayer in a new build could be better.
For normal file based playback I'm not aware of any lip sync issues.
Just confirmed on my rpi, on OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20140204085709-r17625-g6396b1d version, the manual search for subtitles isn't working.
On the version from 2014-01-30, worked, will confirm if this one is the only not working or if the other versions of february also dont work.

None of february releases till now work with manual search in subtitles...
Great work guys but just for your information with DVDPlayer enabled boblight with boblight-dispmanx is not working anymore.
(2014-01-31, 09:55)tuxen Wrote: Edit: ups things move fast here.. Smile

(2014-01-31, 05:36)nola mike Wrote: Kind of a dumb question, but I'm trying to use stable releases the easy way--saw that I can just dump the tar file in the .update folder, but I can't seem to find it?
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC
You have to extract the .tar and put the files from the folder "target" to the folder ".update" on openELEC and reboot. 7zip, winrar, tar Smile, etc can extract the files.

You should be able the reach .update via. Samba \\openelec\update or using winscp, make sure display hidden files is enabled if using the latter. If you still can't find it create it "mkdir /storage/.update" via ssh or use winscp again. A . in front of the file/folder means that its hidden, so a normal "ls" won't list it, you can you the option "ls -a" to display it.

Hope you got a few general pointers.

Thanks for that. I'm actually pretty familiar with Linux, but didn't have an update folder on my system and didn't know what the path should be. Running the storage partition off a USB stick, so maybe that has something to do with it
  • 185(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223