• 186(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-02-05, 03:34)nola mike Wrote: Running the storage partition off a USB stick, so maybe that has something to do with it

Shouldn't do, as OpenELEC will create any folders it requires each time it boots. Just make sure you're paying attention to the information you've been given - the folders are hidden by default (leading "."), and all the usual folders (including the "Update" folder) will be available to you via SMB.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0205
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.1 #1 PREEMPT Wed Feb 5 05:15:53 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Feb  2 2014 15:29:51
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 09963e047b754ec3282f28bd3da7074a5a6fd418 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140205052337-r17644-g5fa7980

Based on tip of XBMC master (1ac9442, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (5fa7980, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 3f4dddc which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • "Show RSS Feed" default setting changed to disabled
Build Higlights:
  1. Firmware: Updated to latest Feb 2 release
  2. XBMC: Several commits from popcornmix/newclock3 have landed upstream (EDL fix, avoid TrueHD, report memory allocation and MPEG/VC1 licence status in xbmc.log)
  3. newclock3: New patch to handle still frames returned from codec

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-02-04, 19:13)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 18:30)tfouto Wrote: is there any benefits on those test builds with lip sync issues, comparing to official builds?

For live TV with packet loss, then yes, using dvdplayer in a new build could be better.
For normal file based playback I'm not aware of any lip sync issues.

And if it's normal file playback via smb?
(2014-02-05, 07:41)MilhouseVH Wrote: New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0205

I'm interested in testing of DVD menus (using dvdplayer) in this build. It should be hardware accelerated, but avoid the blank screen problem when there is a static background.
(2014-02-05, 12:09)tfouto Wrote: And if it's normal file playback via smb?

I've not seen any reported lip sync issues there, so would expect omxplayer to be fine. Feel free to test dvdplayer to see if there's a difference.
(2014-02-05, 13:04)popcornmix Wrote:

I'm interested in testing of DVD menus (using dvdplayer) in this build. It should be hardware accelerated, but avoid the blank screen problem when there is a static background.

Note really sure how to explain this, but while testing playback of a DVD ISO using DVDPlayer, I noticed that swap usage jumped from 0% to 36% shortly after playback started: bcmstat.sh output. That seems a bit odd.

Running "free" confirms that 47MB of swap is now in use:
Code:
rpi512:~ # free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        251200       228024        23176            0        20376
-/+ buffers:             207648        43552
Swap:       131068        47704        83364

Also, activating the codec info display isn't possible from the remote control while playing a DVD ISO with dvdplayer, although it can be activated via JSON (./texturecache,py input showcodec).

Edit: Rebooted, and haven't so far been able to reproduce... and now the codec info is also correctly toggling on and off from the remote control.
(2014-02-05, 13:06)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 12:09)tfouto Wrote: And if it's normal file playback via smb?

I've not seen any reported lip sync issues there, so would expect omxplayer to be fine. Feel free to test dvdplayer to see if there's a difference.

Using openelec xbmc on my pi latest official nightly gotham: http://mirrors.xbmcnightlybuilds.com/Ope...UILDS/RPi/, seems that the sync is not perfect. It's not really noticeable, but if i compare with mpc-hc on windows, it's not as perfect. There is a difference. Also it seems to change on movie. There are times it's sync, others that seem worst. Maybe it's a mkv issue and not properly xbmc. It's just xbmc even on windows always seemed to me not be as perfect as mpc-hc, regarding to lip sync. Maybe i could try different settings on my pi. For now i just connect my pi to my tv via hdmi. Maybe i will buy a sound system later.

Also why on openelec there is a default audio delay?

http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/57509-24p-audio-delay or was at least? I dont know if new versions (gotham) this still remains. But if there is a audio delay by default, it's because xbmc cant handle properly 24p material perfectly, no?
(2014-02-05, 13:04)popcornmix Wrote:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=125211

Seems to be working quite well here thanks Smile

On the first VOB rip I tried, the menu worked and I could start the movie or go to the chapters menu and start it from there. The only problem I had was when opening the top menu and selecting the DVD icon, when playback just stopped (XBMC hadn't frozen though as the debug OSD was still updating).

The second rip I couldn't get to work at all though when trying to play the Video_TS.IFO. It works in Media Player Classic on my Windows PC, so doesn't appear to be corrupt.

It doesn't appear to be possible to start the rip by pressing play on the name of the parent folder (i.e The Gladiators, which contains the Video_TS subfolder with the actual files in it), only by drilling down to the files and playing from there, so that would be a nice fix to consider.

I probably haven't got my remote.xml configured correctly but I couldn't chapter skip, only skip +/- 3min, with either the D-pad Up/Down or the Chapter/Skip buttons.

The global section has

<skipplus>BigStepForward</skipplus>
<skipminus>BigStepBack</skipminus>

and FullScreenVideo has

<skipplus>BigStepForward</skipplus>
<skipminus>BigStepBack</skipminus>

but I don't know if there's meant to be a separate section for DVD playback.

I had no problem showing the codecinfo when playing the VOB rip with my remote.xml configured to

<green>CodecInfo</green>

I noticed that there's a folder accessible via SMB (and SCP) names Logfiles, which contains zipped collections of the logs. I'm a bit confused as to when these zips are made, as it appeared that the most recent one was at 11:35, whereas the last entry in the current log was slightly after that at 11:36. I can imagine it zipping up the logs at each boot or something but surely it's not constantly doing this on the fly is it, as I imagine that would be an unnecessary drain on resources? I only noticed this as I was looking for a quicker way of opening the log to paste than having to WinSCP in but it seems .xbmc/temp is exposed via SMB, so this isn't possible.
(2014-02-05, 13:56)doveman2 Wrote: It doesn't appear to be possible to start the rip by pressing play on the name of the parent folder (i.e The Gladiators, which contains the Video_TS subfolder with the actual files in it), only by drilling down to the files and playing from there, so that would be a nice fix to consider.

This is xbmc behaviour. Context-menu then play to play from the DVD folder, or enable stacking (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103531)
(2014-02-05, 14:02)popcornmix Wrote: This is xbmc behaviour. Context-menu then play to play from the DVD folder, or enable stacking (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103531)

Thanks. Context-menu then play works. Smile I thought I'd tried this but I guess I only tried it with the 2nd DVD, which doesn't play whatever I do.

Would be nice if the Play button did the same thing though, as we have the OK/Enter button for navigating down through the folders and I believe Play works to play the folder contents in other contexts (i.e. where movies are in individual folders and Music folders).
Using dvdplayer and sticking
<pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>0</minvideocachelevel>
<minaudiocachelevel>0</minaudiocachelevel>
<maxvideocachelevel>0</maxvideocachelevel>
<maxaudiocachelevel>0</maxaudiocachelevel>
<cacheindvdplayer>false</cacheindvdplayer>
</pvr>

In advanced settings makes channel switching INSANELY fast on this build. Unfortunately, I still can't play HD channels on dvdplayer.
(2014-02-04, 11:48)MilhouseVH Wrote: New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0204
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.1 #1 PREEMPT Tue Feb 4 08:58:21 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jan 28 2014 18:56:53
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8966c433ecd9358a1cdab717d2a1b89999464b10 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140204085709-r17625-g6396b1d

Based on tip of XBMC master (65ad3ae, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (6396b1d, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 7f0a8b9 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • "Show RSS Feed" default setting changed to disabled
Build Higlights:
  1. Lots of dvdplayer+omxcodec fixes have been pushed to newclock3.
    • Aspect ratio for non-square pixel videos should be fixed
    • Reduced GPU memory usage by 20M
    • Fixed issue with green flashes when playing software codec (e.g. divx3) after hardware codec
    • Fixed some crashes with ff/rew and when stopping/restarting
    • Fixed some omx_err situations
  2. OpenELEC: Updated wlan firmware

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

Hi,

i also tried this release, but my problem with this release persists as with the other MilhouseVH OpenELEC-master based releases.
Whenever i try one of your builds, my USB-DVB-C Stick produces tons of Continuity Errors when running tvheadend service.
I dont see these errors with my OpenELEC-3.2-based builds.
I also have tried to build OpenELEC-master against kernel-3.10,
but this build hangs after successful booting the kernel at "Starting Show version".

Does anybody know if there are changes between the used kernels?
Or are there any knobs within the newest release which i am not aware of?

Best Regards,
Andre
@schub

I don't know if it's relevant to DVB-C, as I use a DVB-T stick but I had constant continuity errors as well until I disabled Idle Scanning and Full Mux Reception, so you could try that maybe.
(2014-02-05, 16:01)doveman2 Wrote: Would be nice if the Play button did the same thing though, as we have the OK/Enter button for navigating down through the folders and I believe Play works to play the folder contents in other contexts (i.e. where movies are in individual folders and Music folders).

You want to enable stacking, which in gotham is now "Combine split video items" in settings/video/file lists.
(2014-02-05, 13:18)MilhouseVH Wrote: Note really sure how to explain this, but while testing playback of a DVD ISO using DVDPlayer, I noticed that swap usage jumped from 0% to 36% shortly after playback started:
Also, activating the codec info display isn't possible from the remote control while playing a DVD ISO with dvdplayer, although it can be activated via JSON (./texturecache,py input showcodec).
Edit: Rebooted, and haven't so far been able to reproduce... and now the codec info is also correctly toggling on and off from the remote control.

Yet me know if you find a way of reproducing this. Was it definitely xbmc's memory usage that had increased (rather than some other process)?
  • 186(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223