• 133(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
Yes - raring is out of support. Please update as soon as possible, best is follow the howto again.

Ubuntu does not allow to build raring packages anymore via their ppa.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-07, 18:03)fritsch Wrote: Yes - raring is out of support. Please update as soon as possible, best is follow the howto again.

Ubuntu does not allow to build raring packages anymore via their ppa.

Thanks again, was going to do a rebuild once Gotham beta is released. I would of gone Saucy earlier but had some fiddly issues with some of my hardware (and a USB keyboard bug that prevents install from scratch).
jep, that sucks :-) - retry with the server iso, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-07, 18:13)fritsch Wrote: jep, that sucks :-) - retry with the server iso, please.

It was the server ISO unfortunately, I'll probably need to figure out a headless install.
just release upgrade from your raring install
(2014-02-07, 23:14)wsnipex Wrote: just release upgrade from your raring install

I know about dist-upgrade but my experience has made me paranoid to the point I don't trust it (to be 100% clean Saucy).
(2014-02-07, 16:48)blm14 Wrote: Quick question - when will this code get into mainline? In time for gotham? And when it ultimately does, will there be support (software decode maybe?) for those WMV files that seem to never be playable? Other than that I am loving this new code. Runs on my APU fantastically, thanks a lot for all the hard work!

So if I build from standard git then I can have these improvements? It would be nice to be back on a standard kernel, etc.
I'm getting 'crashes' that I don't know how to debug:
Sometimes xbmc is closed (it's not important) but upstart keeps respawning it within a second, and it keeps crashing, so I have about 3 thousand lines of
[23477.279973] init: xbmc main process (16778) terminated with status 1
[23477.279998] init: xbmc main process ended, respawning
[23492.307343] init: xbmc main process (16785) terminated with status 1
[23492.307395] init: xbmc main process ended, respawning
[23507.336532] init: xbmc main process (16836) terminated with status 1
[23507.336556] init: xbmc main process ended, respawning

in dmesg

there's no xbmc-crashlog in my home folder, if there's any log I can post here I will. If this problem is unrelated to xbmc and it's upstart's fault I'd like to know

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solved.
First, X wouldn't start because it had no permissions. I had followed the tutorial and ran the dpkg-reconfigure x11-commons but it seems like doing a dist-upgrade broke the permissions.
Then xbmc couldn't find the r600 driver, because the user was not in the 'video' group. I don't know why that happened, because it was working before, which implies that the user was in the group.

Anyway, it's working now.

Thanks
(2014-02-08, 03:38)blm14 Wrote:
(2014-02-07, 16:48)blm14 Wrote: Quick question - when will this code get into mainline? In time for gotham? And when it ultimately does, will there be support (software decode maybe?) for those WMV files that seem to never be playable? Other than that I am loving this new code. Runs on my APU fantastically, thanks a lot for all the hard work!

So if I build from standard git then I can have these improvements? It would be nice to be back on a standard kernel, etc.

Kernel has nothing to do with xbmc. If your distro provides kernel 3.13 you can keep it. Mesa and the vdpau driver is your bigger Problem. Ubuntu does not ship it and 14.04 also not for now.
(2014-02-07, 14:58)libgradev Wrote:
(2014-02-06, 20:37)uuzi Wrote: just a quick question, i've already asked in another thread specific to this setup but i had an idea that it may have something to do with the setup i used from this tutorial.

all info is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1620906

i can't seem to get SD channels to work. HD channels work just fine but SD channels crash xbmc. i thought it may have something to do with mpeg2 not being properly decoded?

any thoughts?

thx in advance

Yup, you're tripping the MPEG-2 VDPAU bug (happens with certain cards)... https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71796

This was showing improvement with 10.1-devel see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1613084

mmmhhhh as you said it only happens with certain cards. can you say on which cards this does NOT happen? i'm willing to buy another card at this point Sad
Don't buy anything. Build my vdpau-settings branch from source - there is an option to "just" disable mpeg-2 decoding.
will try that, THX fritsch. just a quick question: which branch exactly vdpau-settings or vdpau-settings2?

sorry stupid question i'll take the first one, since that's the one you committed to a day ago. Smile
vdpau-settings

sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
sudo apt-get install libxslt-dev
git clone https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc.git
cd xbmc
git checkout vdpau-settings
./bootstrap ; ./configure --disable-debug --disable-vaapi --enable-vdpau
make -j4

Compilation is finished when you have a xbmc.bin in that directory, if not something went wrong. Just run make (without -j) at that point again.

sudo make install

Change /etc/init/xbmc.conf to not start /usr/bin/xbmc but rather /usr/local/bin/xbmc - you need to install pvr addons manuall from zip with that approach. I hope to be able to submit that PR soon upstream.
i think i'm stupid. i can't see the option to disable mpeg2 decoding in my freshly compiled vdpau-settings
Video -> Playback -> Expert settings
  • 133(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26