• 38(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
@Bohlendach
Just set dvdplayer as default in advancedsettings.xml (see post#1)
This is optional and might be default in the future, but I let testers choose this themselves for now.

Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Feb 18 + newclock3 commits.

Some info:
• NC3: Same as last build + fix for possible crashes
• Master: Fix for Ticket #14940

See last build for more info.

Firmware from 17th of Feb recommended.
Firmware update, recommendations and additional testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
cd .upgrade
wget -O xbmc-13-20140218-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/NlU0zN --no-check-certificate
mkdir -p xbmc-13-20140218-nc3
pv xbmc-13-20140218-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C xbmc-13-20140218-nc3
cd xbmc-13-20140218-nc3/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
Activate new build in "Raspbmc Settings/Nightly…/Switch…”, choose new build + restart XBMC.
(2014-02-18, 13:33)miappa Wrote: @Bohlendach
Just set dvdplayer as default in advancedsettings.xml (see post#1)
This is optional and might be default in the future, but I let testers choose this themselves for now.

Got it

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
    <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Now dvdplayer plays dvds and omxplayer plays other videos
Thx
(2014-02-18, 13:10)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-18, 13:03)carmenm Wrote: I don't know if it is of any help but here are the specs of a video crashing on omx and stuttering on dvdplayer

dvdplayer probably won't ever play high bitrate 1080p without stuttering - it is less efficient than omxplayer (although I'll try to improve as much as possible).
omxplayer shouldn't crash. If you can cut that video into a few minutes sample file that shows the problem and upload it, I can investigate.
I'll try and do that, cause actually i think it always crashes at the same time (or is it just after sometime cause or buffering and stuff).
Will look into it

Thanks
(2014-02-16, 21:21)miappa Wrote: Did you reboot?

You can check firmware version with 'vcgencmd version', it should be:
Quote:pi@raspbmc:~$ vcgencmd version
Feb 14 2014 19:22:36
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 45d99f51ad03ec95e6bd087065de3bc825bfce33 (clean) (release)

Edit:
Cannot write the complete version number, the forum changes it...

My fault, apperantly wget does not replace files (should have guessed)
ok, the old german boy have also a problem with DVD_Player:

SD (4,9 GB) Video from my Topfield [*rec] plays "face down" wih a little stuttering over FTP.-> "Cache full bevor.." on the riht Button-Side
OMX play correctl, but wih high stuttering.

Ocean's 13 (HD rec File with 13 GB with DD5.1):
DVDplayer work also with "face down" and have al little more stuttering like SD -> "Cache full bevor.." on the riht Button-Side
OMX plays also in the correctl Format, but wih higher stuttering, and stops.

I'm on the Line :-)

New SD Card
Fresh Installation Raspxbmc over Win32 and Network.
Have all make see #1 Post include libdvdcss, New Firmware gpu_mem and advancedsettings.

btw: iss that right to make a "new File" named advancedsettings.xml and put them on home/pi
( seeing on my Win7 on SD-Card -> same Folder like "settings.xml", "cdm-txt, start_x.elf" ) ?
...or on another Place? think no ;-)

edit: the same Probs with DVD Files

Sorry
(2014-02-17, 23:02)miappa Wrote: UPDATE: Build is updated with an additional commit, info added below.
New build is called *-nc3b, anyone with the initial build (called *-nc3) should update.

Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Feb 17 + newclock3 commits.

Some info:
• ActiveAE: fix incorrect trigger for transition (should fix this issue)

(2014-02-17, 22:32)popcornmix Wrote: For me, this now plays all my DVD menus correctly (that's up to about 6 now).
So please test, and let me know what DVDs don't work (ideally upload a sample that shows any problems).

Cool! I can confirm that the menu transition problem with the Die Hard 2 DVD is indeed solved! Thank for the quick fix. It is getting better and better every day and I'm very grateful for that Blush

I've done some testing last night with this version, and encountered another troublesome DVD. This time it's a dutch chick-flick called 'Alles is Familie'.

When testing with various players on Windows, it shows this (correct) behavior:

Start DVD -> Static Main menu with music, with options for 'play movie', 'scene selection', 'extras' etc. Nothing fancy really...

When testing on my Pi, running the latest firmware and xbmc-13-20140217-nc3b, I get:
OmxPlayer: Start DVD -> Black screen, Pi totally unresponsive, need to power-cycle to get out of this.
DvdPlayer: Start DVD -> Black screen with a light-blue rectangle in the top-left corner of the screen, Pi totally unresponsive, need to power-cycle to get out of this.

In both cases I did not try to SSH into the Pi when it was not responsive.

Here's the DVD, with the main movie and all other video stuff ripped out with VobBlanker:
Alles is Familie DVD (8MB)

I hope you're able to reproduce this...

Thanks again!
@Popcornmix:

I am wondering where all recent developments are going, and if there is a certain goal you have in mind.
I mean, it is really cool that we now have DvdPlayer with hardware support and the support in DvdPlayer for the static menus is a huge improvement over OmxPlayer. But besides the DVD issues, I was/am quite happy with OmxPlayer.

Some observations:
- OmxPlayer plays back non-dvd video's (tested some h264 mkv-videos) much smoother than DvdPlayer. This is especially noticeable when panning left-right or vice verse.
- When playing DVD's (don't know about other videos...), DvdPlayer has frame-accurate timing of subtitles. When playing with OmxPlayer, there is quite some jittering on the subtitle timing. (See my little subtitle test here (Raspbmc Subtitile Test) and see the difference when played with Omx and DvdPlayer)
- OmxPlayer has no support for static DVD menus, while DvdPlayer has...

So what's your intention ?
- Try to improve both as much as possible, and see which one is the 'winner' in the end?
- Try to make DvdPlayer good enough so we can abandon OmxPLayer completely?
- Keep OmxPlayer and DvdPlayer concurrently alive for respectively non-dvd and dvd-playback?
- Backport dvd-playing fixes (e.g. static menus) back to OmxPlayer?
- Other?

I'm just curious what your strategy is...

Thanks a bunch!
(2014-02-18, 22:39)doldi Wrote: SD (4,9 GB) Video from my Topfield [*rec] plays "face down" wih a little stuttering over FTP.-> "Cache full bevor.." on the riht Button-Side
OMX play correctl, but wih high stuttering.

Upside down video means your firmware version doesn't match the xbmc version. You need to update start_x.elf/fixup_x.dat.
(2014-02-19, 09:55)jeroenz Wrote: Some observations:
- OmxPlayer plays back non-dvd video's (tested some h264 mkv-videos) much smoother than DvdPlayer. This is especially noticeable when panning left-right or vice verse.

I have had better performance on h264 mkv's by following the popcornmix's instructions here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1613380

No more stutter and a nice explanation of why.
Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Feb 19 + newclock3 commits + one additional commit.

Some info:
• Same as last build + master from Feb 19
• Additional: WOA/WOL, fix for crash after wakeup (see this thread)

Firmware from 17th of Feb recommended.
Firmware update, recommendations and additional testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
cd .upgrade
wget -O xbmc-13-20140219-nc3-woa.tar.gz http://goo.gl/Q6gA9L --no-check-certificate
mkdir -p xbmc-13-20140219-nc3-woa
pv xbmc-13-20140219-nc3-woa.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C xbmc-13-20140219-nc3-woa
cd xbmc-13-20140219-nc3-woa/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
Activate new build in "Raspbmc Settings/Nightly…/Switch…”, choose new build + restart XBMC.
(2014-02-19, 09:55)jeroenz Wrote: So what's your intention ?
- Try to improve both as much as possible, and see which one is the 'winner' in the end?
- Try to make DvdPlayer good enough so we can abandon OmxPLayer completely?
- Keep OmxPlayer and DvdPlayer concurrently alive for respectively non-dvd and dvd-playback?
- Backport dvd-playing fixes (e.g. static menus) back to OmxPlayer?
- Other?

There were two main reasons for getting dvdplayer working.
Software decode for unsupported SD resolution codecs (e.g. msmpeg-4, DivX 3, sorenson spark)
Full DVD playback with menus

The second requires the hardware accelerated omxcodec.

There was a hope that if dvdplayer+omxcodec was the "winner", then support for omxplayer could be dropped in favour of supporting the smaller omxcodec.
It looks like that is not going to be the outcome. As omxplayer offloads a lot of the player code to the GPU, dvdplayer will always have a performance disadvantage.
While I get decent performance from dvdplayer with moderate bitrate 1080p, there are dropped frames, and it's not even close to playing raw Blu-Ray rips.

Also omxplayer can play 1080i content well, producing 60fps deinterlaced video output. When you bring up the OSD it is updated more slowly (e.g. at 10fps) which works quite well.
dvdplayer in the same situation has to update the OSD at the video framerate which results in a lot of struggling.

There will be improvements possible to dvdplayer+omxcodec, but I suspect not enough.

But I'd suspect a significant number of users don't play much 1080i or Blu-Rays content. Most of the content I watch is 720p and plays pretty well with dvdplayer.

So having the choice available does mean if you find a problem with audio sync, or subtitle sync, or smoothness, or tolerance to errors or bad timestamps, or an unsupported (SD) codec you can try using the other player to see if it behaves better.

At the moment a goal would be to:
make dvdplayer the default for dvd images
make omxplayer the default for all other files
allow "play using dvdplayer" to be a manual option for software video decode of SD codecs, or as an alternative for a file that plays badly.

Unfortunately xbmc's structure doesn't make it easy to automatically play an unsupported codec with dvdplayer.
You only know for sure that you can't play it once omxplayer has opened the ffmpeg demuxer and got the codec hints out (the filename is not enough).
It would be quite ugly to make omxplayer return an error and then have xbmc retry with dvdplayer (but it's an option).

A longer term goal could be to merge omxplayer and dvdplayer.
Currently OMXPlayer.cpp and DVDPlayer.cpp are quite similar, so use a common file for that.
Once ffmpeg parsing is done either code from DVDPlayerVideo.cpp or OMXPlayerVideo.cpp would be invoked based on codec/resolution and user options.
That would avoid some of the maintenance omxplayer requires (merging changes from DVDPlayer.cpp to OMXPlayer.cpp) but shouldn't harm performance.

Backporting dvd menus to omxplayer certainly would be nice, and having spent a long time debugging issues, I am in a better position to do it, but I'm still not confident I'll ever get it working perfectly.
There is a lot of very hacky code that does this. dvdplayer doesn't even use ffmpeg for decoding the menu's videos, but libmpeg2 because they couldn't get ffmpeg to behave exactly as desired.
Using omxplayer, with the decoded frames not even visible to the arm makes this much harder.
A thought, codec info is stored in the video db (MyVideosXX.db / streamdetails / strVideoCodec), I guess it comes from "extract thumbnails and video info" or from when you first play the video.

Would it be possible to check this info first, for example if it´s div3 and use dvdplayer?
(2014-02-19, 20:38)miappa Wrote: A thought, codec info is stored in the video db (MyVideosXX.db / streamdetails / strVideoCodec), I guess it comes from "extract thumbnails and video info" or from when you first play the video.

Would it be possible to check this info first, for example if it´s div3 and use dvdplayer?

It would if we didn't recommend disabling "extract thumbnails and video info"
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ

I hope you don't have that enabled - it really is expensive.

I also imagine that wouldn't help for content streamed from plugins.
Yes, thought of that too, but I am scraping from my computer and use MySQL so the info is there.
But I guess it wouldn´t be consistent so probably not a proper solution.
(2014-02-19, 17:56)grainybazzles Wrote:
(2014-02-19, 09:55)jeroenz Wrote: Some observations:

I have had better performance on h264 mkv's by following the popcornmix's instructions here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1613380

No more stutter and a nice explanation of why.

Thanks, I'll give it a try...
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15