• 151(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
OU/SBS yes. Frame Packed 3D, no.
(2014-02-21, 17:10)Carcharius Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 16:51)herbieUK Wrote: Pls excuse the noob question : Should install a 32 or 64 bit linux mint, and should it be linux mint 14 or can i use 15 or even 16?
Planning on using Openelec on a Haswell i5
Thanks

If you're going to be running OpenElec you don't need to install any OS at all. OpenElec IS the OS.

What Carcharius said.
However I want other pc functionality as well and installed Linux Mint, then XBMC into that.
Mint 16 looks pretty solid so far (I have one driver related issue - a USB 3 wireless adapter - but that is the driver waiting to catch up with the latest linux kernel, not the OS that's at fault)
I just went with 32 bit.

So - go Openelec if you just want the XBMC, but go Mint if you want additional functionality.
Ubuntu is another Linux option, but the Mint interface is really nice and extremely easy to use
If you're coming from Windows, Mint is pretty intuitive in how it appears from User perspective vs the Ubuntu Unity scheme
(2014-02-21, 23:38)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 17:10)Carcharius Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 16:51)herbieUK Wrote: Pls excuse the noob question : Should install a 32 or 64 bit linux mint, and should it be linux mint 14 or can i use 15 or even 16?
Planning on using Openelec on a Haswell i5
Thanks

If you're going to be running OpenElec you don't need to install any OS at all. OpenElec IS the OS.

What Carcharius said.
However I want other pc functionality as well and installed Linux Mint, then XBMC into that.
Mint 16 looks pretty solid so far (I have one driver related issue - a USB 3 wireless adapter - but that is the driver waiting to catch up with the latest linux kernel, not the OS that's at fault)
I just went with 32 bit.

So - go Openelec if you just want the XBMC, but go Mint if you want additional functionality.
Ubuntu is another Linux option, but the Mint interface is really nice and extremely easy to use
If you're coming from Windows, Mint is pretty intuitive in how it appears from User perspective vs the Ubuntu Unity scheme

Coming from OSX, hence my confusion!
(2014-02-21, 07:27)Wingfat Wrote: Does anyone know if the newly announced Xbox One Media Remote will be compatible with the NUC? Will it use the same codes as the Microsoft Media Center remotes?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-576191...ft-to-sell-$25-xbox-one-media-remote-in-march/

No it is not the same remote codes, or even the same protocol (MCE is RC6, the Xbox One remote is nec1 protocol).
To all who have Bootproblems with USB 3.0, try to turning off "Failsafe Watchdog" in the Performance tab
Hey guys. I have the D34010WYK with XBMCbuntu installed. 1080 playback is really stuttery; one core is always at 100%, no matter what configuration I try. If I enable VPDAI I get the error:

ERROR: (VDPAU) unable to init VDPAU - vdp_st = 0x1. Falling back.

and playback is stuttery.

I also get an error if I enable VAAPI, although apparently VAAPI isn't supported on these systems.

I've spent a few hours trawling the Internet and I've tried everything that's suggested (re-installing Nvidia drivers and VPDAI). Still no luck.

Any suggestions? I presume this must be a problem for everyone if I'm using default settings? It seems silly that such a powerful box can be tripped up by something so simple!
nvidia drivers and vdpau won't do you any good on a computer with no nvidia gpu!!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well that sounds like it could be the answer! What should I be using? VAAPI? Or nothing?
Yes VAAPI is for intel based machines.

I am working on making this clearer in the settings
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver
sudo reboot

should make vaapi work

If you want a linux experience for starters without much trouble: snapshots.openelec.tv
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi all

Thank you for all the valuable information in this thread - it has helped a lot! I hooked up my Haswell NUC today - installed OpenElec and managed to get my Harmony 650 remote working (sort of). This was all a fairly steep learning curve for a noob.

One problem - the remote only works when I SSH the following -

# modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
# echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
# modprobe nuvoton-cir

I have created an autostart.sh file and made it executable (with SSH # chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh - not sure how to see if this actually worked?)

The moment I reboot the NUC the remote doesn't work anymore - this is a copy and paste from the autostart.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
# modprobe nuvoton-cir

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!
(2014-02-22, 20:45)siris Wrote: Hi all

Thank you for all the valuable information in this thread - it has helped a lot! I hooked up my Haswell NUC today - installed OpenElec and managed to get my Harmony 650 remote working (sort of). This was all a fairly steep learning curve for a noob.

One problem - the remote only works when I SSH the following -

# modprobe nuvoton-cir

I have created an autostart.sh file and made it executable (with SSH # chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh - not sure how to see if this actually worked?)

The moment I reboot the NUC the remote doesn't work anymore - this is a copy and paste from the autostart.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
# modprobe nuvoton-cir

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

Take the hash/pound signs out from the last 3 lines. Those make them comments, and the system ignores them. It should look like this:
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton
-cir 
(2014-02-22, 20:47)bustamelon Wrote: Take the hash/pound signs out from the last 3 lines. Those make them comments, and the system ignores them. It should look like this:
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
modprobe nuvoton
-cir 

Thanks. I've changed it. Still not working though - could it be that autostart.sh is not executed - how do I check?

Copied from autostart.sh after your changes:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

File is located Root/Configfiles folder. I've again SSHed # chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh.

Thanks for helping out!
(2014-02-22, 21:44)siris Wrote:
(2014-02-22, 20:47)bustamelon Wrote: Take the hash/pound signs out from the last 3 lines. Those make them comments, and the system ignores them. It should look like this:
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
modprobe nuvoton
-cir 

Thanks. I've changed it. Still not working though - could it be that autostart.sh is not executed - how do I check?

Copied from autostart.sh after your changes:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

File is located Root/Configfiles folder. I've again SSHed # chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh.

Thanks for helping out!

Hmm. Did you put the hash mark in fron of the chmod command too? Or is that just a prompt?
Make sure that doesn't go in there and try (that line) again. Failing that, you can try from scratch following the steps in this post. Good luck!

** Edit:
Oh, it looks like maybe the autostart.sh is in the wrong place. Should be in /storage/.config/
No, .config not ,config
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 151(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7