Video settings for new TV
I just bought a new TV to replace a old 1080i TV and I am trying to optomize the output of XBMC to match the new capabilities.

I notice now that my receivers info screen shows that the input is "1080p 60hz RGB 24bit" and it is outputing "1080p 60hz RGB 30bit" how can I get XBMC to directly output at 30bit so the receiver inbetween doesn't have to do any upscaling type operations.

I'm running XBMCbuntu with a Nvidia video card and have tried looking through all of XBMCs settings, and even changing xorg.conf directly but I must not of known what to change.
I did not find a way via xorg.conf to set it to 30bit, but RGB FULL is possible and I would try that first, something like this, should work

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    # 23.976 and 24.0 refresh rates
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_24" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_23.976" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    #
    # This is the first step
    # Uncomment the ModeDebug option and reboot
    # get the nvidia xconfig, see:
    # http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_EDID_nvidia
    # you only need to download the version for your setup (32 or 64)
    # and issue one command afterwards
    #
    # Option         "ModeDebug" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "ColorRange" "FULL" # Set to Limited if all is too dark
    Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
    # this is the second step
    # check /var/log/Xorg.0.0.log to see if your nvidia is realy DFP-1
    # could also be DFP-0 or something else
    # make sure your TV can do 60hz
    # uncomment all the next options, adjust DFP-1 to DFP-X
    # Option         "VertRefresh"  "DFP-1: 23-60"
    # Option         "HorizSync"    "DFP-1: 25-100"
    # Option         "ModeValidation" "DFP-1: NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
    # Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    # Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
    # Option         "UseEDID" "true"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

You see some commented # lines for hardcoding an EDID. I would suggest that, cause then you can boot your htpc without AVR nor TV being powered on. There is a howto on the OpenELEC forum, which you need to adapt to your xbmcbuntu installation, it involves always three steps: a) set X11 into debugging mode b) acquire edid and save it to a file c) change the xorg.conf and remove debugging, reboot, check Xorg.0.log

Remember you have to change the DFP-X to your actual head.

this config wil also provide 23.976 and 24.0 hz modes - which is to be used when watching movies. Xbmc has a setting "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" - Start / Stop.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have the use limited colour range option turned off in XBMCs settings I assume that means I'm already using RGB full.

Good idea on the extra hz modes I had forgot about them after testing and finding them not to work on my old TV.
I turned on the adjust refresh rate and 24 worked no problem but not 23.976 which still didn't work after your xorg edits. I will look into it more since that is most of my content.

I will even think about the saved edid but that will be last since my media centre is multipurpose with other stuff in the background so it doesn't get turned off much.

Edit I just remembered a problem I have had in the past and just got hit with again when adjusting refresh rate, When using it the XBMC UI gets zoomed in a little and goes off the screen.
xbmc color does not influence xorg color!

Please post Xorg.0.log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Quote:I did not find a way via xorg.conf to set it to 30bit,

Look at the xorg.conf you have posted: DefaultDepth and Depth. Those are set to 24. Setting it to 30 will most likely crash SDL.
This is a sidenote but isnt RGB full the default colour space without any need to configure anything in nvidia drivers anyway?

These below are uneeded since they are default, apparently
Code:
Option         "ColorRange" "Full" # Set to Limited if there is no black and no white
Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"

And the option below is totally unsupported and has been dropped in drivers greater than 3xx.xx
Code:
Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
Thx - it is ignored, so does not harm, changed it never the less.
(2014-02-23, 16:42)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote:I did not find a way via xorg.conf to set it to 30bit,

Look at the xorg.conf you have posted: DefaultDepth and Depth. Those are set to 24. Setting it to 30 will most likely crash SDL.

Thanks, when I started adding SDL to my Google search I see that it is a known problem that is out of XBMC's control. I will give up on it for now and look forward to it getting fixed in the future.

I would like to figure out the UI stretching when using the adjust refresh rate though. I will Google it.
SDL is being dropped in XBMC and if you use Fernetmentas builds which already have dropped sdl, I have my doubts you will be able to set up true 30bit anywhere. 30bit in displays world is the exclusive realm of High end (and very expensive) professional IPS/PLS screens (and serious gfx cards ""quadros in the nvidia sense"" many only in professional systems too) idk many able to do real 30bit (in the display area) even there. Even though YCbCr can be used with deep/wide gamut color systems, ya, maybe in a long long time.
(2014-02-23, 22:47)uNiversal Wrote: SDL is being dropped in XBMC and if you use Fernetmentas builds which already have dropped sdl, I have my doubts you will be able to set up true 30bit anywhere. 30bit in displays world is the exclusive realm of High end (and very expensive) professional IPS/PLS screens (and serious gfx cards ""quadros in the nvidia sense"" many only in professional systems too) idk many able to do real 30bit (in the display area) even there. Even though YCbCr can be used with deep/wide gamut color systems, ya, maybe in a long long time.

I tried switching to Fernetmentas builds since they don't use SDL but it still didn't work. Oh well.
It wont work, if you read a word I said, I doubt your video card can do true 30bit never mind your tv, I dont know about your avr (I dont know AVR's) but definitely I doubt your tv can and or your video card and even if they did, xbmc may not actually support that and even if it did, your media unless some specialized bluray with a wide gamut I dont see it, but then again ya, whatever. keep trying though and if you make it post your findings, Ill be interested in reading it.

Maybe Im missing something here, its possible Wink
(2014-02-24, 01:03)uNiversal Wrote: It wont work, if you read a word I said, I doubt your video card can do true 30bit never mind your tv, I dont know about your avr (I dont know AVR's) but definitely I doubt your tv can and or your video card and even if they did, xbmc may not actually support that and even if it did, your media unless some specialized bluray with a wide gamut I dont see it, but then again ya, whatever. keep trying though and if you make it post your findings, Ill be interested in reading it.

Maybe Im missing something here, its possible Wink

I know my receiver supports it since it is the device I noticed was outputting it to the TV through its video processing
All I know is that my TV seems to support since the receiver would only output it if the edid said it supported it.

According to this http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3145900 any Nvidia Geforce 8 or newer should support it under Linux (Even the writer of that post was surprised because some of the card apparently can't do it under Windows)
I get very confused about Nvidia model numbers but I honestly think mine is newer then Geforce 8 although I could be wrong and wouldn't be surprised. (I have a GF106 [GeForce GTS 450])

I had not thought of media needing to be special for it so it doesn't matter much. But you can understand from my non technical knowledge to be confused into think I could potentially get support for it.
media 8bit 4:2:0 thers no 10bit media there from actual 10bit media sources. So ya there that goes. Thinking that having 3 quadro cards and 2 H-IPS that together cost a bundle just because I actally work with professional graphics and renders...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video settings for new TV0