• 154(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Don't use xbmcbuntu. It is heavily outdated and does not ship kernel / userspace that you need. Perhaps the upcoming version based on 14.04 will change that.
OE has everything you need.

No idea about the remote though.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
so no tearing issue, perfect PQ ?
this is mainly what I want...
Thanks for feedback
(2014-02-25, 10:34)jotenakis Wrote: nobody can help me on this ?
thanks

OE nightly or Ubuntu minimal guide will work just fine

(2014-02-24, 16:17)micoba Wrote: The only working way is to take apart the nuc, dettach the cmos battery cable, wait some minutes and reattach the battery cable. That worked for me!

Can you do this without wrecking the internals? Is it superglued or anything silly?
It's not glued. There are only two black screws. Start pulling from the back side (hdmi).

Take your time, you'll have to move the board back and fourth until it pops out...
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2014-02-25, 02:49)nc88keyz Wrote:
(2014-02-25, 01:36)zag Wrote:
(2014-02-25, 00:14)scarecrow420 Wrote: you certainly dont need it but if you have all the other parts and dont mind spending the money, why not have 16GB of RAM alongside the haswell i5 processor. In the future you could turn it into a server running VMs or something like that. That said there might be better 16GB RAM that doesnt include a game (would you play the game or not?) for a cheaper price?

But yes you certainly dont "need" more than 4GB for your described usage... "want" on the other hand :p

Don't forget using 2 sticks of RAM will use more power.

I personally use 1 x 4gb stick.

OpenELEC uses less than 500mb Wink

I asked you guys for some links to some ram options.

I don't really want the game honestly, but if it comes with it I;m sure i can gift it or resell it for a few bucks on ebay/craigslist/swap forum.

Only reason I am getting rid of HTPC big atx case is because my recently aquired center channel is a monster and i need that area for dialouge domination Wink

Links greatly appreciated. I wont do anything less than 8 i suppose. Im not concerned about the extra energy footprint for 1 additional slot filled.

I will likley transfer to fanless case before long anyways. Another excess cost of 100+

I liked it much better when 4gb ddr3 1.35v was 25 dollars last year around jan-feb

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034586.htm
Pick from this list to be safe. Or at the very least, just make sure to stick with 1.35V, you should be fine.
If you're planning on going fanless, you *should* be concerned about power footprint.
(2014-02-25, 10:48)jotenakis Wrote: so no tearing issue, perfect PQ ?
this is mainly what I want...
Thanks for feedback

I don't have one yet, but no, my understanding is it is not "perfect" yet. For one thing unless they fixed it "match refresh to source" resulted in some breakage so people were needi gt o run the desktop in 24P or there were playback problems with 23.976 content.

Also with 'sync to display' I believe there are still audio dropouts with HD audio material.
"match refresh" was fixed long ago, you can run gui @ 60Hz no problem. Sync to display should not be used, Haswell can output close to perfect 24p so no need as it will cause problems with HD audio.
(2014-02-26, 13:27)arokh Wrote: Sync to display should not be used

please stop saying this, you are wrong: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1592774
Oposite to what?
oposite to "sync to display should not be used" or oposite to "haswell can output close to perfect 24p" Huh
(2014-02-26, 17:30)Crssi Wrote: Oposite to what?
oposite to "sync to display should not be used" or oposite to "haswell can output close to perfect 24p" Huh

updated my post. the devs had said that sync playback should be enabled despite haswell's near perfect 24p capabilities out of the box.
Yes. Enable it and follow the osd - haswell will pretty well do exactly 23.976 fps with it enabled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-26, 17:38)fritsch Wrote: Yes. Enable it and follow the osd - haswell will pretty well do exactly 23.976 fps with it enabled.

Fritsch, so I thought I saw earlier posts that with Haswell and "sync to display" there were still audio dropouts with HD audio content. Is this fixed in latest Frodo nightlies or is it fixed in Gotham?
Works perfectly fine on my Haswell Celeron 1820T with gotham of course. Frodo was a nightmare :-)
(2014-02-26, 18:55)fritsch Wrote: Works perfectly fine on my Haswell Celeron 1820T with gotham of course. Frodo was a nightmare :-)

Thanks for the info, this is good to know, might have to break down and give Haswell a shot now.
  • 154(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7