• 156(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
that make sense, i see now why my avr lipsync have 0 effect on my setup.
thank you for clearing it up for me.
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
Hi all,

Sylvia_intel reports that there's a brand new driver to address audio issues. This is for Windows. Please give it a try if you've been having pass-through or other audio issues:

https://communities.intel.com/message/225579#225579

Jason
@frarev:

I talked with bob. Playing 23.976 fps content at a perfect 23.9756 refreshrate will work perfect, as the clocks match and nothing needs to be dropped / duped. If you play 23.976 fps content at 24.0 hz you have a big problem when passthroughin cause that will get you a whole lot of drops and dupes. I would not use passthrough in that case, then you could resample audio. If you really need passthrough - then you have to set the Method to Audio Clock.

Users where the GPU cannot do correct 23.976 fps, have a big problem, cause the clocks will always differ. I can only suggest to not use passthrough in that case, if you want both perfect smooth picture and no drops / dupes in audio.

You can verify what your TV is really doing by running xbmc-xrandr and check the output. Most TVs display 24 for both the 23.976 and 24 hz mode.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-27, 21:50)fritsch Wrote: @frarev:

I talked with bob. Playing 23.9758 fps content at a perfect 23.9758 refreshrate will work perfect, as the clocks match and nothing needs to be dropped / duped. If you play 23.9758 fps content at 24.0 hz you have a big problem when passthroughin cause that will get you a whole lot of drops and dupes. I would not use passthrough in that case, then you could resample audio. If you really need passthrough - then you have to set the Method to Audio Clock.

Users where the GPU cannot do correct 23.9758 fps, have a big problem, cause the clocks will always differ. I can only suggest to not use passthrough in that case, if you want both perfect smooth picture and no drops / dupes in audio.

You can verify what your TV is really doing by running xbmc-xrandr and check the output. Most TVs display 24 for both the 23.9758 and 24 hz mode.

Thank you for this great info.
The display I have I specifically went looking for something that can do perfect 24p (Sammy C series), and 24p content now works flawlessly in passthru in XBMC. So happy about that, finally!
I also have a Samsung. On linux that is not an issue anymore since fractional modelines were included by default (kernel 3.11.x). Only problem left is with nvidia - they need a special xorg.conf, cause by default they don't have a 24.0 mode nor a 23.976 mode, just a fucked up 23.9701 one.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

I talked with bob. Playing 23.976 fps content at a perfect 23.9756 refreshrate will work perfect, as the clocks match and nothing needs to be dropped / duped. If you play 23.976 fps content at 24.0 hz you have a big problem when passthroughin cause that will get you a whole lot of drops and dupes. I would not use passthrough in that case, then you could resample audio. If you really need passthrough - then you have to set the Method to Audio Clock.

Users where the GPU cannot do correct 23.976 fps, have a big problem, cause the clocks will always differ. I can only suggest to not use passthrough in that case, if you want both perfect smooth picture and no drops / dupes in audio.

You can verify what your TV is really doing by running xbmc-xrandr and check the output. Most TVs display 24 for both the 23.976 and 24 hz mode.

It would be highly suspicious if his TV insisted on 24.00 instead of 23.976. Virtually every TV out there that does "24P" does both 24.000 and 23.976.
+1 - but there are in deed some plasmas, that do "special things", curious.

You can boot up an OpenELEC and get the xbmc-xrandr output there, if your current OS does not provide such detailed information.
(2014-02-27, 22:59)fritsch Wrote: +1 - but there are in deed some plasmas, that do "special things", curious.

You can boot up an OpenELEC and get the xbmc-xrandr output there, if your current OS does not provide such detailed information.

yes, xbmc-rander is the savior here for sure. hopefully some of the OE weirdness with getting wrong refresh rates from the EDID info is resolved in Gotham so we don't have to tweak it manually any more.
That's not an OE issue. If a TV / AVR sends wrong Modelines, Xorg will pick them up. That won't be solved in xbmc for sure. OE has latest Xorg / drivers / kernel that exist in OSS world.
(2014-02-27, 23:11)fritsch Wrote: That's not an OE issue. If a TV / AVR sends wrong Modelines, Xorg will pick them up. That won't be solved in xbmc for sure. OE has latest Xorg / drivers / kernel that exist in OSS world.

Ah, I see. I thought problem was on OE end. My VT30 plasma reports the 23.976 modeline as far as I know but it never gets configured, I have to do it manually, at least in Frodo.
Post xbmc-xrandr please :-)

You need to enable "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" for it to work of course. I always choose "On Start / Stop" here, so that it does not switch back, when I just want to look through the menus.
(2014-02-27, 23:21)fritsch Wrote: Post xbmc-xrandr please :-)

You need to enable "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" for it to work of course. I always choose "On Start / Stop" here, so that it does not switch back, when I just want to look through the menus.

I will hold off till I get a new NUC and get OE reinstalled and determine if it got configured or not. Also worth noting goes through Onkyo 818 AVR too!

Big Grin
Guys, just a follow-up to my previous post about finally pulling the trigger on one of these. A couple of brief questions that I hope someone is willing to answer;

1. For those who have both this new Haswell i3 and the Celeron Haswell, is the i3 performance enough of a boost to justify the $100+ price difference of the i3 over the Celeron?
2. How good is the IR sensitivity (I have a IR module in use right now that has marginal sensitivity)? I have an IR booster but I'd prefer not to use it.
3. Any other "gotchas" for those who are running OE and want good (near perfect) quality playback of MKV files (full lossless audio and original video) ripped from BDs?

Thanks!

Well, it seems that Video clock Drop/Dupe audio Is the best option for me for 23.something Fps. I have a perfect smooth video play and audio is OK.

This is few lines of my OpenElec Frodo logs :
- CVideoReferenceClock: Clock speed 100.100000% : so the option works if I quite understand Fritsch's explanation
- Every 30s (approx) i have CDVDPlayerAudio:: Skipping 1 packet(s) of 32.00 ms duration
- I have Audiophile switch enabled
- i have RAW passthrough enabled

But for other Fps like 25fps or 29.970 Fps it's horrible. Big stuttering. Bad we can't activate or not the option according fps with AdvancedSettings.xml for instance.

Anyway, thanks for explanations that help to understand how XBMC options work.
(2014-02-27, 20:22)JasonHoffman Wrote: Hi all,

Sylvia_intel reports that there's a brand new driver to address audio issues. This is for Windows. Please give it a try if you've been having pass-through or other audio issues:

https://communities.intel.com/message/225579#225579

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the update. After recent driver update I can confirm that my audio problems with TrueHD and DTS-HD sounds are resolved. I am using D34010WYK with Win 8.1.

Before this drivers my videos started stuttering with either of the above sound formats.

Thanks for the info.
  • 156(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7