• 166(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-03-08, 22:45)sfleck Wrote:
Quote:I'm using xbmc over Linux Mint 16 - Mint is extremely intuitive to use, the Cinnamon desktop in Mint, for me, is a lot easier to adapt to (if you are a Windows user) than the Unity desktop
It is really simple to install and set-up. Comes with Firefox but you can easily add whatever browser you prefer (Opera or Chrome or more)

http://download.intel.com/support/mother...de_v02.pdf

there's intel's guide for installing Mint and Frodo XBMC along with IR Setup

Do they also have to workaround the IR not working as it should without a little hack? Smile (loading it twice)
Hi guys.

Expect the F2 entering BIOS problem resolution in forthcomming BIOS over next few weeks. Wink
(2014-03-10, 18:36)Crssi Wrote: Hi guys.

Expect the F2 entering BIOS problem resolution in forthcomming BIOS over next few weeks. Wink

I hadn't seen that reported as issue - however I found that with my little gearhead wireless KB, it would not work;
however hooking up my Logitech (K350) full size wireless KB/Mouse works fine; so I put that dongle in when I need to access the BIOS

Is that essentially the issue? Some will not be recognized at boot?

I have the same problem so a fix would be very appreciated. However, I borrowed a pc monitor that worked in order to disable wake on lan. So I don't expect to change any bios settings in the near future.
If you have NUC connected over AVR, then you can workaround to attach directly to TV for BIOS purposes, probably.
(2014-03-09, 19:52)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-09, 19:40)Jorgensen Wrote: ...Now the NUC is connected to an Onkyo amp via HDMI and also HDMI between the amp and the TV.

OK - so if NUC is now directly connected to the amp via hdmi, can you just try to play the file directly in the videos app or VLC (if you have that installed) without playing it out of xbmc (with sound settings on NUC set to hdmi5.1) ?
Appreciated!

I don't have VLC installed. And I am not sure what you mean by video app. Unless it is a xbmc add-on, I'm afraid I can't help you, since I am running Ubuntu server version.
There is a std app in Ubuntu called Totem - if you just double click on the file in whatever directory its in, it should open with whatever your default app is in your OS.
Alternatively open totem and select the file.
(2014-03-10, 09:52)nickr Wrote: Here I go again - this thread seems to imply that someone successfully built this driver into openelec https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2835

Yep, that's me. Smile I actually just compiled the OpenELEC with a 3.14-rc1 kernel (which had its own issues though) and some other people confirmed that this works ok with PCTV 461e that is supported in 3.14. The OE devs responded to me that OE 4.0 is planned to be released with kernel 3.14 in case it does not cause any additional problems. I'd expect the final 3.14 release to come out in a couple of weeks (Linus says maybe rc8 and rc9 are needed still).

Hoping really that OE4 comes with 3.14 out of the box, since at least two interesting DVB tuners are supported in 3.14. I've got myself a 461e on order now.

chaos2oo2, if you're in desperate need of the 3.14 kernel, I could compile a recent OE with 3.14-rc6 kernel for you?
(2014-03-10, 22:01)trsqr Wrote: I actually just compiled the OpenELEC with a 3.14-rc1 kernel (which had its own issues though) and some other people confirmed that this works ok with PCTV 461e that is supported in 3.14. The OE devs responded to me that OE 4.0 is planned to be released with kernel 3.14 in case it does not cause any additional problems. I'd expect the final 3.14 release to come out in a couple of weeks (Linus says maybe rc8 and rc9 are needed still).

Hoping really that OE4 comes with 3.14 out of the box, since at least two interesting DVB tuners are supported in 3.14. I've got myself a 461e on order now.

chaos2oo2, if you're in desperate need of the 3.14 kernel, I could compile a recent OE with 3.14-rc6 kernel for you?

Those are great news! As software engineer im interested in compiling the OE with the RC 3.14 myself. :-D but thank you
How long does it take to compile on the i3 nuc?
As long as a piece of string.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-11, 10:47)nickr Wrote: As long as a piece of string.

Not long then?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Are they going to fix the power button not turning on the system? The only way to fix is apparently to try resetting the CMOS which is underneath the PCB
(2014-03-08, 01:06)frarev Wrote: You have a very recent A/V Receiver that can decode nearly all audio formats, as my yamaha 3020 (last generation).

Personnaly, I prefer to use Passthrough for all formats, specially DTS, because those Yamaha do a great job for that.

So, I only activate Adjust display to match video and Audio Passthrough : I have smooth video on Openelec beta 4 without stuttering (i had few little stuttering with Frodo) and audio is decoded as DTS or DTH-HD for instance in the Yamaha.

With the turn around of the advanced Settings (audio delay), I get well synchronized sound on video.

So all is perfect for now !

I have also my TV name that appears in the Sound System of XBCM.

Hi thanks for the info.
Honestly I also think my AVR would decode the audio stream better than anything else (as it is dedicated for that task), so I'll put everything in passthrough. I have had a few stuttering issues with Xvid encoded videos, so I'll try the video sync options to see which one works fine. I didn't touch the audo delay of my AVR which is on "auto" I guess. Is there a standard audio delay to set for the NUC?

(2014-03-10, 19:02)DEcosse Wrote:

I hadn't seen that reported as issue - however I found that with my little gearhead wireless KB, it would not work;
however hooking up my Logitech (K350) full size wireless KB/Mouse works fine; so I put that dongle in when I need to access the BIOS

Is that essentially the issue? Some will not be recognized at boot?

I had this (very frightening) issue when installing the NUC for the first time after updating the BIOS. I don't know how it solved itself but now I can enter the BIOS with F2. The only thing I changed is pluggin the keyboard on the front usb instead of the rear ones.
(2014-03-11, 15:52)focke_oeuf Wrote: Hi thanks for the info.
Honestly I also think my AVR would decode the audio stream better than anything else (as it is dedicated for that task), so I'll put everything in passthrough. I have had a few stuttering issues with Xvid encoded videos, so I'll try the video sync options to see which one works fine. I didn't touch the audo delay of my AVR which is on "auto" I guess. Is there a standard audio delay to set for the NUC?

Yes, you're right, I was talking about H264 movie. I have 2 or 3 xvid and they have stuttering : a little (watchable) or a lot (unwatchable). But mainly, my movies library is in H264.

About the sound, according my experience, let your Yamaha in Automatic for LipSync, and cancel all the OpenElec defaut delay (that seems to be only available for old installations) : I spent some time to undertand why my 30 fps movie were perfectly synchronised and why my 23.976 fps TV show was not. I found this article that explains how to cancel and reset all default audio delay : http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/57509-24p-audio-delay

I found this file containing different test files with various FPS : with this, i could check that 23-24 fps had a 175 ms delay.

With the explanations http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/57509-24p-audio-delay and those files, I checked after that my audio synchronisation was good.
(2014-03-10, 20:25)DEcosse Wrote: There is a std app in Ubuntu called Totem - if you just double click on the file in whatever directory its in, it should open with whatever your default app is in your OS.
Alternatively open totem and select the file.

That, I can't help you with. In Ubuntu Server version there is no GUI/Desktop Environment installed.
  • 166(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7