• 167(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-03-11, 12:24)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-03-11, 10:47)nickr Wrote: As long as a piece of string.

Not long then?
The last time I compiled openelec, the first run through took quite a while as it involved downloading all the source code. I think it completed overnight on an i7 with 8G ram, although the exact timing I cannot recall.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-11, 09:10)chaos2oo2 Wrote: Those are great news! As software engineer im interested in compiling the OE with the RC 3.14 myself. :-D but thank you
How long does it take to compile on the i3 nuc?

I actually compiled the OE with my i3 NUC. I have a USB hard drive that I use to reboot my NUC into a development platform. I think it took around 6 hours to compile OE + about the equal amount to understand how to change the kernel to 3.14. Smile I also had an issue with the compilation of Nvidia drivers failing with 3.14-rc1, but I think that has been fixed in those drivers already.
I'm using OpenElec Gotham Beta1 on NUC D54250WYK.

I read somewhere that Gotham should include a parameter for the color RGB space : 0-255 or 16-235. Sorry if i've missed something but where is this parameter ?

Do we still need to use the xrandr command : xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" for the intel NUC ?

Thanks for information
@frarev

Set OE to EXPERT mode. You can find this option in every settings tab at the bottom on the left side (at least in the standard skin and afaik).
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
So i'm totally new to Linux/Ubuntu. I have been running w8 on my i3 for some time and wanted to try something new. I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 and got everything slowly up and running. I had some trouble with the CIR but got it to work after some time.

With help of this thread and this: https://communities.intel.com/message/225366 , I installed the LIRC package and added the code below to the startup script. No idea what did the trick but it works now Big Grin

Code:
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

MY PROBLEM: It's receiving the signals but responding pretty slow compared to w8, I have absolutely no idear what to do about it..

My remote is the Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Windows Media Center SE configuration.
Does anyone have their i3 NUC doing live HD TV? DVB-T2 or DVB-S2? Is it working ok for you?

I've got a problem with the HD channels. The reception is perfect and no errors can be seen when I just watch the channel. However, as soon as I pop up a menu that is overlaid on top of the tv reception, I start to get a lot of errors in Tvheadend and the stream gets pixelated. This applies also to any recording that I might have going on, so it's not just the stream that's displayed. Continuity counter errors in the tvheadend logs can be seen, which usually are due to bad hardware or bad reception.

I have tried OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 1 with Gotham, Ubuntu with Frodo, Tvheadend 3.4 and 3.9, but the problem stays the same. I've got a PCTV 290e tuner. SD channels are fine. I don't understand what happens when I show the menus. The CPU load goes up a bit, but not that much. I've tried different deinterlacing methods etc, but no luck. I can't think of anything else than some resource issue on my PC, but it's hard to say what. If I watch a channel and log in to the box with ssh and try to load the CPU as much as possible, there's no issue with the stream.
Does anybody know of compatible easily available RAM (4GB total) that would be available at a place like NCIX? I looked at the i3 Haswell NUC compatible memory list and it's all obscure parts that I can't find locally

I'd only want 4GB, anything more seems wasteful
Just search for DDR3L and you get some good choices. What about this one:
http://products.ncix.com/detail/corsair-...-88890.htm
trsqr - Would this one work and be a good choice? It's available along with the NUC itself not even 10 minutes from my house

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=066758

Thanks again!
Can't see why not. In general the mainboard manufacturers (Intel in this case) cannot test all possible memory chips available from all vendors, so you won't find all models on their compatibility list. As long as the specifications match, it should be ok. Kingston is a known memory manufacturer as well, so I'd say go for it. With the Haswell NUCs it's important to pay attention to the voltage, it must be 1.35 volts, whereas most of the chips are 1.5 volts. Googling "KVR16LS11/4 NUC" seems to indicate that there are several people running that particular memory with their NUCs.
(2014-03-12, 18:32)micoba Wrote: @frarev

Set OE to EXPERT mode. You can find this option in every settings tab at the bottom on the left side (at least in the standard skin and afaik).

Thanks !
(2014-03-12, 20:45)trsqr Wrote: Does anyone have their i3 NUC doing live HD TV? DVB-T2 or DVB-S2? Is it working ok for you?

I've got a problem with the HD channels. The reception is perfect and no errors can be seen when I just watch the channel. However, as soon as I pop up a menu that is overlaid on top of the tv reception, I start to get a lot of errors in Tvheadend and the stream gets pixelated. This applies also to any recording that I might have going on, so it's not just the stream that's displayed. Continuity counter errors in the tvheadend logs can be seen, which usually are due to bad hardware or bad reception.

I have tried OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 1 with Gotham, Ubuntu with Frodo, Tvheadend 3.4 and 3.9, but the problem stays the same. I've got a PCTV 290e tuner. SD channels are fine. I don't understand what happens when I show the menus. The CPU load goes up a bit, but not that much. I've tried different deinterlacing methods etc, but no luck. I can't think of anything else than some resource issue on my PC, but it's hard to say what. If I watch a channel and log in to the box with ssh and try to load the CPU as much as possible, there's no issue with the stream.

Hi!

I have i3 tall version with dvb-t and dvb-s2 card (PCTV 461e). No problem whatsoever with both SD and HD channels as long as i have a good reception.
My OS is Archlinux and my backend is VDR and frontend Gotham from FernetMenta's repo which includes vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing.
Hi.

I must admit, I haven't looked through all 167 pages, though I guess the answer to this will be somewhere in there. I do though hope for a quick answer here.

I am looking into buying a Intel NUC for HTPC, and I wonder how they will do. I am in no doubt that the i5-version will be able to handle all the different tasks I would use it for, but I am in doubt with the i3.

How is it when it is running XMBC? I plan to run a Windows 8.1 OS on the machine, for being able to run Netflix and Viaplay (Scandinavian alternative to services like Netflix).

D34010WYK (Intel i3-4010U / HD4400 Graphics)
D54250WYK (Intel i5-4250U / HD5000 Graphics)

And what about the Celeron (DN2820FYKH) one? Is that any good?

I intended do nothing on the machine besides running XBMC, and as mentioned, some streaming apps, but no gaming or anything. I intend to have a server with a file share, which can handle different tasks too. I do though, like when my XBMC looks nice, with a pretty skin and nice looks and features, and I definitely want it to run smooth when scrolling through movie-covers.

Regards
Hi
Please I need a little help to choose between Intel nuc i3 vs celeron

Right now I have I think the first generation black i3 with openelec os

Everything working good
But the problem my nuc inside closet and the temperature go up to 80 degree

So I think I have to bring it outside the closet or buy small fan stand to cool up the nuc

And for now I want to buy 2 nuc for other room and it will stick it behind tv

But I'm confused about the 4th generation 2.5 HDD i3 or the celeron with 2.5 Hdd
I will use only SSD

But I need the 2.5 HDD because it's bigger case I think will be less heat inside and better airflow

my video 720p and 1080p files size between 3 gig and 6 gig
No 3d or Bluray
Play from synology nas

So which one you recommend to work with less heat and can work for long time without temperature go so high and play 720p and 1080p without any problems

I really like the i3 performance but the temperature make me think again about the celeron version but I need to know if I buy the celeron I will not lose to much speed of i3 on openelec os

Thank you and sorry for my bad English
I'm in the NUC club!! Bought the Haswell i3 kit tonight, just installed Windows 7 on it now, working on getting all drivers going
  • 167(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7