• 58(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
(2014-03-13, 22:07)Mafarricos Wrote: How do you update kernel firmware? I run the update firmware in first page but that's for GPU?

On xbmc I get Linux 3.10.24, how is suppose to update to kernel 3.10.32? Rpi-update doesn't work in raspbmc, sorry for noob question, but I'm not understanding what update to make to get newer kernel.
You only need a new kernel for Hifiberry.
Like Miappa said, IMHO it's not recommended to do rpi-update, because it will bring an updated general kernel, not an updated tweaked Raspbmc kernel.

(2014-03-13, 21:33)Irisheyes Wrote:
(2014-03-13, 17:11)ElectricPim Wrote: You need also a new kernel. 3.10.32 (dpi-update)
I'm running 3.10.33+, dated Mar 7th...
So your Hifiberry is working with aplay?

After ALSA I pasted in advancedsettings what was returned by:
Code:
aplay -L
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audiooutput>
        <audiodevice>ALSA:sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry</audiodevice>
</audiooutput>
<video>
   <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
          <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
        </video>
</advancedsettings>

I also crosscompiled an 3.10.33+ kernel for Raspbmc with tweaked settings for Hifiberry. After reboot the Hifiberry is available under audio devices in the XBMC settings.
Some asked for it, so you can find it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4aywd3w7xrd96y7/V1xIfzhA4p

Please , only use it if necessary (HifiBerry), I won't help testing here if everybody uses different kernels.
@RustyTongueRing
You should be fine without doing anything else than the installation instruction.
(2014-03-14, 20:37)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-14, 18:54)namtih Wrote: New log: http://pastebin.com/G5NqfxCb
Another YouTube video without voices/speaking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehxukMAoe0
No audio options: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3561/...gp_jpg.htm

Okay, I see the issue. It only affects the lower quality 640x360 vp8/vorbis version. The 1280x720 h264/aac doesn't have the problem.
I've downloaded the bad version so should be able to investigate.

A fix for bad audio with vorbis has been pushed to newclock3.
(2014-03-13, 22:36)miappa Wrote: Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Mar 12 + newclock3 commits + additional commits.

Some info:
• NC3: [dvdplayer] Use inexact seeking like omxplayer
• NC3: [omxcodec] More care with dropping frames quickly
• NC3: Make use of TrueHD fastpath when downmixing (saves about 50% of the CPU required)
• NC3: New test for Airplay and IOS 7 clients
• Additional/SQLite: Updated SQLite version
• Additional/SQLite: Use mmap to accelerate SQLite file accesses
• Additional: Fix memory leakage in python bindings
• Additional: DVD various fixes related to libdvdnav issues and skip to menu

Firmware from March 12 included.
Recommendations, requirements and additional info (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

NB!
Firmware is now included in the build and installation process so no need to manually update firmware!
Also, you do not need to use Raspbmc settings to switch build, it will automatically switch build and reboot.

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
wget -O xbmc-13-20140313-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/uq3tuu --no-check-certificate
pv xbmc-13-20140313-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C /home/pi/.upgrade
sudo cp /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140313-nc3/{fixup_x.dat,start_x.elf} /boot
ln -sfn /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140313-nc3/xbmc-bcm /home/pi/.xbmc-current
cd /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140313-nc3/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
sudo reboot

This was perhaps the least painful upgrade ever! The only thing I added to the above was, just before doing "sudo reboot":
Code:
rm ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Also, I much prefer this method of upgrading. I like that I can see all the changes happening, rather than running some UI script making unknown changes. Upgrading the firmware is as simple as copying two files. I did not know firmware upgrade was that easy on the Pi... usually firmware upgrades involve pushing code to the motherboard and praying the power doesn't go out or a solar flare doesn't erupt. This was dead simple.

I did have to connect a keyboard just to re-enable the remote web interface (my only XBMC remote is an old Android phone). After that, it was pretty easy to set the settings I like:
720 max GUI resolution (menu is a bit more responsive)
RSS disabled (only for performance reasons)
"Programs" menu hidden (to avoid small hands from changing RaspBMC settings or launching the Arora Browser (BTW why can't we just remove Arora completely? I have absolutely NO use for it))

The YouTube add-on works! I made NO changes to configuration, and don't notice any of the sound problems reported above. This is a HUGE improvement over 20131219 which I was running previously. YouTube was completely broken on that build.

And, of course, the most important part for me: streaming SD and HD content, over a 802.11g WiFi bridge running DD-WRT, using NFS + UDP + 8192 rsize, is working consistently! This was a MAJOR pain point for me... I had issues with content pausing, locking, or just plain not downloading fast enough from the NFS server. I have a separate post that goes into far more detail on this, but suffice to say it's WAY WAY WAY better now.

Of course, as many of us already know, the RaspberryPi will not play DivX 3 content. It plays audio only, no video. This is a known issue with the Pi and DivX 3, and is due to licensing (or, lack thereof). Now that I have a working setup, I'm going to convert these all. I have loads of them.

I do still have a few 1080p h264 titles with some really high-def scenes that don't play well. There is one scene in particular, about 8 minutes into a Sci-Fi movie from 2 years ago, that has lots of dots moving around on the screen for about 1 minute. This scene does not play, but it's not specific to this build or the RaspberryPi... this scene uses lots of resources and is choppy even playing via gigabit ethernet on BoxeeBox.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this build. I'll continue testing it in the coming days and report any issues I find.

Thanks to everyone who helped code, build, test, and instruct!

UPDATE:
I did notice one bug. This build doesn't seem to respect the cachemembuffersize I have set in advancedsettings.xml. I have a RaspberryPi Model B with 512MB RAM. I did NOT adjust my config.txt to gpu_mem=256. Everything looks to be working as expected with gpu_mem=128. So, If I want to cache to memory, with 372 MB available, then a setting of 100MB should use 3 times that, or 300 MB (Can somebody please explain WHY using memory for cache buffer is supposed to use triple the RAM?? My testing on 20131219 does NOT support this.)

With the following advancesettings.xml, I see the cache fill up to only ~60MB, not ~100 as I was seeing on 20131219. When I do "free -m" I show plenty of available memory, so I would love to use it for cache buffer.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<!--  <loglevel>1</loglevel> -->
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
<!-- Set cachemembuffersize to 0 to use disk -->
<!-- Only applies if buffermode is 1 and XBMC version is 13+ -->
<!--    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> -->
<!--    <cachemembuffersize>89128960</cachemembuffersize> -->
        <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>1.0</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Has anyone else seen this? It's not causing a major issue except when there's a high-action scene that lasts longer than the cache buffer. I want memory caching instead of disk caching: I see a noticeable performance hit using disk caching. Not only that, I'd prefer to not kill my SD card with too much activity.

Thanks again.
RaspberryPi Model B
gpu_mem=256
overclock = Fast
xbmc-13-20140313-nc3
(2014-03-15, 16:48)CaptainRewind Wrote: Of course, as many of us already know, the RaspberryPi will not play DivX 3 content. It plays audio only, no video. This is a known issue with the Pi and DivX 3, and is due to licensing (or, lack thereof). Now that I have a working setup, I'm going to convert these all. I have loads of them.
Have you tried context-menu "play using dvdplayer" ?

Quote:I do still have a few 1080p h264 titles with some really high-def scenes that don't play well. There is one scene in particular, about 8 minutes into a Sci-Fi movie from 2 years ago, that has lots of dots moving around on the screen for about 1 minute. This scene does not play, but it's not specific to this build or the RaspberryPi... this scene uses lots of resources and is choppy even playing via gigabit ethernet on BoxeeBox.
Sounds like the Prometheus dream sequence, which much like the "birds" sample has a bitrate spike that goes through the roof.

Quote:I did notice one bug. This build doesn't seem to respect the cachemembuffersize I have set in advancedsettings.xml. I have a RaspberryPi Model B with 512MB RAM. I did NOT adjust my config.txt to gpu_mem=256. Everything looks to be working as expected with gpu_mem=128. So, If I want to cache to memory, with 372 MB available, then a setting of 100MB should use 3 times that, or 300 MB (Can somebody please explain WHY using memory for cache buffer is supposed to use triple the RAM?? My testing on 20131219 does NOT support this.)

With the following advancesettings.xml, I see the cache fill up to only ~60MB, not ~100 as I was seeing on 20131219.

Unfortunately this is a new "feature", not a bug. I did try to resist it, but it came in here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3963

Basically half the cache is unused for mkv and mp4 files.
Quote:Upgrading the firmware is as simple as copying two files.
You don´t need to do that anymore as the firmware files are included in the builds from now on.
You can still do it if you want to update firmware only though.
(2014-03-11, 17:40)miappa Wrote: • NC3: [hifiberry] Hack to enable passthrough options (new kernel still needed)

How do we actually test passthrough for Hifiberry?
And what should it do: better sound, or less CPU.
(2014-03-15, 17:52)ElectricPim Wrote: How do we actually test passthrough for Hifiberry?
And what should it do: better sound, or less CPU.

Do you have a HifiBerry Digi? The HifiBerry DAC doesn't support passthrough.
Passthrough means less cpu, and multichannel (e.g. 5.1) is possible.
Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Mar 15 + newclock3 commits + additional commits.

Some info:
• Master: Many fixes, and some nc3 + additional PR´s has gone into master (changelog)
• NC3: [PiSink] Reset channel mapping and passthrough options on exit
• NC3: [omxplayer] Avoid concatenating vorbis files
• Additional/SQLite: Updated SQLite version
• Additional/SQLite: Use mmap to accelerate SQLite file accesses
• Additional: DVD various fixes related to libdvdnav issues and skip to menu

Firmware from March 15 included (no need to update separately):
• Changes for high frame rate modes and full FOV preview modes for stills
• HDMI: fix for 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz output rates

Additional info and testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
wget -O xbmc-13-20140315-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/pxeqE9 --no-check-certificate
pv xbmc-13-20140315-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C /home/pi/.upgrade
sudo cp /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140315-nc3/{fixup_x.dat,start_x.elf} /boot
ln -sfn /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140315-nc3/xbmc-bcm /home/pi/.xbmc-current
cd /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140315-nc3/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
sudo reboot
(2014-03-15, 17:15)popcornmix Wrote: Have you tried context-menu "play using dvdplayer" ?
No, I read a post by you, popcornmix, that said something like "DivX 3 will never play on the Pi" so just wrote it off. I'll try it and report back.

(2014-03-15, 17:15)popcornmix Wrote: Sounds like the Prometheus dream sequence, which much like the "birds" sample has a bitrate spike that goes through the roof.
I take it I'm not the first to report issues with bitrate spikes on specific content. 'Nuff said on the exact title in that case.

I'm guessing you mean the "Birds" sample here? That won't even play all the way through in VLC on Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (which isn't exactly optimized for video playback)
http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-high-bitrat...le-videos/

I suppose I can try Overclock of "Super" but the cache buffer issue is still a concern. The only way I can get it to even come close to playing that scene (still with some very brief skips) is to copy the file to the SDHC card and play with caching disabled.

(2014-03-15, 17:15)popcornmix Wrote: Unfortunately this is a new "feature", not a bug. I did try to resist it, but it came in here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3963

Basically half the cache is unused for mkv and mp4 files.
You did try, I see that. Some days I wish the Pi had 1 GB of RAM but then it wouldn't be $35. At least now I know why this is happening, though I agree it might be more of a sacrifice than benefit. I only hope an advancedsettings.xml option is added to disable this.

(2014-03-15, 17:37)miappa Wrote: You don´t need to do that anymore as the firmware files are included in the builds from now on.
You can still do it if you want to update firmware only though.
I just followed your commands, and it was dead simple. I just meant that I'm used to the term "update firmware" meaning something akin to updating BIOS on a PC, or radio firmware on Android phones. Simply putting 2 files where they are needed on the SD card makes this far less "worrisome" I suppose. If I'm understanding this right, a bad firmware flash (but no damage or corruption of the SD card) simply means all you need to do is reboot if the power goes out (as opposed to having a brick).
RaspberryPi Model B
gpu_mem=256
overclock = Fast
xbmc-13-20140313-nc3
After applying post 864 instructions,
xbmc doesn't start anymore automatically but I've to run xbmc.bin from ssh terminal
@poisons
Should work, nothing different from any previous installs (except for firmware which would be completely unrelated).

What´s your setup?
Did the installation complete without errors?
Perhaps you didn´t compile libdvdcss as explained in post#1 (didn´t think that this could cause it though, but it could).
A debug log and syslog might show something.
Raspbmc version?

It sounds weird unless you have some specific setup.
If XBMC didn´t start at all I would understand (something wrong), but the xbmc watchdog script should start XBMC no matter what.
(2014-03-15, 19:02)CaptainRewind Wrote: I'm guessing you mean the "Birds" sample here? That won't even play all the way through in VLC on Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (which isn't exactly optimized for video playback)
Played perfectly for me. (I am overclocked).

Quote:If I'm understanding this right, a bad firmware flash (but no damage or corruption of the SD card) simply means all you need to do is reboot if the power goes out (as opposed to having a brick).

Yes, you can't brick a Pi. If the files on fat partition are intact it will reboot. If they are corrupted (e.g. by cutting power when updating them) you just need to re-copy the files using windows and sdcard reader.
(2014-03-15, 17:15)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 16:48)CaptainRewind Wrote: Of course, as many of us already know, the RaspberryPi will not play DivX 3 content. It plays audio only, no video. This is a known issue with the Pi and DivX 3, and is due to licensing (or, lack thereof). Now that I have a working setup, I'm going to convert these all. I have loads of them.
Have you tried context-menu "play using dvdplayer" ?
Using dvdplayer plays the DivX 3 files! Is it possible to specify a different default player depending on the file? Either way, this saves me from converting DivX 3 files.

(2014-03-15, 19:30)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 19:02)CaptainRewind Wrote: I'm guessing you mean the "Birds" sample here? That won't even play all the way through in VLC on Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (which isn't exactly optimized for video playback)
Played perfectly for me. (I am overclocked).
I am overclocked to "Fast." I'll try the Birds sample on Super, but a big part of the problem with the sci-fi video I mentioned above is the cache buffer over an 802.11g WiFi link, a problem which is now exacerbated by the cache buffer being reduced by 40%. It's not ideal.

If I copy to the SD card and disable caching, even on "Fast," it plays but skips a TINY bit. I suspect if I combine that with Super it would not skip.

(2014-03-15, 19:30)popcornmix Wrote: Yes, you can't brick a Pi. If the files on fat partition are intact it will reboot. If they are corrupted (e.g. by cutting power when updating them) you just need to re-copy the files using windows and sdcard reader.
I always boot my laptop into Linux if I have an operation that requires shutting down the Pi and manipulating data on the SD card. I find it far more reliable than 3rd-party ext4 Windows libraries.

Thanks again.
RaspberryPi Model B
gpu_mem=256
overclock = Fast
xbmc-13-20140313-nc3
(2014-03-15, 19:39)CaptainRewind Wrote: Using dvdplayer plays the DivX 3 files! Is it possible to specify a different default player depending on the file? Either way, this saves me from converting DivX 3 files.

Unfortunately xbmc doesn't allow that degree of control (if it were just looking at the file extension, it would be easier, but you do have to open the player to parse the file to make this decision).
There is a long term plan to merge omxplayer and dvdplayer, which may make automatic switching like this possible, but that won't happen for a long time and will involve refactoring a lot of dvdplayer code which may be hard to get accepted.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15