£60 to get xbmc on my tv?
VNSI works fine on the Pi (albeit its slow to get the menu up with 800 odd channels, I really do need to organize)
@Saner: then I assume the backend is running somewhere other than on the Pi?
tvheadend runs fine on a pi - pvr backend requires very little cpu, unless you are looking to do transcoding and the like.
All I want to do is use mashup to watch the footy... Is the pi good enough for that?

And films..
Sorry, no support for mashup or any piracy addons here - need to take that else where.
My bad. Is the pi any good for normal live tv?
(2014-03-17, 19:39)prae5 Wrote: tvheadend runs fine on a pi - pvr backend requires very little cpu, unless you are looking to do transcoding and the like.

Though I think this depends on your TV tuner solution. The Pi had pretty major issues with a large number of USB DVB tuners because of USB driver issues. These have been worked on, and more DVB-T sticks now appear to work. However the workhorse DVB-T2 tuner, required for HD OTA in the UK, Sweden etc., the PCTV 290e, had issues even with USB fixes last time I checked. (Continuity errors causing frequency picture break-ups) Was a real pity - I switched to a GoFlex Net running TVHeadend instead as my backend (which also had a SATA interface so was a good fit in PVR terms)
I tested a PCTV 290e on a pic before i moved it to my main pvr server - can't say i noticed any issues with it on the pi
Anyone had any experience with the atv1200?
(2014-03-17, 22:42)prae5 Wrote: I tested a PCTV 290e on a pic before i moved it to my main pvr server - can't say i noticed any issues with it on the pi

How much of the T2 HD muxes did you watch? Even with the recent kernels I get continuity errors on my Pi watching PSB3 (BBC/ITV/C4 HD) and COM7 (BBC and Al Jazeera HD) . It was pretty solid on the lower bitrate T SD muxes on PSB1&2 and COM4,5&6. Same signal, same tuner feeding a PogoPlug, an x86 box and a GoFlex Net were all fine with the T2 stuff.
(2014-03-17, 19:15)negge Wrote: @Saner: then I assume the backend is running somewhere other than on the Pi?

Sorry, yes, disregard me then. I really was not thinking when I posted that Smile
@Johno_c
I think the ATV1200 (Amlogic based) is one of the good choices.

I bought Minix Neo G4 4 months ago,
first i tried xbmc 12.3 frodo on it, it was stable and great, SD live tv worked fine, HD live tv sometimes crashed the xbmc. 720p movies & tv shows were ok, but in general, xbmc crashes regularly.
Then i thought about trying xbmc 13 gotham beta, i've tried beta 1, it was not stable but very fast.
Now I have xbmc 13 gotham beta 2, with amber skin or the default one, no crashes like the old times with frodo, I never thought i will see xbmc working hard, fast and smooth on my old android stick until i installed gotham beta 2 :p

My minix neo G4 is rockship based
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip
I've read that AMlogic ( ATV1200 and others) based sticks and tv boxes better than Rockship (minix series and mk808b) but i think with xbmc gotham now both are equal.

@negge
I'm thinking about leaving the andriod and trying the raspberry pi, because of the 1080p playback. But the live tv is essential in my xbmc, why is it weak?!! could you explain more please?

thanx
A long HDMI-Cable between PC an TV should be the cheapest trick.
You could use HDMI-Network Adpaters to cover the longest range.
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Buy a second hand Ouya from ebay for £75 to £80. If you really want to save some cash, sell the controller on ebay for £12-£15 then use your ps3 controller and get your Ouya for £60. I think you could reach that price or possibly upto £65.

To buy a Raspberry Pi over an Ouya at £60 price point is misguided from what I've heard on the internet. The difference in user experience is big.

I only have 3 Pi's just to let you know and thats the only hardware I can comment on. But have seen videos running XBMC on Ouya and its just funny the difference, but both play 1080p fine. plus the Pi has had its day. Ouya will keep improving and then the cubox i will replace the Pi.

If I had £60 I would do as I said. but I'm biased haha
(2014-03-19, 22:00)MediaPi Wrote: Buy a second hand Ouya from ebay for £75 to £80. If you really want to save some cash, sell the controller on ebay for £12-£15 then use your ps3 controller and get your Ouya for £60. I think you could reach that price or possibly upto £65.

To buy a Raspberry Pi over an Ouya at £60 price point is misguided from what I've heard on the internet. The difference in user experience is big.

I only have 3 Pi's just to let you know and thats the only hardware I can comment on. But have seen videos running XBMC on Ouya and its just funny the difference, but both play 1080p fine. plus the Pi has had its day. Ouya will keep improving and then the cubox i will replace the Pi.

If I had £60 I would do as I said. but I'm biased haha

AFAIK Ouya still has problems with MPEG2 for live TV.
I'm only using Pi as frontend, but both SD and HD playback is faultless (DVB-S/S2, DVB-T - Irish terrestrial is HD on DVB-T). Having said that EPG navigation, channel change etc. is painful....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
£60 to get xbmc on my tv?0