• 176(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Hi!
I just ordered the Intel NUC D54250WYK2 With Core i5 4250U 1.3 GHz, 120GB msata SSD and 16GB RAM.
That was before even actually knowing what this unit is good for. My lady is sick of my old desktop doing service in the livingroom as HTPC, so when I found about thos NUC I didnt care much about what it would do, 'coz I know it will do everything that my old desktop does atm, and I hope it Works even harder.

So, have someone in here tried out this Version? At the moment I only got a fullHD TV to Connect it to as far as Picture is concerned. But can this system deliver 4K Pictures if I get a 4K TV? I thought the HDMI2.0 was a must-have for 4K?

Sorry for my bad English..

BTW: I was planning on running Win7x64 ultimate as OS on the Box because that's a OS the ladyfriend and the Girls(10 and 15) knows from the precent system With the same OS With XBMC as "HTPC-engine".

PS: I hope this is the right thread..?
The family should never see the operating system on an XBMC install. Use openelec!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
+1
| myHTPC |
I dont have the knowledge about openelec to dare to try it..
And if I feel insecure, what would the mistress say about it..? I believe she would hire someone to finish me off.. Big Grin

Is there a good internet browser, a good torrent-client and teamviewer-compability in openelec?
chromium already is integrated into unofficial addons
torrent clients also exist

teamviewer for sure not ...

(PS: In linux world one uses ssh - no need to click arround anywhere)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-03-26, 20:51)sickpuppy Wrote: So, have someone in here tried out this Version? At the moment I only got a fullHD TV to Connect it to as far as Picture is concerned. But can this system deliver 4K Pictures if I get a 4K TV? I thought the HDMI2.0 was a must-have for 4K?

The HDMI 1.4 port can handle 4k at 30fps, and the displayport can do it at 60fps. 60fps is only useful if you're gaming, which you shouldn't be doing with a NUC anyway. The advantage of windows is the ability to play Bluray off a disc or Netflix in SuperHD (requires Win8). Linux can do everything else.
(2014-03-27, 02:53)Taxcheat Wrote: 60fps is only useful if you're gaming, which you shouldn't be doing with a NUC anyway.

Or watching some of the relatively rare 2160/50p or 60p content that is knocking around. There isn't much of it - but it does exist. (And it can be encoded to H264 AIUI)
Why can't you game with a NUC? XD Just use steam in-home-streaming Smile
(2014-03-26, 23:31)sickpuppy Wrote: Is there a good internet browser, a good torrent-client and teamviewer-compability in openelec?

For what reason do you need Teamviewer for XBMC?
I think VNC would be an easier Solution in OpenElec than TeamViewer,
cause as far as i know the Linux Teamviewer is an wine Solution.
| myHTPC |
I do not need Teamviewer for XBMC.
I need Teamviewer to help out With other Things happening when I'm away for work for weeks in a row when the lady of the house is turning Purple and just wants to attack the Whole hifi-rack With a chainsaw.. If you Catch my drift..
This NUC is for 80% of its time going to run XBMC, and for that use the Teamviewer is not required(I hope). But for the other 20% of its usage there may occur problems(from experience) where a solution like Teamviewer is needed. And again, since that system is a bit familiar to both the lady and the kids I hope to continue using that one..
Use ssh. Much more efficient, you cannot click anything in OE anyways.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-03-27, 02:53)Taxcheat Wrote: The HDMI 1.4 port can handle 4k at 30fps, and the displayport can do it at 60fps. 60fps is only useful if you're gaming, which you shouldn't be doing with a NUC anyway. The advantage of windows is the ability to play Bluray off a disc or Netflix in SuperHD (requires Win8). Linux can do everything else.

XBMC can play bluray off discs, no? You can use Pipelight to watch Netflix in SuperHD on Linux btw.

@sickpuppy

Baytrail NUC's will have Intel AMT which lets you use VNC even during BIOS setup. Previous gen. NUC with Ivy Bridge has this as well, but it didn't do perfect 24p and no infrared.

Anyway, sounds like you want features of a more fully fledged Linux distro. Personally I recommend a rolling distribution to get the latest driver stack and my distro of choice is Arch Linux. If you don't want to spend any time setting everything up just go for OpenELEC and accept the limitations Tongue
Hi guys,

I experienced a weird issue yesterday.
I was playing youtube videos with the youtube addon, but each time I press "stop" to stop the clip, screen goes black and the TV says "no video signal".
Pressing the power button powers down the NUC but it reboots already without doing anything and with no video output signal.

Rebooting a number of times doesn't change anything, but using the remote android application to launch anything (serie, film, even music) switches the video output on.

I have a 3410 using HDMI, on Openeelec 4 Beta 1, and I never experienced this in any other classic situation.

Would you think it would be linked to the addon, the NUC, the OE Bêta?

I thought about upgrading the Bios too, but seems like v25 doesn't change much from v24...

Anyone would have experienced the same?
@ focke_oeuf

just tried to reproduce this. No problem for me. It's working as it should.

I also use Nuc D34010 with openelec 4 beta.
(2014-03-27, 13:28)arokh Wrote: XBMC can play bluray off discs, no? You can use Pipelight to watch Netflix in SuperHD on Linux btw.

I use a usb drive bluray to stream rented discs from MakeMKV to xbmc. It works well, but that's a hack and not the same as running a real disc under something like Total Media Theater. Because of licensing and DRM garbage, I don't think there are any direct-play-from-disc options are available under Linux that give access to all the extra features and delightful "prohibited operations" and forced trailers that you get with a real, dedicated software player.

You sure about pipelight? The Netflix Metro app is HTML5 with DRM extensions. As far as I know, they haven't been hacked. Pipelight is silverlight, and silverlight cannot play superHD. I'd love to be wrong so I could dump windows.

@Selene

Steam in home streaming -- that could be awesome. I was imagining how low-res a game would have to be to achieve 4k/60fps on hd5000 graphics, but this opens new options.
  • 176(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7