• 9(current)
Video of my ambient lighting setup
could be the color issue i had,
will try the rest of the strip i got to see if that solves the green flickering.
the color swirl did work without a issue and also the white.
but think i also broke the arduino,
will order a new one and give it a try
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-03-29, 00:32)TRaSH Wrote: could be the color issue i had,
will try the rest of the strip i got to see if that solves the green flickering.
the color swirl did work without a issue and also the white.
but think i also broke the arduino,
will order a new one and give it a try

I also have the same issue with the green flickering. I thought it was an issue with the coding because all the test scripts work fine.
i presume you didn't find a solution yet ?
i tested it with boblight and Ambibox and they both gave this error.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-03-29, 12:32)TRaSH Wrote: i presume you didn't find a solution yet ?

No. Life got in the way. Haven't been able to work on it since I first posted the issue. It's been one thing after another.
(2014-03-29, 16:57)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 12:32)TRaSH Wrote: i presume you didn't find a solution yet ?

No. Life got in the way. Haven't been able to work on it since I first posted the issue. It's been one thing after another.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many issues. You may have carefully checked the print on the strip, but looking at this thread: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=80248.0 there are a few things that you may do to troubleshoot if you haven't done them already. I would start by checking just the 'input' end up until the first place you cut and attached the connector. Once you get that working, add on the other pieces one at a time.
Maybe the IC Chip of your led is burnt, so cann't control the led smoothly, the led is out of control, so work irregularly.
While bored at work the yesterday I was searching around and stumbled upon a code for the adalight project based on the WS2812 using FastLED and I had a few minuted today to test it. It appears to fix the flickering issue I had, but its still on the roll. I used Ambibox still as the interface. Here is where I found the code. All I did was change a line for WS2812B instead of WS2812 and set my number of LED and Pin. Maybe tomorrow I can get the misses to help me take the TV down to measure and mount the strips since I have the next 2 days off and nothing much to do.
Anyone have any idea or luck finding something that will stay stuck to the silicon tubing on the lights? I've tried auto body tape as well as almost anything else and it practically cements the bare strip to the tv, but nothing sticks to the silicon.
(2014-04-12, 17:47)LazerBlue Wrote: Anyone have any idea or luck finding something that will stay stuck to the silicon tubing on the lights? I've tried auto body tape as well as almost anything else and it practically cements the bare strip to the tv, but nothing sticks to the silicon.

Do you want to keep the silicon tubing as a light diffuser? If not, cut it off, since it's really there for waterproofing for outdoor use.

Otherwise, you could wrap the strips with velcro (http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Se...B001E1Y5O6) in the space between the LED's, trim it and then stick velcro loop tape to the back of the tv (http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Brand-Indus...B00006IC2T). Or just use some of the trimmings with double sided tape. You'll have to judge how many places you'll need to secure the lights based on the weight...
They are not heavy at all since everything it's part of the chip package but I was hoping to keep the tubing intact as a diffuser and to give it a more OEM look to it. I'm really OCD about the way things are done. I already sliced the tubing down the middle of the back so I could get the strips out to do the wiring because how I plan to install them, but I was more wondering if there is something I could apply to the silicon to promote adhesion like maybe a glue of some type
(2014-04-12, 19:22)LazerBlue Wrote: They are not heavy at all since everything it's part of the chip package but I was hoping to keep the tubing intact as a diffuser and to give it a more OEM look to it. I'm really OCD about the way things are done. I already sliced the tubing down the middle of the back so I could get the strips out to do the wiring because how I plan to install them, but I was more wondering if there is something I could apply to the silicon to promote adhesion like maybe a glue of some type

I would think silicone adhesive would be the way to go then since most are made to bond with silicone products, but you may need to use a primer, which is hard to find.
You might try something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Poxy-Silicone-...B00IRC1YI0
Or ask around at your local hardware store.
At some point I need to do a thread of my setup's but here's a sneak peak of my 2nd TV setup:

This is a Raspberry Pi, running XBian Beta 1 with Hyperion running the LED's Smile (PS Pi is NOT running overclocked, Hyperion is like Boblight but only uses about 1-2% CPU) - hope you like Smile still some calibration of colours needed, at points its a bit too "purple"...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
(2014-04-21, 20:10)nsviper Wrote: At some point I need to do a thread of my setup's but here's a sneak peak of my 2nd TV setup:

This is a Raspberry Pi, running XBian Beta 1 with Hyperion running the LED's Smile (PS Pi is NOT running overclocked, Hyperion is like Boblight but only uses about 1-2% CPU) - hope you like Smile still some calibration of colours needed, at points its a bit too "purple"...

Looks really good, esp given the fact that's all on a RPi. I agree that your colors are a bit on the purple side, but hopefully that's easily fixable.
This is soo cool, I have to do this! Great job with all your work, the XBMC community is the best. I just finished my basement project which includes a 100" projection screen, Win8 64bit, XBMC 13 beta4. A 5M strand of LEDs would not work. Would the same concept work by adding another strand taking in consideration the power supply? Haven't looked enough into this, but would a 10amp power supply be sufficient for just over 7M of LEDs?

Another concern of mine is the distance from my HTPC to the screen (about 25ft). I roughed in a conduit to allow for things like this but would there be any timing issues running the USB from HTPC to Leonardo at that distance?
(2014-04-24, 03:46)BtripN Wrote: This is soo cool, I have to do this! Great job with all your work, the XBMC community is the best. I just finished my basement project which includes a 100" projection screen, Win8 64bit, XBMC 13 beta4. A 5M strand of LEDs would not work. Would the same concept work by adding another strand taking in consideration the power supply? Haven't looked enough into this, but would a 10amp power supply be sufficient for just over 7M of LEDs?

Another concern of mine is the distance from my HTPC to the screen (about 25ft). I roughed in a conduit to allow for things like this but would there be any timing issues running the USB from HTPC to Leonardo at that distance?

In terms of power supply, you first have to decide which type of LED you'll use and how many LED's per meter. For example a 30 led/meter ws2801 uses about 9W per meter. At 7 meters that's 63W. Divide that by the 5VDC and you get 12.6 amps. That is maximum current though, meaning full white on all. Some might say a 10 amp would be fine, but me personally I like a little head room. If you were looking at 60 led/meter you'll be in the territory of a hardwired industrial power supply.

If you are not ready to pull the trigger, I'm working with the ws2812b led which is about half the price of the ws2801 and have it working well on the benchtop. The livingroom is being remodeled right now so it will be about 3 weeks before I have them mounted and tested on the tv. If I'm successful i will make a how to and post my modified code.

I am also running my tv setup through about 25ft of conduit and don't notice any issues on my usb. I am using a power hub though at the tv end.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0