• 21(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-04, 22:56)timmy! Wrote: Has anyone tried Dropbox? If it works, can't you just pull all the apk files down from Dropbox?

Unless I'm missing something, you cannot install apks directly from the ftv itself (as in through a file manager of some sort or simply executing the apk). I've tried this and it fails. You must use adb commands to install apps.

If someone knows of a way to install an apk directly from the ftv, I'd really like to know how! Smile
(2014-04-04, 23:29)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:21)Rhino89 Wrote: For those of you who have successfully gotten xbmc onto firetv and were able to run add-ons successfully, would it be possible for someone to put together a how-to video or step by step list for those of us who are still new to all this? I have used xbmc on ATV2 for a while now, but I have no idea how to do any of the android apk, eclipse, sideloading, and other terms that are discussed here. I'm sure I'm not the only one, a guide for newbies would be greatly appreciated!

(Example: when I loaded xbmc onto my atv2, I watched a YouTube video where the guy just went through step by step of what programs he opened, what he typed, and I just paused it and followed along).

There are written instructions mentioned multiple times in this thread.

This YouTube generation has ruined people being able to do basic things on their PC now. I can't find written instructions for so many things and have to "watch a video" that is 5-10 minutes long for instructions that could take me 30 seconds to read and start doing.

Sorry, small rant against Youtube generation and how it's completely screwed up written instructions online. Too many people making youtube videos to promote their stupid channels rather than to actually help people. Can be very very frustrating.

Plus 1
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:29)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:21)Rhino89 Wrote: For those of you who have successfully gotten xbmc onto firetv and were able to run add-ons successfully, would it be possible for someone to put together a how-to video or step by step list for those of us who are still new to all this? I have used xbmc on ATV2 for a while now, but I have no idea how to do any of the android apk, eclipse, sideloading, and other terms that are discussed here. I'm sure I'm not the only one, a guide for newbies would be greatly appreciated!

(Example: when I loaded xbmc onto my atv2, I watched a YouTube video where the guy just went through step by step of what programs he opened, what he typed, and I just paused it and followed along).

There are written instructions mentioned multiple times in this thread.

This YouTube generation has ruined people being able to do basic things on their PC now. I can't find written instructions for so many things and have to "watch a video" that is 5-10 minutes long for instructions that could take me 30 seconds to read and start doing.

Sorry, small rant against Youtube generation and how it's completely screwed up written instructions online. Too many people making youtube videos to promote their stupid channels rather than to actually help people. Can be very very frustrating.

Plus 1

Guys we are getting old Smile)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

You don't need to watch a video, it's very straight forward, even for the non technical.

For Windows

1. Download the android SDK https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html?hl=sk
2. Unpack the SDK to any location using 7Zip or windows Unzipping utility
3. Download the Frodo APK for Android from XBMC http://xbmc.org/download/
4. Make it easy on yourself and move the APK download into the "platform-tools" folder inside the folder where you unpacked the Android SDK (ie. C:\Users\admin\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools\ )
5. Inside the platform tools folder is the ADB Utility you will be using. Click the "Start" menu and type CMD into the search box, then run the cmd.exe when it pops up in the search.
6. Navigate to the "platform-tools" folder (ie C:\Users\admin\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools\) This location depends on where YOU put it.
7. Go to your Amazon Fire TV and use the remote to navigate to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> DEVELOPER OPTIONS -> ADB DEBUGGING and click to turn it to "On"
8. Now Navigate on your Amazon FireTV to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> ABOUT -> NETWORK and write down the IP address for the FireTV from this screen.
9. Now go back to your computer and run the commands from the Amazon instructions in the CMD cammand line window (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html). You don't need eclipse, just use the command line as follows:
>adb kill-server
>adb start-server
>adb connect TYPE THE IP ADDRESS YOU WROTE DOWN HERE
>adb install xbmc-12.3-Frodo-armeabi-v7a.apk

10. In the window you will see the command install the APK file and finish with the word "success"
11. Now go back to your Amazon FireTV and navigate with the remote to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> XBMC it should be at the bottom of the list. Click Launch Application and it will startup.
(2014-04-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote: Sorry, small rant against Youtube generation and how it's completely screwed up written instructions online. Too many people making youtube videos to promote their stupid channels rather than to actually help people. Can be very very frustrating.

Even worse, a youtube tutorial with a metal rock sound track. Sad

My firetv arrives tomorrow, can't wait. Anyone gone exploring with adb shell or tried gaining root?
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
Has anyone figured out a way to launch side loaded apps from the home screen rather then having to do it from the SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS menu?
(2014-04-04, 23:29)tential Wrote: There are written instructions mentioned multiple times in this thread.

I couldn't grasp the meaning of this post, please make a YouTube video to explain your point. Angel
(2014-04-04, 23:55)jocala Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote: Sorry, small rant against Youtube generation and how it's completely screwed up written instructions online. Too many people making youtube videos to promote their stupid channels rather than to actually help people. Can be very very frustrating.

Even worse, a youtube tutorial with a metal rock sound track. Sad

My firetv arrives tomorrow, can't wait. Anyone gone exploring with adb shell or tried gaining root?

im the OP of the thread in XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2703716
gathering information from both sides to create a simple list where someone doesnt have to go through pages to get an answer. Any information i gather from this website im linking back, credit is due where credit is deserved.
Could someone with a Fire TV tell me if you can control all the major Netflix functions just using the remote control? Seem Netflix has never made it to where in Android that a keyboard could be used to control all operations without the use of a mouse or touch screen
(2014-04-05, 00:05)kalikid021 Wrote: Has anyone figured out a way to launch side loaded apps from the home screen rather then having to do it from the SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS menu?

I've been meaning to check out the FireTV SDK sample apps to see what gets them to show up on the main menu. Then we could modify the XBMC apk to do the same.
(2014-04-05, 00:07)RGB_Gamer Wrote: Could someone with a Fire TV tell me if you can control all the major Netflix functions just using the remote control? Seem Netflix has never made it to where in Android that a keyboard could be used to control all operations without the use of a mouse or touch screen

I can't possibly imagine that Amazon would release a set-top box with a remote control and a Netflix app that didn't allow complete control using the remote. It's almost certainly a custom codebase.
Wink 
(2014-04-05, 00:11)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 00:05)kalikid021 Wrote: Has anyone figured out a way to launch side loaded apps from the home screen rather then having to do it from the SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS menu?

I've been meaning to check out the FireTV SDK sample apps to see what gets them to show up on the main menu. Then we could modify the XBMC apk to do the same.

Word! I don't care so much myself, however without a shorcut on the Home screen, my lady will ask me "where is it again?" about a billion times. Wink
I'm home and my box is hooked up, pushing apk's over now and will be testing mashup on xbmc to start
Take your mashup posts elsewhere.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-04, 23:46)pecinko Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 23:29)tential Wrote: There are written instructions mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Plus 1

Guys we are getting old Smile)

At 24 I dunno if I'm "old" haha. I just get extremely frustrated when I google how to do something on a PC and it's a video. I then watch the video and it's BASIC PC FUNCTIONS. Opening applications, typing in web urls, etc.

The biggest issue though is that youtube video doesn't really add for much feedback/editing.

If I post a new thread on XBMC that says "How to get Fire TV working perfectly on XBMC!" with text/pictures then other people can read the instructions. We can improve those instructions together and we can edit that main post over and over again until it's perfect. We can edit it when new versions of XBMC require new fixes or new fire TV firmwares require new fixes to get XBMC working again.

A youtube page is static. It 99% of the time includes watching an application load, install, etc. If another member figures out a fix, they then have to describe the whole thing to the main video uploader who then must create a whole NEW video rather than just edit 1-2 steps in the main post.

I find youtube videos instrunctional when they require precision movements. When I was opening my External Harddrives and taking them apart, a youtube video is helpful to know the weak points and see how much pressure you apply before it comes apart. Some of these videos though could easily have been covered in 5 lines of text but is instead a 5-10 minute video.

Edit: Lol about the music. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on a youtube video since I was having trouble finding text instructions, hear crazy music and just exit. I'd rather just not even fix the problem then deal with that.
That and "Top 5/10" lists on youtube that don't list what they're talking about in the description. Ya, I just want to know what the top 5 are and you think I want to watch a 15 minute video to figure out what the list is? A list I could have read in 5 seconds? Nope.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10