• 24(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-04, 23:29)tential Wrote: This YouTube generation has ruined people being able to do basic things on their PC now. I can't find written instructions for so many things and have to "watch a video" that is 5-10 minutes long for instructions that could take me 30 seconds to read and start doing.

Sorry, small rant against Youtube generation and how it's completely screwed up written instructions online. Too many people making youtube videos to promote their stupid channels rather than to actually help people. Can be very very frustrating.
+1000
Incredibly frustrating to seek thru a 10min video when 3 bullet points would do...

Fortunately, the summary of the video sometimes suffice. I'd call that the tl;dw (too long; didn't watch) :-)
(2014-04-05, 03:06)lazygregg Wrote: does anyone have a fix for repositories like 1channel not working.

i keep getting "dependencies not met"

you must be using gotham. Most addons exccpet for a few dont work in gotham yet. Also id be careful about discussing any addons not by XBMC team here
(2014-04-05, 03:06)lazygregg Wrote: does anyone have a fix for repositories like 1channel not working.

When will you people get the message. No damn 1channel support there. GO AWAY (and that's the polite version of what I was intending to say).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
has anyone tried plugging in a usb hub into the usb port on the fire tv and plugging in multiple devices?
So I saw someone use the term "native xbmc" indicating that android xbmc is more prone to issues than native. Can't find the post right now, boarding in my phone, just wondering what is considered the "native"format?
@thess I've been able to get my Harmony One remote to control my Fire TV by just selecting my TV under devices and the CEC on my TV controls the Fire TV.
(2014-04-05, 01:19)RGB_Gamer Wrote: Speaking of Live TV, what are the prerequisite s of getting Live TV working in XBMC?

Some people already report live tv working on the box. I haven't ever tried live TV on Android, didn't even know it worked.

(2014-04-05, 03:13)nickr Wrote:

When will you people get the message. No damn 1channel support there. GO AWAY (and that's the polite version of what I was intending to say).

I don't respond to them. Just click the "Report Post" and move on. It's funny too because you'd THINK they'd go to the forum where they got the plugin from. Instead, they go to one site, get a plugin, then go to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITE, and ask for help with the plugin.

I wonder how many people have asked for help with XBMC on apple's website....

(2014-04-05, 03:38)denmalley Wrote: So I saw someone use the term "native xbmc" indicating that android xbmc is more prone to issues than native. Can't find the post right now, boarding in my phone, just wondering what is considered the "native"format?

Maybe you misunderstood them or they misunderstood XBMC. XBMC doesn't have a "native" OS. It's developed throughout all OS. Android is "behind" in development on XBMC because the people who develop Android hardware don't give us access to it. So we have to figure out how to activate things like hardware acceleration for watching video. You could use software acceleration but it's harder on the CPU and if your CPU is slow it won't keep up. For each new chip that comes out, we then have sit here and figure out how to get things like hardware acceleration working.

To any XBMC/PC noobs posting in this thread trying to learn about the Fire TV and whether it's good for XBMC. Come back in 2 weeks. By then things will be sorted out and you'll know the answers on what works and what doesn't work. For now, people are hard at work figuring out work arounds for Amazon's walled garden. Soon people will have completely destroyed those once virgin walls.....
Just got home and saw it sitting on my front step. Too bad I won't have time to open it until Monday
(2014-04-05, 04:10)LazerBlue Wrote: Just got home and saw it sitting on my front step. Too bad I won't have time to open it until Monday

Can't believe you were capable of posting this. The first thing I would have done is unboxed, setup etc. I couldn't wait 3 days!
This I'd the post I refer to. I have been using XBMC since original Xbox which would be the only thing I consider "native," Lol.

(2014-04-04, 19:53)RKMFlorida Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 19:44)ilovemymac Wrote: I don't think the processor in this is as powerful as some if the other android boxes. Is guess anyway
That's a silly thing to say. There can be all sorts of things giving you that impression that have nothing to do with the CPU/chipset.

The Fire TV is no "black box", we know all of the specs. It runs a Qualcomm Krait 300 at Quad-Core, 1.7Ghz. The SoC is the Snapdragon 8064 with an Adreno 320. There's already a wiki if you're interested in more.

For $100, not to mention including a RF-based remote, it smokes anything else out there. And not just by a small margin.

The new Intel Minnow box for $100 may be the only thing close, but I could be wrong. The new NVIDIA K1 will have much better specs, but that's $180-$200.

I don't know why everyone is being so impatient with a box that has only existed for 2 days. As others have said, give it some time, I bet it will get there.

On the other hand, if you're one of those people that loves native XBMC over the Android variants that have their own Android-related issues, then of course it goes without saying -- stay native! I personally run all native boxes myself, but I'm going to give the Amazon Fire TV a try to compliment an ODROID, which is also a great box for the money (as long as you don't mind waiting a few weeks to get it).

Oh and I agree tential gotta wait till things shake out a bit more, the apple TV XBMC port had its ups and downs and is now a pretty solid little box though maybe just bit underpowered.
(2014-04-05, 04:12)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 04:10)LazerBlue Wrote: Just got home and saw it sitting on my front step. Too bad I won't have time to open it until Monday

Can't believe you were capable of posting this. The first thing I would have done is unboxed, setup etc. I couldn't wait 3 days!

Well I've taken it out of the shipping box but that's as far as I got. I work in a hospital and I have weekend shifts so I gotta rest up. Believe me, I wish I hadn't unboxed it. Now it's taunting me.
@denmally

I hear ya. Before I had my 16tb server, 2 openelec PC's, and G-box midnight, I had an original XBOX in every room (4 total), and 4tb NAS when I lived with my brother. Now he still uses them all in his house, especially since they also all play the old game emulators.
(2014-04-05, 04:16)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 04:12)tential Wrote:

Well I've taken it out of the shipping box but that's as far as I got. I work in a hospital and I have weekend shifts so I gotta rest up. Believe me, I wish I hadn't unboxed it. Now it's taunting me.

So much for that. I'm weak willed. It's currently downloading the Amazon update.
(2014-04-04, 02:13)kalikid021 Wrote: Have FireTV, setup. I started with sideloading Gotham Beta3. UI is super smooth. However Video playback doesn't work for shiznit.

2400 Videos, Almost all are MKV container, H264, AAC 720P to 1080P

Tried multiple files, all show Green screen, or garbled video, with audio playing fine.

Uninstalled, sideloaded Frodo, Plays like a dream. I have a 9TB readynas on the network. Can browse SMB shares and scan them perfectly.

To update this. The majority of my content is 720p, just tried a 1080p video and it was stuttery. I am running the currnt frodo build, and there is no option to change render method in video settings. Only auto detect is available.
Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-04-04 21:59 CDT
Nmap scan report for
Host is up (0.0018s latency).
Not shown: 65530 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
5555/tcp open freeciv
8008/tcp open http
39210/tcp open unknown
45024/tcp open unknown
48547/tcp open unknown
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help