• 52(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-08, 17:36)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 17:28)sadboy Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 17:10)eracknaphobia Wrote: As far as I can tell, it's always on. It goes to a screen saver / slideshow after x minutes, then it shuts off the display after another set amount of time.

I let it sit overnight doing nothing, but it's still hot as hell in the morning, which means it's not really putting itself to sleep. as this thing is designed to be on all the time, with no hardware or software power switch, the power draw could be a problem.
Or is it just my one that's defective?

On amazons website it states it shuts off after 30 minutes. I just checked mine this morning, and it is not warm. So it shut off last night.

Well my one just played the damned screen saver all night... Is there some setting that enables power saver mode? Do you have remote ADB debugging turned on?
(2014-04-08, 17:44)sadboy Wrote: Well my one just played the damned screen saver all night... Is there some setting that enables power saver mode? Do you have remote ADB debugging turned on?

Maybe disable HDMI-CEC on your tv?
I had ADB enabled, TV was off, computer with the ADB server was off, default screen saver was left set as configured from the factory (5 minutes and pictures start).
(2014-04-08, 17:32)awp0 Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 17:10)eracknaphobia Wrote: As far as I can tell, it's always on. It goes to a screen saver / slideshow after x minutes, then it shuts off the display after another set amount of time.

I let it sit overnight doing nothing, but it's still hot as hell in the morning, which means it's not really putting itself to sleep. as this thing is designed to be on all the time, with no hardware or software power switch, the power draw could be a problem.

So no one has been able to measure the power consumption yet? I'm curious how efficient this is. Couldn't find anything on Google.

5.5 mm DC[3] (6.25 V 2.5 A power adapter[4])
So, almost 16 watts max consumption

Did you have XBMC running? When running on mine it won't sleep, but if I'm on the Amazon home screen it does after about 1/2 hour.
(2014-04-08, 18:10)LazerBlue Wrote: Did you have XBMC running? When running on mine it won't sleep, but if I'm on the Amazon home screen it does after about 1/2 hour.

No, I made sure to clean exit XBMC, and even clicked "Force close" a couple of times. I left it on the home screen, after ~5min the screen saver kicks in, but then that just plays forever.

toddhutch Wrote:I had ADB enabled, TV was off, computer with the ADB server was off, default screen saver was left set as configured from the factory (5 minutes and pictures start).
Thanks for the info, mine was left in the exact same state. I'll try rebooting to see if it fixes itself.

(2014-04-08, 17:47)dismantler Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 17:44)sadboy Wrote: Well my one just played the damned screen saver all night... Is there some setting that enables power saver mode? Do you have remote ADB debugging turned on?

Maybe disable HDMI-CEC on your tv?

Preferably not, I use that to control my PS3 from my tv remote. I'll try that as a last resort.
HDMI CEC can be managed at the HDMI Port level, I believe. You can turn it off for the port you are using for FTV and leave it on for PS3.
(2014-04-08, 09:40)Dark_Slayer Wrote: MPEG2 and VC-1 are the gotchas for me, since at least 10% of my blu ray library is VC-1 and live-tv backends in the US are still pretty much MPEG2 exclusive until Silicondust finally releases that h264 transcoding tuner

Have people tested MPEG2 playback yet? I thought I saw some positive reports last week, but now I can't seem to find any. I guess its largely moot for me anyway until Gotham gets sorted out, and even then I'd be curious to see how an external player like MXPlayer handles the transcoding, since on the Ouya I had better luck with that than the default player ( I don't remember what version of XBMC I was using at the time though).
Anyone know how to open USB port up?
(2014-04-08, 19:25)rthunder27 Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 09:40)Dark_Slayer Wrote: MPEG2 and VC-1 are the gotchas for me, since at least 10% of my blu ray library is VC-1 and live-tv backends in the US are still pretty much MPEG2 exclusive until Silicondust finally releases that h264 transcoding tuner

Have people tested MPEG2 playback yet? I thought I saw some positive reports last week, but now I can't seem to find any. I guess its largely moot for me anyway until Gotham gets sorted out, and even then I'd be curious to see how an external player like MXPlayer handles the transcoding, since on the Ouya I had better luck with that than the default player ( I don't remember what version of XBMC I was using at the time though).

One poster much earlier in the thread had success in using the FireTV to play back live TV, in the form of a ~20ish Mbps 1080i MPEG-2 stream.
(2014-04-08, 18:03)bainsbonds Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 17:32)awp0 Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 17:28)sadboy Wrote: I let it sit overnight doing nothing, but it's still hot as hell in the morning, which means it's not really putting itself to sleep. as this thing is designed to be on all the time, with no hardware or software power switch, the power draw could be a problem.

So no one has been able to measure the power consumption yet? I'm curious how efficient this is. Couldn't find anything on Google.

5.5 mm DC[3] (6.25 V 2.5 A power adapter[4])
So, almost 16 watts max consumption

Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I'm interested in the actual power consumption in various scenarios (streaming, idle, standby). I have a couple of Raspi's which use so little electricity that I just leave them on 24/7 even when I don't use them sometimes for a week or two. They use like 3 watts idle. I also used to have a Boxee Box which never had a proper standby and always used like 16 watts. That bugged me.
(2014-04-08, 19:28)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 19:25)rthunder27 Wrote: Have people tested MPEG2 playback yet? I thought I saw some positive reports last week, but now I can't seem to find any. I guess its largely moot for me anyway until Gotham gets sorted out, and even then I'd be curious to see how an external player like MXPlayer handles the transcoding, since on the Ouya I had better luck with that than the default player ( I don't remember what version of XBMC I was using at the time though).

One poster much earlier in the thread had success in using the FireTV to play back live TV, in the form of a ~20ish Mbps 1080i MPEG-2 stream.

Ah thanks, that was it, glad I didn't make that up. Maybe I'll play around with the Gotham test-builds tonight to see for myself. And it needs to be Gotham, since I'm running MythTV 0.27, and the cmyth plugin that works with 0.27 only works with Gotham (I think).
(2014-04-08, 19:39)awp0 Wrote: Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I'm interested in the actual power consumption in various scenarios (streaming, idle, standby). I have a couple of Raspi's which use so little electricity that I just leave them on 24/7 even when I don't use them sometimes for a week or two. They use like 3 watts idle. I also used to have a Boxee Box which never had a proper standby and always used like 16 watts. That bugged me.

I know it's not as low as it could be, but 16 watt power consumption for 24 hours is only .384 kWh. Where I live, that's 4.6 cents per day. In comparison, that's less than leaving my bedroom lights on for 3 hours.
(2014-04-08, 16:03)voochi Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 05:48)davilla Wrote: Actually, bitrate is also meaningless. The one true king is knowing the video format, profile and level Smile

Wrong.

Profile and level define upper limits (for bitrate, res, ref frames, etc).

Simply knowing the profile and level of a tested video does not tell you how close you are to the upper limits.

You need to know every aspect of the video spec. If you ensure that every aspect - res, bitrate, ref frames, fps - is right on the max limit for a given profile and level, THEN you can declare compliancy. So to say that bitrate is meaningless is absurd.

It is quite absurd Smile Users go around quoting bit-rates all the time. A bit-rate number by itself is meaningless. I can craft a special h264 with an absurd bit-rate. It means nothing. FFMpeg might be able to play it, but I guarantee that most hardware decoders will choke and die. Stick with the specs or your video content might now play.
(2014-04-08, 09:51)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 05:48)davilla Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 03:35)nickr Wrote: 30GB is meaningless unless you know the length of the movie. bitrate is what is relevant!

Actually, bitrate is also meaningless. The one true king is knowing the video format, profile and level Smile

Well, at high bitrates you have other problems than pure decoding popping in (network, memory bandwidth,...), so it's not quite meaningless Wink

Sure, toss a silly high bit-rate video and you have no clue if you have a decode issue or network or other. That's why I get a chuckle when people start tossing everything at new hardware and not really thinking about minimizing the possible issues. Step one is test using known and standard encodes. Anything else is chaos and impossible to figure out.
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10