• 80(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-12, 22:27)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 22:23)jsp1 Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 17:40)Koying Wrote: Re HD audio, please test with SPMC 12.4.2.
If it works there, I'll see into it for Gotham.

Crashing XBMC on several different DTS-MA files. Sad

Thank you for your continued interest and efforts to fix the issue.
Could you link an output of "adb logcat", please. (To be captured during playback + crash, obviously)

I can confirm that SPMC 12.4.2 is crashing on DTS-HD and TrueHD (if enabled in settings).

Also, it does the same thing on Ouya. If you need additional logcats please let me know and I will provide them.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
When you upgrade from frodo to Gotham, the Gotham version will convert the frodo database to gotham's format. it will also leave the frodo version there. All info will be preserved, and frodo machines will access the older database. the databases will then get out of sync as you watch on different versions, and scrape on different versions
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:I have to say, this is hands down the BEST experience I've had yet with any player. Any. I own an OUYA. I owned a MINIX X7 with Finless latest. I own a 2820 NUC. I have an ATV 1 & ATV3. And I run XBMC on my desktops. But I have to say, there's something about the hardware they've chosen and the OS they've designed for the FTV that makes it just SMOOTH AS HELL. Even in watching Amazon Prime, Plex and Netflix videos I find the FTV to finally give me the experience I've been longing for. Even the menu's are fast and smooth with a great look. Why has it taken so long for someone to get it right? When watching my FTV I have the experience of forgetting I'm watching through a software based device. It's so smooth to me and never hangs or skips that I feel like I did when watching analog broadcast TV back in the day, only in HD! It's just flawless. I finally can relax and just enjoy the movie. Thank you Amazon! Add to that that it's FANLESS and therefore completely silent, cool to the touch, super low wattage and only $99. I think I'll be buying more. Amazon might be doing Apple fit and finish better than Apple these days. No. Actually they ARE. My Fire HDX 7" tab also rocks.

Anyway. It's also looking like Koying here has given me that same smoothness for my XBMC now as well. Thank you Koying. Do you accept donations?

Thanks all.
R

I got to say I love the x7. So much I can do with it. I run beyond Xbmc on it seems the smoothest. But I like having it rooted and overclocked. It's fast and I like changing my background and theme when I want. The FTV Is mighty cool but there are things I can't do on it I can on my x7. I will miss being able to retro game but I like having Netflix in HD. If it wasn't such a pain to load apps on here and was easy like on other boxes is like it more.
I 100% agree the ouya is not nor wazir ever what I thought it would be. Only good thing is I can play any game for free.

I love the voice control on the FTV and I can imagine what we could do with it in Xbmc. I think the x7 serves a purpose and the FTV does too each a different market.

Ps anyone able to load a live TV app on here? Or know if you can get anything from google play and then sideload it?
(2014-04-13, 06:04)ilovemymac Wrote: Ps anyone able to load a live TV app on here? Or know if you can get anything from google play and then sideload it?

Yes, I am able to watch live TV in Fire TV running XBMC via pvr.wmc plugin with WMC as backend. 1080i and 720p channels decode fine. There is a delay bringing up full EPG grid so I've switched to just seeing just whats currently on.
anyone knows how to set daylight saving time on the fire tvHuh?
changed the zone to my area.... but still one hour delay...
(2014-04-13, 07:33)bohmwu Wrote: anyone knows how to set daylight saving time on the fire tvHuh?
changed the zone to my area.... but still one hour delay...

Android has daylight saving sorted, unless Amazon screwed something up. Try a reboot.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-13, 06:04)ilovemymac Wrote:
Quote:I have to say, this is hands down the BEST experience I've had yet with any player. Any. I own an OUYA. I owned a MINIX X7 with Finless latest. I own a 2820 NUC. I have an ATV 1 & ATV3. And I run XBMC on my desktops. But I have to say, there's something about the hardware they've chosen and the OS they've designed for the FTV that makes it just SMOOTH AS HELL. Even in watching Amazon Prime, Plex and Netflix videos I find the FTV to finally give me the experience I've been longing for. Even the menu's are fast and smooth with a great look. Why has it taken so long for someone to get it right? When watching my FTV I have the experience of forgetting I'm watching through a software based device. It's so smooth to me and never hangs or skips that I feel like I did when watching analog broadcast TV back in the day, only in HD! It's just flawless. I finally can relax and just enjoy the movie. Thank you Amazon! Add to that that it's FANLESS and therefore completely silent, cool to the touch, super low wattage and only $99. I think I'll be buying more. Amazon might be doing Apple fit and finish better than Apple these days. No. Actually they ARE. My Fire HDX 7" tab also rocks.

Anyway. It's also looking like Koying here has given me that same smoothness for my XBMC now as well. Thank you Koying. Do you accept donations?

Thanks all.
R

I got to say I love the x7. So much I can do with it. I run beyond Xbmc on it seems the smoothest. But I like having it rooted and overclocked. It's fast and I like changing my background and theme when I want. The FTV Is mighty cool but there are things I can't do on it I can on my x7. I will miss being able to retro game but I like having Netflix in HD. If it wasn't such a pain to load apps on here and was easy like on other boxes is like it more.
I 100% agree the ouya is not nor wazir ever what I thought it would be. Only good thing is I can play any game for free.

I love the voice control on the FTV and I can imagine what we could do with it in Xbmc. I think the x7 serves a purpose and the FTV does too each a different market.

Ps anyone able to load a live TV app on here? Or know if you can get anything from google play and then sideload it?

The guy you’re quoting is comparing the XBMC experience of the boxes, it was a well written being that his audience is an XBMC community. Root is handy but the device has only been out for 10 days, give it time. As for overclocking which might sound cool really, let’s be honest the firetv doesn’t need to be overclocked currently (maybe later but not currently) because their hardware is mostly top notch (not having gig nic is only drawback i can think of) you can’t play retro games? I have a PSX, psp, mame, n64 and super nintendo emulator running on my firetv. Sorry for that rant, just wanted to defend the firetv quickly but let’s get back on topic. I dont have a an x7 only a ouya, mojo, and a firetv and the firetv has not only had a working XBMC version the quickest out of the other two but it has the best response time from loading, skipping ahead and not crashing as much as other players. So my question for you is if you compared the x7 to the fire tv solely on XBMC experience who deserves the crown and why?
Ok this isn't a pissing contest, but comparisons are useful. Each user has different requirements.

Anyway why would you need gigE for a media player?
@ilovemymac Yeah. Excellent points on the X7. It was my fav until the FTV. And I actually sold it before the newer Finless ROMs came out. (My buddy who has it now still raves about it daily.) So I can't and definitely won't say anything negative against it. I shouldn't have grouped it in with the rest so casually and without more explanation. X7 was and still is one of if not the best boxes out there for its openness, speed, and smoothness. I should have kept it longer if not permanently. In fact, I was almost going to buy another one last week when I heard about the release of FTV and bought it instead on release day. But the out of box experience of the FTV has been the best experience so far. Could never say that about the X7. Especially so for regular non-tech consumers. So if that helps anyone feel better about getting one, then I hope that helps. Smile

And the FTV will only get better and better as everyone mods it further. Great value piece of hardware.

@DiegoMegia Thanks man. So you can load up emulators on the FTV!? Hmmm.. Will have to look into that at some point. Need my Galaga and 1941 fix again. Smile Just gave away my original upright arcade Sega and PCBs of those. Had an original 1941 board!

And yeah, the FTV has what seems ZERO lag in menus and start of streaming. Been waiting for that in all the boxes I've tried. Love it.

Yeah, and not a crash yet on the FTV.

As for who wins the crown on XBMC, I can't say for sure as I haven't had my X7 for at least three months now. My buddy says he's moved over to MX Player on it for it's smooth 60 frame look vs the slower/ choppier? look on the XBMC release he has even though originally he much preferred the XBMC 24p cinematic look much more before. I've told him about the mediacodec off / libstagefright on thing just now but I have no idea if that's something that applies to the X7 or not. If it does and these releases also worn on the X7, then it could be just as smooth now as the FTV. I've asked him to try Koying's latest release and see. Anyone know if these builds don't apply to the X7?

Anyway, hope that helps.
R
(2014-04-13, 04:05)Netix Wrote: Like I said before i'm using SPMC on Ouya.. waiting for my FireTV but I was wondering if the colors on the FTV are better then on the OUYA ? I find that every movies/tv show looks very dark on the ouya.. is it an android problem ? (The brightness of my tv is at max and it's still dark compared to my main pc)
AFAIK, the dark image is specific to Ouya. Actually, early firmwares did not have this issue. It popped up after a later firmware upgrade.

(2014-04-13, 04:05)Netix Wrote: Also, i'm running frodo on mySQL server, if I put gotham on the FTV would it keep the watched status or I have to switch the version on the MySQL ? Is there a quick way to upgrade from frodo to gotham without redoing everything (scrapping library, setting skin)
As @nickr explained, your Frodo mysql databases will be upgraded to Gotham but will stay there. So, on day one, you'll have both a Frodo and a Gotham copy.
You will still be able to use both the Frodo and the Gotham databases, but they will not be synchronized.
@Koying,

I may have spoken a little too soon. With xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk I'm still seeing some jittery playback, it's not constant but seems to happen mostly with left to right motion (panning). Not sure what is causing it, but if you need any log files just let me know.. Right now I'd have say that video playback is about 95% perfect.

Thank you for all you hard work.

(2014-04-13, 04:05)Netix Wrote: Like I said before i'm using SPMC on Ouya.. waiting for my FireTV but I was wondering if the colors on the FTV are better then on the OUYA ? I find that every movies/tv show looks very dark on the ouya.. is it an android problem ? (The brightness of my tv is at max and it's still dark compared to my main pc)

Yes, I was able to set my brightness level back to normal. As Koying stated, the brightness issue is specific to the Ouya.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
To avoid confusion, I've removed the reference to XBMC on Ouya from the wiki, as it is superseded by SPMC 12.4.2 for Frodo.
Has the foundation decided to let Koying recieve a FTV so future improvements can be made?
Hes done an exceptional job upto now and is well deserved IMHO.

Also its evident that FTV can even overtake Raspberry Pi as the number hardware to run XBMC. Since it seems its the perfect balance between performance/price and can run netflix..Just look at how many new members this thread has gotten. And not just that each person is learning how to post a log and otherstuff.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and Koying amazing work for someone not even having the box at hand!! If the foundation wont award Koying I'm sure the community wont hesitate to get a fund together to send Koying a box. with the amount of people frenzying over he FTV it wont take much per person to achieve this. Come on I want to see the full capabilities of this box and Koying is the man that will take us there!!
(2014-04-13, 10:29)MediaPi Wrote: Also its evident that FTV can even overtake Raspberry Pi as the number hardware to run XBMC. Since it seems its the perfect balance between performance/price and can run netflix..Just look at how many new members this thread has gotten. And not just that each person is learning how to post a log and otherstuff.
Though for those of us in Europe, Android is still not a particularly great platform, as it doesn't support refresh rate switching - which is important for those of us who play a lot of mixed refresh rate content. The Pi does a good job of output refresh rate switching.

How is the Fire TV at de-interlacing Live TV content - that's also something the Pi does well for such a cheap box.

I think the Fire TV is going to be a great box for many people - particularly Netflixers and those who want other things to run on their XBMC boxes - but I'm not sure it's a universal replacement for the Pi (you didn't say it was - I'm not trying put words in your mouth!)
Noggin I actually only have 3 pis running at the moment lol dont forget it took the raspberry Pi maybe a year to even get to a point that its good enough for a non techy to use it with confidence and the FTV has been out for about a week.

And also xbmc on android is still in early development. so with a good user base using a particular hardware the development will only progress and maybe the things you mentioned will be obtained. I still love the Pi. but imagine with so many people experimenting with the FTV, the developers can tap into this pool of data and even improve android platform. Then even cheaper hardware can come out of this. Android is back in the game lol.

P.s I still love my pi's
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10