• 105(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-18, 19:43)squarecut1 Wrote: Thanks for your response. So if I just get a regular MCE remote, would I need to do anything to configure it to work with XBMC on Fire TV? Or will it work just like that ....sorry, I am a bit new to all this.

MCE remote should work without any configuration. Also, take a look at Flirc.
(2014-04-18, 19:49)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 19:43)squarecut1 Wrote: Thanks for your response. So if I just get a regular MCE remote, would I need to do anything to configure it to work with XBMC on Fire TV? Or will it work just like that ....sorry, I am a bit new to all this.

MCE remote should work without any configuration. Also, take a look at Flirc.

I'm using the flirc with the harmony one. .. I'm using the default flirc profile which works well with most things but I also accidently stumbled upon a neat little trick. . I'm also using the vizio costar harmony profile (I previously had a costar) mixed in there. Because that profile acts like a keyboard, I can set the keys up however I want on the remote and use the xbmc keymap editor (thanks thess) to map those keys to xbmc function...e.g. remote back button mapped to parent folder. .. Works very well. ...
Can anyone offer insight to this?

(2014-04-17, 21:57)kalikid021 Wrote: Has anyone using AFTV relocated their /userdata/thubmnails folder to a remote location(SMB, NFS, etc) successfully using advancedsettings.xml, and if so has it affected performance of the UI at all. I would like to do this if it is possible.
(2014-04-18, 20:24)jdtimmons Wrote: I'm using the flirc with the harmony one. .. I'm using the default flirc profile which works well with most things but I also accidently stumbled upon a neat little trick. . I'm also using the vizio costar harmony profile (I previously had a costar) mixed in there. Because that profile acts like a keyboard, I can set the keys up however I want on the remote and use the xbmc keymap editor (thanks thess) to map those keys to xbmc function...e.g. remote back button mapped to parent folder. .. Works very well. ...

Cool....can it simulate mouse movements?
(2014-04-18, 20:27)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 20:24)jdtimmons Wrote: I'm using the flirc with the harmony one. .. I'm using the default flirc profile which works well with most things but I also accidently stumbled upon a neat little trick. . I'm also using the vizio costar harmony profile (I previously had a costar) mixed in there. Because that profile acts like a keyboard, I can set the keys up however I want on the remote and use the xbmc keymap editor (thanks thess) to map those keys to xbmc function...e.g. remote back button mapped to parent folder. .. Works very well. ...

Cool....can it simulate mouse movements?

No unfortunately not. .. i use my Logitech tk820 for keyboard and mouse. .. i have a small unpowered USB hub plugged into the firetv so I can plug in the flirc and the Logitech USB receiver. ...
(2014-04-18, 20:26)kalikid021 Wrote: Can anyone offer insight to this?

(2014-04-17, 21:57)kalikid021 Wrote: Has anyone using AFTV relocated their /userdata/thubmnails folder to a remote location(SMB, NFS, etc) successfully using advancedsettings.xml, and if so has it affected performance of the UI at all. I would like to do this if it is possible.

I've done this before, back in Frodo, and it worked fine. It was a tad slower populating the graphics, but nothing too bad. The best part of doing with was it ensured all instances of XBMC showed the same artwork for my media, and it only had to be scraped once.
Since Gotham, though, I haven't really cared about doing it again.
I purchased a flirc to use with my Fire TV. I've read the wiki here and gone to Flirc's site but am confused where to start. I have a URC remote which I want to use to control the Fire TV. It is RF with IR blasters.

So do I plug the flirc into my PC and map the Fire TV remote buttons to the virtual remote on my PC? Assuming I do, once I plug the flirc into the Fire TV how do I get my URC remote to send the correct commands?

Thanks.

--Edit--

Found another video and now I'm thinking I plug the flirc into my PC and use my URC remote to tell it what is up, down etc. And then if I plug it into the Fire TV the Fire should recognize standard up, down and other keyboard presses. Is this second thing correct?
(2014-04-18, 21:24)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I purchased a flirc to use with my Fire TV. I've read the wiki here and gone to Flirc's site but am confused where to start. I have a URC remote which I want to use to control the Fire TV. It is RF with IR blasters.

So do I plug the flirc into my PC and map the Fire TV remote buttons to the virtual remote on my PC? Assuming I do, once I plug the flirc into the Fire TV how do I get my URC remote to send the correct commands?

Thanks.

The Flirc receives IR commands, so it would need to go off of what the IR blaster was sending. Perhaps put an IR blaster on the Flirc, set up your remote as some device (the Flirc figures out how to translate an IR signal into a keyboard stroke, so you can set up your remote as any device), then in the Flirc application you can map your keystrokes to the remote and the RF would then send the signal via the IR blaster to the Flirc to do the mapping.

For example, perhaps you set up your remote as a Visio TV (it's best to use something you don't own to avoid conflicts). Take the RF device, put an IR blaster on the Flirc, plug the Flirc in the computer, and run the Flirc application. It will let you set up all the keystroke commands using the GUI. Then, once you've set up the Flirc, take it out of the computer and plug it into the USB port on the Fire TV. Test and adjust if needed.
(2014-04-18, 21:32)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 21:24)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I purchased a flirc to use with my Fire TV. I've read the wiki here and gone to Flirc's site but am confused where to start. I have a URC remote which I want to use to control the Fire TV. It is RF with IR blasters.

Thanks.

The Flirc receives IR commands, so it would need to go off of what the IR blaster was sending. Perhaps put an IR blaster on the Flirc, set up your remote as some device (the Flirc figures out how to translate an IR signal into a keyboard stroke, so you can set up your remote as any device), then in the Flirc application you can map your keystrokes to the remote and the RF would then send the signal via the IR blaster to the Flirc to do the mapping.

For example, perhaps you set up your remote as a Visio TV (it's best to use something you don't own to avoid conflicts). Take the RF device, put an IR blaster on the Flirc, plug the Flirc in the computer, and run the Flirc application. It will let you set up all the keystroke commands using the GUI. Then, once you've set up the Flirc, take it out of the computer and plug it into the USB port on the Fire TV. Test and adjust if needed.

Thanks. So it does sound like it is the second part of what I put (after the edit which isn't quoted). So forget about my remote presses, the Flirc is going to tell the Fire TV up/down/FF etc. and the Fire TV will understand what the Flirc is sending. I thought I had to tell the Flirc what the Fire TV remote does but that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead the PC part is to have the remote I want to use communicate to the Flirc so it knows what button press is up and what is down. I will test and come back with questions.
(2014-04-18, 19:43)squarecut1 Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 19:01)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 18:59)squarecut1 Wrote: I am new to XBMC and have used it with Windows 7. Considering getting Fire TV specifically for XBMC.

Just wanted to know if the remote can do the same operations as a mouse does on Windows 7 - e.g. right click to bring up menus, going to the Home screen by clicking the Home icon at the bottom right, etc. Is there any guide for someone who is new to using XBMC with a remote?

Thank you.

The Fire TV remote does not have mouse functionalities. You can, however, attach a mouse/Keyboard to the USB port or use MCE remote to carry out mouse operations. BTW, the AFTV remote should be fine for most functions.

Thanks for your response. So if I just get a regular MCE remote, would I need to do anything to configure it to work with XBMC on Fire TV? Or will it work just like that ....sorry, I am a bit new to all this.

Gen 1 Microsoft MCE remotes don't work with FireTV. What's being referred to here is a clone product like this Ortek.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
Hello trying to install XBMC on firetv and im stuck after I connect to ti ip address. what am I suppose to put in here: adb install apk-file-name? any help would greatly be appreciated!!
does FAST FORWARD works in ftv remote control using gotham ? only few movies i tried it forward but the rest no .

is there any solution? maybe i m missing it
(2014-04-18, 22:09)smoothj Wrote: Hello trying to install XBMC on firetv and im stuck after I connect to ti ip address. what am I suppose to put in here: adb install apk-file-name? any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Put the apk in the same folder as adb. Adb install "apk filename.apk"

For example. If you downloaded the newest gotham nightly which the file name is "xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk"

You would type in: adb install xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk
(2014-04-18, 22:16)XmemphistoX Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 22:09)smoothj Wrote: Hello trying to install XBMC on firetv and im stuck after I connect to ti ip address. what am I suppose to put in here: adb install apk-file-name? any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Put the apk in the same folder as adb. Adb install "apk filename.apk"

For example. If you downloaded the newest gotham nightly which the file name is "xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk"

You would type in: adb install xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk
it keeps saying can't find! i am a neebie at this and really am stuck from here? thanks for your help
(2014-04-18, 22:16)XmemphistoX Wrote: You would type in: adb install xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk

You can also rename it xbmc.apk to make it easer to type in the command prompt Wink
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10