Windows guy with XBMCbuntu Questions
"Hello World!"

I am writing this from a successful install of XBMCbuntu 13.0 "Gotham" beta 3 onto a new device.

That device is a low budget build focused on delivering full media entertainment for our family. It is the Intel Next Unit with 2G SO-DIMM, and 32 GB mSATA drive. All for about $220.

Now, I am installing some software. I need to get a printer driver for our wireless network printer and I'd like to install uTorrent for Linux. uTorrent has several versions on their page (HERE), and I don't know how to tell what version of Ubuntu I installed with XBMCbuntu.

Could someone answer that for me, please?

After I get that information, I'll struggle with how to install uTorrent (serious noobie in Linux) - unless someone cares to explain how to run console-like commands shown in THIS POST ON ASKUBUNTU.

Finally, I will come back and ask what the best PVR solution would be for this setup and an old HDHomeRun Dual Tuner "over the air" TV package.

Thanks,
Joe
Hmmm...

I just downloaded Java to install that into my Chrome browser, but I can't seem to run the tar command.

Code:
media@media-desktop:~/Downloads$ tar zxvf jre-7u55-linux-x64.tar.gz

tar (child): jre-7u55-linux-x64.tar.dz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

What am I missing?
(2014-04-18, 21:45)jp2code Wrote: I don't know how to tell what version of Ubuntu I installed with XBMCbuntu.

Could someone answer that for me, please?

Code:
lsb_release -a
Why do you want a printer on a media box?

Or Java?

If you do need Java use the Ubuntu packages.

Mythtv is your best bet for pvr.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-19, 00:05)FishOil Wrote:
Code:
lsb_release -a

Thanks FishOil!

Is there any particular reason why my commands above were not running?

(2014-04-19, 00:48)nickr Wrote: Q1. Why do you want a printer on a media box?

Q2. Or Java?

Q3. If you do need Java use the Ubuntu packages.

Q4. Mythtv is your best bet for pvr.

I had to number all of your comments so you would know which one I was answering.

A1. The printer is needed so when I find a long page of "What To Do" to configure this thing, I can just print it out, then go into XBMC and do it instead of opening XBMC, doing what I can remember, then exiting out to read the instructions again. It kills a little bit if tree, but it's just so freakin' convenient.

A2. http://keepvid.com/ requires Java. We use it to save favorite YouTube videos to the hard drive (as opposed to going there and waiting for Gangnam Style to download every time).

I also wanted to avoid turning my functional PC into a mindless appliance. That's why I went with XBMCbuntu instead of OpenElec (sp?).

A3. If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking why I don't install a full Ubuntu instead of XBMCbuntu. Correct? Well, I suppose that would be because I want to discourage anyone from using this PC as their desktop computer. If not, I don't understand.

A4. We use the PC much more for media than we do for TV. The TV is just to pull in the local news. From what I read, XBMC is better for streaming the media that I already have. MythTV is better for TV. Both can do the other, but not as well. So, our priority went to streaming media.

So, how do I install stuff? I tried copying that java executable into the /users/bin folder to extract from there, but I was told "access denied" - and I'm the only user on the whole system! (Huh)
(2014-04-19, 03:00)jp2code Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 00:05)FishOil Wrote:
Code:
lsb_release -a

Thanks FishOil!

Is there any particular reason why my commands above were not running?

(2014-04-19, 00:48)nickr Wrote: Q1. Why do you want a printer on a media box?

Q2. Or Java?

Q3. If you do need Java use the Ubuntu packages.

Q4. Mythtv is your best bet for pvr.

I had to number all of your comments so you would know which one I was answering.

A1. The printer is needed so when I find a long page of "What To Do" to configure this thing, I can just print it out, then go into XBMC and do it instead of opening XBMC, doing what I can remember, then exiting out to read the instructions again. It kills a little bit if tree, but it's just so freakin' convenient.
I use my laptop or tablet, and anyway you can print from another PC.
Quote:A2. http://keepvid.com/ requires Java. We use it to save favorite YouTube videos to the hard drive (as opposed to going there and waiting for Gangnam Style to download every time).
The xbmc YouTube addon allows downloading.

If you want to install anything though use the Ubuntu tools to do so. don't download random stuff.
Quote:I also wanted to avoid turning my functional PC into a mindless appliance. That's why I went with XBMCbuntu instead of OpenElec (sp?).

A3. If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking why I don't install a full Ubuntu instead of XBMCbuntu. Correct? Well, I suppose that would be because I want to discourage anyone from using this PC as their desktop computer. If not, I don't understand.
no see above
Quote:A4. We use the PC much more for media than we do for TV. The TV is just to pull in the local news. From what I read, XBMC is better for streaming the media that I already have. MythTV is better for TV. Both can do the other, but not as well. So, our priority went to streaming media.
your machine can run mytytv backend to record TV and xbmc to watch it
Quote:So, how do I install stuff? I tried copying that java executable into the /users/bin folder to extract from there, but I was told "access denied" - and I'm the only user on the whole system! (Huh)
there is no /users/bin.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Looking at my desktop, Java is packaged in openjdk-6-jre-headless

To install it
Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless
(2014-04-19, 03:00)jp2code Wrote: A2. http://keepvid.com/ requires Java. We use it to save favorite YouTube videos to the hard drive (as opposed to going there and waiting for Gangnam Style to download every time).

I am hesitant posting this because of piracy concerns. But to download youtube videos all you need is youtube-dl. With that all you need is ssh access, which XBMC allows you to do that. So no need for java.
Why would you need anything other than the addon.
(2014-04-19, 03:38)nickr Wrote: The xbmc YouTube addon allows downloading.

If you want to install anything though use the Ubuntu tools to do so. don't download random stuff.

(2014-04-19, 06:07)jawilljr Wrote: I am hesitant posting this because of piracy concerns. But to download youtube videos all you need is youtube-dl. With that all you need is ssh access, which XBMC allows you to do that. So no need for java.

Is youtube-dl. the YouTube addon? Is there something similar to that available for Windows PCs? That's pretty cool.

How do I find Ubuntu tools? I don't see them in the few menu options I have on the desktop right now. If they are not already in the XBMCbuntu install, how would I add those?

Does the MythTV backed mean I need to install MythTV and then point XBMC to it as a plug-in or is there a separate XBMC piece for that?

Thanks for helping a noobie!
(2014-04-19, 12:45)jp2code Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 03:38)nickr Wrote: The xbmc YouTube addon allows downloading.

(2014-04-19, 06:07)jawilljr Wrote: I am hesitant posting this because of piracy concerns. But to download youtube videos all you need is youtube-dl. With that all you need is ssh access, which XBMC allows you to do that. So no need for java.

Is youtube-dl. the YouTube addon? Is there something similar to that available for Windows PCs? That's pretty cool.

How do I find Ubuntu tools? I don't see them in the few menu options I have on the desktop right now. If they are not already in the XBMCbuntu install, how would I add those?

Does the MythTV backed mean I need to install MythTV and then point XBMC to it as a plug-in or is there a separate XBMC piece for that?

Thanks for helping a noobie!

No, It is a command line utility.
I think you need to spend some time doing some reading at HTTP://wiki.xbmc.org.
OK, I'm trying to enable the YouTube addon, following the details here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:YouTube

Following the INSTALLING piece:

1. Settings
2. Add-ons
3. Get add-ons
4. XBMC.org Add-ons
5. Video Add-ons
6. YouTube
7. Install

OK, there is no XBMC.org YouTube add-on. There are 9 other YouTube add-ons, but nothing by XBMC.org.

Am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Also, could someone quickly remind me how to take a screenshot and how to toggle between FullScreen and Window? I came across those bits before, but I didn't print that screen and I can't find them again.
The one you want lists the author as "The Collective ".

Screenshot is prtscr on your keyboard.

\ takes in and out of fullscreen, although that feature may be disabled on xbmcbuntu I think.
I shut this PC down a moment ago and just relaunched it.

When the PC finished the POST from the BIOS, I got the message:

"Error: diskfilter writes are not supported
Press any key to continue..."

It does not seem to hurt anything, and I see lots of other people reporting this issue. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that or if I should add my error message to the list.

I only say that because I just noticed when I tried the PRINT SCREEN key trick, I got this:

Openbox: Failed to execute child process "scrot" (No such file or directory)

I tried the fix here, but it didn't work for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=876038

That was only on the YouTube plug-in page, though.

On the main screen, I do not get any errors. Did the screenshot work? Is it in the clipboard or saved to a folder somewhere?

I also started following this post:

http://www.armin.ga/2013/11/how-to-fix-p...error.html

The file it is talking about editing, though, "~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml" is not on my system.

Also, it does not appear that XBMCbuntu comes with even a basic text reader for readme files.

Under System Tools on the "Start Button" (Windows talk), I see these:

1. Install Release
2. NVIDIA X Server Settings
3. Printers
4. Synaptic Package Manager
5. UXTerm
6. XTerm

Does "Install Release" mean that I have not finished installing XBMCbuntu?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows guy with XBMCbuntu Questions0