playercorefactory.xml and Windows 8 Netflix app
I got this working on Windows 8.0 and Frodo, like so:

1. Create [Netflix.vbs]:
    Code:
    CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "netflix://"
    WScript.Sleep 5000

2. Create a new folder. Mine is at d:\xbmcprograms, but yours can be wherever you want.
  3. Create an empty/blank file in your new folder called [Netflix.app].
  4. Add these entries to the appropriate sections of [%ProgramFiles(X86)%\XBMC\system\playercorefactory.xml]:
    Code:
    <players>
         <player name="Netflix" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="false">
         <filename>c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe</filename>
         <args>d:\xbmcprograms\netflix.vbs</args>
         <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
         <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
         <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>

<rule name="Netflix" filetypes="app" player="Netflix" />

5. Create [%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml] and add this entry to it:
    Code:
    <videoextensions>
         <add>.app</add>
    </videoextensions>

6. Make sure the <args> in playercorefactory matches the actual path of [Netflix.vbs]
  7. Add folder containing [Netflix.app] to XBMC's video sources:
    On the default (Confluence) skin: Videos -> Files -> Add Videos... / Add the folder containing [Netflix.app]. It should appear in the 'Files' list that you were just looking at.
  8. Restart XBMC

Notes:
  • I was originally having trouble with the "Click OK when playback has ended" prompt, but forcing wscript.exe to wait 5 seconds before exiting fixed that.
  • I originally tried just putting the [Netflix.vbs] file in the library with wscript.exe as the external player with an argument of {1} but I had issues with XBMC locking up when I tried to launch it that way. Using the stub file fixed that. Maybe I'll look into that later.
  • Having the script wait 5 seconds is a hack to work around the fact that I couldn't find documentation on how to programmatically detect whether a Metro/ModernUI/Windows Runtime app was running. If anyone finds this in an API somewhere, can you share?
(2014-04-23, 19:51)mesheree Wrote: I got this working on Windows 8.0 and Frodo, like so:

Create [Netflix.vbs]:
     CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "netflix://"
WScript.Sleep 5000

Create [Netflix.app] -- Stub file, no data

Add these entries to [playercorefactory.xml]:
<players>
<player name="Netflix" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="false">
<filename>c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe</filename>
<args>d:\xbmcprograms\netflix.vbs</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
<rule name="Netflix" filetypes="app" player="Netflix" />

Create [%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml] and added this entry to it:
<videoextensions>
     <add>.app</add>
</videoextensions>

* Make sure the <args> in playercorefactory matches the actual path of [Netflix.vbs]
* Add folder containing [Netflix.app] to video sources
* Restart XBMC

Notes:
I was originally having trouble with the "Click OK when playback has ended" prompt, but forcing wscript.exe to wait 5 seconds before exiting fixed that.
I originally tried just putting the [Netflix.vbs] file in the library with wscript.exe as the external player with an argument of {1} but I had issues with XBMC locking up when I tried to launch it that way. Using the stub file fixed that. Maybe I'll look into that later.

Sorry for the beginner questions:
1. "Add these entries to [playercorefactory.xml]:" I can not find playercorefactory.xml.....?
2. Can you be more specific about: * Add folder containing [Netflix.app] to (video sources).........?
3. Finally using these changes, from within Xbmc where would I be able to start Netflix from?

As you can see by my questions you are speaking a little beyond my knowledge.......so thank you for for extra help and explanation.
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: Sorry for the beginner questions:
I might be good with computers, but you should see what happens when I try to cook something, LOL. We're all beginners in some area.
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 1. "Add these entries to [playercorefactory.xml]:" I can not find playercorefactory.xml.....?
I updated the instructions to include the location.
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 2. Can you be more specific about: * Add folder containing [Netflix.app] to (video sources).........?
I added instructions on how to do this. (It's the same as when you're adding a folder full of videos.)
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 3. Finally using these changes, from within Xbmc where would I be able to start Netflix from?
Videos (on the homescreen) -> Files -> (Whatever you just named your new video source; by default, it's the name of the folder.)
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: As you can see by my questions you are speaking a little beyond my knowledge.......so thank you for for extra help and explanation.
No problem!
(2014-04-23, 23:14)mesheree Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: Sorry for the beginner questions:
I might be good with computers, but you should see what happens when I try to cook something, LOL. We're all beginners in some area.
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 1. "Add these entries to [playercorefactory.xml]:" I can not find playercorefactory.xml.....?
I updated the instructions to include the location.
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 2. Can you be more specific about: * Add folder containing [Netflix.app] to (video sources).........?
I added instructions on how to do this. (It's the same as when you're adding a folder full of videos.)
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: 3. Finally using these changes, from within Xbmc where would I be able to start Netflix from?
Videos (on the homescreen) -> Files -> (Whatever you just named your new video source; by default, it's the name of the folder.)
(2014-04-23, 22:58)iblong Wrote: As you can see by my questions you are speaking a little beyond my knowledge.......so thank you for for extra help and explanation.
No problem!

Thank you!
Two more issues......

1. not sure of your.....Create [%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml] PATH ? Do you mean this: C:\users\aaaa\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\...?..........created file but not sure if I am placing it in correct place which probably leads to number

2. From within XBMC I go to movies > files > xbmcapps and there is nothing there to click on?

I think I am some what on the right track ...........from outside of XBMC I can run netflix.vbs with the correct result.............
(2014-04-24, 18:58)iblong Wrote: 1. not sure of your.....Create [%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml] PATH ? Do you mean this: C:\users\aaaa\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\...?..........created file but not sure if I am placing it in correct place
Yes, that's the right place. You can actually copy/paste %appdata%\XBMC\userdata (percent signs and all) into the file manager's address bar and it will take you there.

(2014-04-24, 18:58)iblong Wrote: 2. From within XBMC I go to movies > files > xbmcapps and there is nothing there to click on?
  • Did you create a blank file called [Netflix.app] in your 'xbmcapps' folder?
  • Did you restart XBMC after making changes to advancedsettings.xml?

(2014-04-24, 18:58)iblong Wrote: I think I am some what on the right track ...........from outside of XBMC I can run netflix.vbs with the correct result.............
Sounds like progress! Big Grin
Wow..........checked everything........??
(2014-04-24, 21:13)iblong Wrote: Wow..........checked everything........??
Waaaaas... that a question?
it was almost but not quite a surrender..............
Is there any way to modify the Netflix.vbs file so that it opens a specific movie/show/episode?
interesting thread.

I was wondering the same thing:

Code:
start netflix://
opens up netflix from command line which is neat,

but I couldn't manage to modify that line so a specific movie or episode opens up.

Can someone help me? It should be possible.

please help!
there must be a specific "address" for a specific movie in the netflix metro app. Does someone please know what the command in command prompt looks like?
(2015-05-18, 12:54)3000 Wrote: there must be a specific "address" for a specific movie in the netflix metro app. Does someone please know what the command in command prompt looks like?

I haven't found any evidence that Netflix implemented this. If they did, I sure haven't figured out how.
thank you for your response! It's a shame it depends on Netflix to support it. I saw an example for bing and it's pretty reliable.
I was able to replicate it for the Netflix website. Unfortunately the Metro App won't work.

It's really annoying.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
playercorefactory.xml and Windows 8 Netflix app0